Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:42 AM

39 posts, read 74,701 times

Advertisements

I've been on this city-data thing before when I was looking for housing in Kansas, never really thought much about my name but it's the name of my favorite baseball team. Being able to go to LA Angels or LA Kings games will be the only thing I will miss besides some family and a couple of friends.
But that's okay because I've already read up on the Kenai River Brown Bears and Peninsula Oilers.

I remember in Kansas what they called traffic was a 2 minute delay on your trip across town. I've spent months in traffic inhaling exhaust, getting the finger, and on my bike getting nearly run down every day. During the summer I wouldn't be driving around town anyway as riding my mtn bike is one of my favorite activities. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

I'm wondering how my short haired skinny pup will do out there. I know he will like it but at what point do the dogs need to come inside? I know huskies and malamutes and some other dogs can live outside in almost any temp but I'm thinking there would be a cutoff for a dog like him. Where we lived in KS it dipped into the -5 sometimes -10 range and he was fine but anything lower than that worries me a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:51 AM

I looked into changing the name I can't find a place to do it...

Old 12-20-2009, 11:52 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
No dog should live outside in Alaska, even in the so called moose free areas. Not saying they shouldn't be outdoors a lot, but when you aren't home, or at night, leave them indoors please. But you're asking about the temps more than the other hazards. My dog would go outdoors in 40-50 below long enough to do what he needed to do and then come back inside. Sometimes he'd stay out longer when the temps weren't so extreme. I kinda let him decide for how long he wants to be out.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:55 AM

Yeah I guess I did sorta forget about wildlife running through the yard I was only thinking about temperature. He's a good indoor dog so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks Met.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 AM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
Far be it for me to tell anyone how to treat their pets, but I'd think anything below 20 degrees is getting a bit too cold for a Weimaraner. My friend has one, and it wears a jacket when it gets below 40. If not, the dog starts shaking. They're definitely not built for cold weather. His is a little on the bald side, though, so maybe yours has a better coat. I'm not sure if his coat would thicken in the cold weather. I have an Akita with a double coat, and I let him inside when the temps fall below 20 if I'm going to be gone, though he's built for cold weather. I certainly wouldn't leave him outside in below zero weather.

Edit: Let me go ahead and cop to it right now- my dog's a big time spoiled baby who is inside all four seasons, whenever he wants to be. He enjoys the outdoors, too, but he likes to lounge around indoors.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
You won't have much worse of a problem on the Peninsula with temps that you did in Kansas for the most part, except for the deep freeze times when it drops to about -20 or so for about a week. We had a fence for ours (cockers), and they went in and out when needed. I never put them out and left them out, short of a couple times in the summer when we went fishing and didn't want them inside alone that long, and they had the deck to go underneath if it rained, otherwise we took them with. They had a problem thinking they were human and would do bad things if left more than a few hours kind of like kids...

Old 12-20-2009, 12:19 PM

Yep he would be coming with me on adventures for sure. He always covers twice the distance by running ahead and coming back. He is one of those dogs that will never tire on you and yeah he is pretty spoiled too. He's already been to more states than most of my friends!

Grannysroost what city in AZ are you in? I have been all over that state when I was in school...most people are shocked when they see pictures of forests and mountains in AZ for some reason many people think it's one huge desert. Sedona is one of my favorite places in the country, I recommend it to anybody. I need to find my collection of Arizona pics to share.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:40 PM

251 posts, read 679,747 times
Eh its ok, the grammer montra is starting to sound like a broken record though, I guess some people on here are making there forum posts into PhD thesisis but im not.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:59 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
Eh its ok, the grammer montra is starting to sound like a broken record though, I guess some people on here are making there forum posts into PhD thesisis but im not.
Grammar, mantra, thesis, and I'm are all spelled wrong.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Warpt, you forgot "there" (their).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska