Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:46 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
That is going to be a brutal trip in Feb. They are going to start out in somewhat mild weather and by they time they get to Tok, the temps can be in the -50 region really quickly and most aren't going to be dressed for or expecting it.

They will be following a lot of roads, going to be rough on the machines too, lots of gravel in the track systems and such with all the road crossings...

Still would like to make the trip though, but will be working...
he has a great "safety blog" spot on the website. I know the ride from MA into upper Canada your gear (clothing, boots etc) has to be checked out and approved before you can ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:48 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
it seems to me that it could better benefit diabetes awareness and research if they just didn't go, saved all the money they'd spend on fuel/food/lodging, and donated it to diabetes research/awareness.
then they could spend 20 days educating schoolchildren on why they should stop eating so much junk.
i think it would probably have a much better effect. however, it would not involve lots of beer drinking and storytelling/bragging...hence it'd be hard for any self-respecting man to get behind.

that's just my long way of saying that i think this is much more about taking a trip, and that the diabetes research fundraising was just a way to help get sponsors and ease costs. and it sounds like it would be a lot of fun.
Actually, eating candy, unless you are going through pounds of it a day for years, does not,in any way contribute to someone getting diabetes, it is a problem, sometimes, for someone with diabetes. But....excessive drinking, even of beer, can overload the Isles of Langerhan and send them into shock, creating diabetes. Alcohol, as metabolized by the system, turns into sugar. Historically, Alcoholics tend to have trouble with both their pancreas and Liver, other areas as well, these are just the "red flags".

Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM

854 posts, read 1,978,552 times
well, depending on the age of the person you're trying to teach about this, you may not want to mention that. some kids will just go giggly at the first mention of alcohol and then you've lost the whole class!
but yes, you're right. though if you were to see the sheer volume of candy/gum/soda consumed by some of the students i teach, you'd probably be shocked...

Old 12-22-2009, 02:06 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,876 times
More power to all doing something regarding health education and cures - snowmachiners and teachers alike.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:02 PM

i was just thinking that it would cost several thousand dollars per person to make such a trip...multiply that times 90 people, and you'd have a hell of a donation to research. hundreds of thousands of dollars can go a long way...

Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
i was just thinking that it would cost several thousand dollars per person to make such a trip...multiply that times 90 people, and you'd have a hell of a donation to research. hundreds of thousands of dollars can go a long way...
that's just fine....give me your address and I will send you a donation request just like all the other thousands of groups who solicit money and no one actually participates in the fund raiser! bet you will not send money just as other do with that kind of solicitation....file it in the waste basket! They are raising money and ENJOYING something in life in doing so!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:56 PM

well, i thoroughly checked out the website, looked at the itinerary, as well as the list of donors. assuming they spend personal money on the trip itself, simply not going and donating the amount it would cost them would end up being a lot more money than the amount that they are raising. that is the only point i am trying to make.
i still think it sounds like a fun trip, but if they are really trying to raise money for research, they wouldn't be spending $300,000 in order to raise $25,000.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,876 times
Very fair point bortstc, I was just trying to take the optimistic path, which is not a normal path for me to choose.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,779,774 times
As with any fundraising event, you'd be suprised at the cents on each dollar that are actually reaching the recepients...

Old 12-28-2009, 03:15 AM

400 posts, read 469,299 times
Quote:
Ive read this entire thread and I think that what your thinking is correct if we were all robots and sat on our fanny's and just made money to donate. But...

These snowmobiliers love to snowmobile. That is the fact, it is their sport in the winter. There are people that get on snow machines and travel trails for miles and miles for fun in the winter. I grew up in that type of atmosphere. If these people want to get together to raise funds, doing what is a sport for them, then why not? They are going to make some money for a charity and research.

Your suggestion that they all stay home and just donate the money it would take for them to make such a trip isn't totally fullfilling for them. At least give them respect for what the cahoney's they have to even take on such a huge task to try and make people aware of a desease, and raise some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: