Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteveB View Post
Ya know, I've been out to Dutch a few times, and I actually think a b&b might have a shot. I stayed at one in Dillingham that seemed to do ok. The Grand Aleutian is good but often full for extended periods and the other places are pretty rancid

Well, I do know that the tourism trend in general is shifting more to the B&Bs and smaller inns and away from the more canned vacations. I actually want to open one myself on the Island one of these days but I'm not in any great hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 10:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Default windy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotaot View Post
I've had my fill of California. I grew up working on a commercial fishing boat, and have also discovered my love of cooking and I'm quite good at it. I'm told weekly that I should open up my own restaurant! I would also like to be a cook on a FV but don't know who to talk to about that. Only one place to stay in Dutch Harbor? I want to open up an awesome restaurant and bed and breakfast there. I'm needing some thoughts, and why are there no other places other than one option there?
I want to go there for a visit, check out the area, perhaps get a rental to live in or rent a room from a nice family, while I look for other employment in the meantime. Any options?
How many words are there for "wind"?!

Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Possibly another "Deadliest Catch" watcher??? We know a few people who haven't a clue but their whole world since this program aired is "I gotta go to Dutch Harbor" Even trying to explain how far out Dutch Harbor is and that they don't want idjits there, let alone the cost of getting there...these idjits still have it in their minds that this is the end all thing to do in life and if they could live there....heaven! Not a frigg'n clue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
That may have been a touch "harsh". -
Oh that was not in reference to the posters idea of moving there and opening a B&B!! The poster has a plan at least but I do wonder where the choice of location came from...I apologize if it was taken that way.
There has been other discussion on this subject so I wasn't specific as other forum people know what the locals think of these TV watching wanna be people.
I am referring to the idjits I know who have no plan, think they are going to get someone to hire them on a fishing boat (just for one trip mind you) no experience at all and truly believe that someone will "put them up" because "that's the way Alaskan are" these are not young kids they are people in their mid 40's. Now there people who want to be an ice road trucker and they've never even driven a big rig??

Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
How many words are there for "wind"?!
During all the trouble that New Orleans was having with Katrina blowing all the real estate around there, we had shirts pop up in Dutch with two Hurricane flags on it and the Quote below it stating.

"In Dutch, we call Hurricane's Thursdays"

This is a video I shot while we were anchored to a Mooring Buoy in Scan Bay waiting out a "Blow", about sixty miles West of Dutch Harbor. We were waiting out a storm like the one that had just grounded and broke in half a Freighter called the Selendang Ayu back behind us. These are normal storms there, not the exception. Our airspeed indicator had broken at about 120+ knots earlier. As you watch the video, you can see the wind picking up as it comes across the bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rjIyvJY2SM

Old 12-15-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well...I'm not sure what all Dutch has out there, but there might be room for a good little B@B; I'm sure the television show is creating some interest among other parts of the world concerning visitation to the area.
They have a lot of people come out to watch the Whales when they arrive in large numbers. There is some world class fishing for Halibut too as well as others come to see the WWII remnants of some 40,000+ U.S. Troops stationed there.

Most of those that come there are on some kind of "Plan" where their lodging is already part of the package.

Sadly, there is a large number of people that watched the "Deadliest Catch" and figure they can just walk up to a crabbing boat and get a job (any boat, since most don't have a clue to what they are looking for)... Almost all find they have spent almost Two Thousand dollars for a round trip ticket from Anchorage and back....

Old 12-18-2009, 05:26 PM

39 posts, read 74,764 times
I can see how Alaskans get annoyed at people going up there because they saw deadliest catch or ice road truckers lol.

I hope I'm not that naive I've been thinking about coming up for a few years and I have done my research. Just waiting for the right opportunity. I don't want to be lumped in with the "idjits"

Old 12-20-2009, 10:29 PM

I don't know if there is such a thing as the "Right time"...

People come here with all the "t's" crossed and "i's" dotted and can't wait to get the H**l out of here after the first winter.

Others come on vacation, and never leave.

It is mostly a State of mind that you have, the rest is easy....

Old 06-08-2010, 01:13 AM

8 posts, read 25,079 times
I think a B & B would do okay, if it weren't for the price of land and even worse... the price of building on the land! I do wish someone would open a decent place to eat (cheaper than the Grand). I usually regret going out before I even pay the bill. I have a million ideas myself, but no money to back them up (typical story, right?). I say, if you have the money and you have a dream, there's probably a way to make it happen.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
I just got back from a week stay in Dutch and I have to say WAY WAY too much local politics! There is no freaken way I could ever live there. GAG!

But on the other hand, for visiting, the local restaurants serve some pretty delicious foods!

Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM

100 posts, read 224,041 times
Default Been in and out of Dutch for thirty years

when there was nothing going on and weather was kind, getting a room was not a problem. However, when there were no planes in or out for several days, Holy Cr**. In 198? got an unfinished room at the Unisea when it was under construction.

And we called them good old days?also the Unisea ordered beer by van load so it was one flavor at a time one time it was Schlitz EEEEWWWW. Thanks Goodness for the Elbow Room ( please pause for a moment of silence, thank you).

I worked logging camps for about 20 years and gradually got into the maritime industry.
Several people over the years have suggested (some offfering backing), that I offer a bunkhouse type thing here in K-town. There are several big homes for sale here--deal was to put bunks in the bedrooms and offer breakfast and dinner?

I had a room in a house like this in Kodiak, two rooms were private and the othere two had bunks and the owner had two meals a day, yummy too!

What I found even more lucrative was what one gal here did--she had a deal with fishing boat charters and with hunting guides--since many of these guys come back each year, she is booked ahead.
I worked at a cross country ski lodge in Idaho, after the second year we we always booked for the following year, cha ching!

Keep in touch,
Nan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska