Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 PM

17 posts, read 66,861 times

Advertisements

I live in Wasilla and have for the past 20 years. I think Wasilla is a great place to live if you are going to live Alaska I think Wasilla is one of the best cities to live in. It has a nice small town feel except it is growing. I dont think the commute it too bad. I think you get used to it. I commuted for awhile. If you can get used to our long winters you will be fine. Summers are beautiful just too short in my opinion.
To the Charter College person if your going there for a job and its a good paying job then I wouldnt worry about what the tuition is. Your not going there to attend school so the tuition wouldnt matter. I know alot of people that go there and like it. I am not sure about the teachers degrees, but I do know that all other teachers have to have a regular teaching degree like in any state. I think you would like it here.
We however would like to move somewhere like Arizona, because the weather is just getting old. We even have thought about Oregon but I dont want to trade snow for rain. lol!
Well, good luck in your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 05:09 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
One more thought about the Charter College gig... Is it for an "admissions" job? I remember seeing these posted on Alaska Job Center Network one time, and they made it clear that it was a sales position, not an administrative or clerical position.
Be sure you know what you are getting into. It may work out great, but go into with your eyes wide open.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:42 PM

17 posts, read 66,861 times
I have seen 2 posted for Charter College and one was for an admissions position. It was not a sales position. Although I am sure there has also been a sales position there. I almost applied for the admissions position but didnt because I didnt meat the qualifaction requirements. But it sounded like a great job for whomever was qualified enough to get it. I think that she or he should be more worried about if they will like and be able to adapt to the weather. If they get offered a good paying job, then finding affordable housing, adapting to the climate and handling the winters are going to be the toughest thing in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I'm a little suspicious of Charter College. My sister in law is going there. They signed her up for $70,000 in student loans. She's a single mom with almost 0 income, so I'm not sure how she thinks she's going to pay that much back.
And, though I love her to death, she's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. Yet, somehow, she's pulling straight A's. Now, maybe she's really applying herself for once, and Charter's instructors are working hard to make sure she's does well... But I'm wondering if maybe good grades are earned or just given.
I also have a friend who is teaching classes there. But, doesn't have any sort of teaching credentials. He's an "expert in his field." From what I've heard, that's how most of the instructors there are qualified.
And any degrees or credits earned there are not transferable to any other academic establishment.
It might not hurt to check with the Better Business Bureau and see if they have recorded any complaints against Charter College.

As far as living in Wasilla goes, I love it. Great place to live.
70,000 in loans? That's more than I owe for going to college for six years! She's going to be making payment of $600 a month and will probably make $12 an hour!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 AM

124 posts, read 276,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Charter College is a school that will accept anyone who is willing to pay their tuition. Waste of money in my opinion with no reputation.
I still have lots of research to do regarding the quality of programs and standards for the school, but I have no issue with the fact that they have open enrollment, meaning they are willing to accept anyone who is willing to pay tuition. Are you aware that University of Alaska also has open enrollment, including their graduate programs?

I've worked for state funded community colleges in Michigan, Washington and Oregon, currently teaching online for a school in Idaho. ALL have open enrollment. I think it is a GOOD thing to make education available to anyone and everyone who has the desire and determination to give it a try.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:58 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malagagirl View Post
I still have lots of research to do regarding the quality of programs and standards for the school, but I have no issue with the fact that they have open enrollment, meaning they are willing to accept anyone who is willing to pay tuition. Are you aware that University of Alaska also has open enrollment, including their graduate programs?

I
I also don't mind the idea of open enrollment. When I decided to go to college as a 27 year old I walked up to the counter at UAF and said I wanted to go. They asked me what I wanted to take and I said I wasn't sure yet. They said "OK, we will accept you as a "special student"". I felt "special".

The point is, they didn't care about much as long as I had the money. And I appreciated that. I was a mediocre high school student, (straight Cs), but a straight A college student. It's all about motivation and I think that is what is good about open enrollment.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyleighs View Post
I live in Wasilla and have for the past 20 years...
We however would like to move somewhere like Arizona, because the weather is just getting old. We even have thought about Oregon but I dont want to trade snow for rain. lol!
Well, good luck in your choice.
I grew up in Arizona and still have family there. The real estate market has taken a SERIOUS nose dive down in the desert valley so you can now buy a NICE 3 bedroom / 2 bath house with over 2000 sq feet for UNDER $100K in some areas. There are so many forclosures and short sales that it makes lenders heads spin. For someone who was not needing to find a job but just wanted to relocate for the climate this is DEFINITELY a buyers market right now.

It's not nearly the same in other areas of the state, but Casa Grande and surrounding communities have A LOT to offer.

As for Oregon... I had to laugh about the rain comment. We live in EASTERN Oregon which is high desert. The west side is lush green with many waterfalls, and moss growing on your north side if you stand still from frequent rain. Where I live (near Pendleton) they have to irrigate to grow crops and the bare fields are mainly open plain with sage brush. Not enough trees for me. Oregon does have some beautiful places but the economy is in the toilet and jobs are very scarce.

It's interesting to see why people land where they do...I've lived in six different states following my husband's career and find that there are great people and grumps both where ever you go.

Climate adjustment WILL be an issue if we end up moving to AK, but I lived in Michigan for 10 yrs so I think I can cope with some winter.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
It's all about motivation and I think that is what is good about open enrollment.
I couldn't agree more. At one of the colleges where I used to work I designed a program to help GED students transition to college. MANY of those students had very poor grades in high school which is why they dropped out. But once they decided to apply themselves and set some meaningful goals they really shined.

Even in this rapidly shifting economy education is STILL one of the best ways for a person to radically change their circumstances. A liberal arts education at a traditional college is great if that is what a person wants. But I happen to believe having other options, such as very focused worker training without all the other "general education" stuff is a good idea. There are many people who just want to get what they need to go to work or to advance in the work they already have. I agree with programs that provide that option so long as they do give meaningful programs that enhance skills. Just issuing certificate because someone paid tuition would be meaningless. The bottom line for me in evaluating a school will be how effective are they at preparing students for their professional fields.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
70,000 in loans? That's more than I owe for going to college for six years! She's going to be making payment of $600 a month and will probably make $12 an hour!
Student loans are the ONLY way many people can go to school these days (whether at a for-profit school OR a state university) and it is a serious concern. My guess is if she is taking out that much of a loan it is NOT just for school expenses, but she may be LIVING on her loan for a while. That may make sense if you can get into a field that will allow you to pay it back, but I know way too many people who have gotten in over their heads with debt. Scary stuff!

While I am aware there are some lenders who have some fairly unscrupulous ways of luring people in, in MOST cases of student financial aid programs staff do explain the details and I would say it is the responsibility of the person borrowing the money to be aware of all the conditions and make a prudent decision. Just because a credit line is offered does not mean the person has to sign on the dotted line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska