Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:54 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
The only problem with northslope jobs is you dont just apply for them on alaska jobs.com or carrerbuilder you have to know the right people to get on up there in any capacity and building your network could take a few years and alot of people start off working in town and get to know the guys in the in town shop and start from there. Also north slope jobs are really poor jobs for anyone with a girlfriend or a wife, at best you will be a one and one which is still a week away from the significant other and is not good on the "maritial relations" if you know what I mean especially if you are both young (cough cough sex). They are taking away alot of the bennies of working on the northslope now because people are more desperate for jobs so the northslope is not what it used to be, used to be back in the gravy train days you could take a 30-40% pay jump going to the slope thoes days are gone (from overtime, time and a half, double time, all sorts of multiplyers and your paycheck was sky high, all gone now). I would never work on the slope, I would leave the state before I went to work on the slope in a full rotation, day trips or overnight is ok but rotations would suck.

Also regarding getting out during the day, I dont know about other people but I work from 8 to 5 so its dark when I drive to work and dark when I get off work so the best you can hope for is getting out during your 2 whole weekend days and take vit E supplements. You could try to get outside during your lunch hour or something, every little bit helps but the bottom line is the work day pretty much consumes all the day light hours. If you can swing a window office with a view that would help, of course once again thats usually pretty rare. I know the SAD (seasonal effective disorder) effects people but I have never seen it effect people unless there are unfavorable circumstances tied to it, like your fiancial issues, family issues/drama, work issues/drama, etc. People who's lives are happy, SAD has a fairly nominal effect on them, the seasonal disorder is usually the ising on the cake of worse problems in your life. If you live in san diego and are unemployed you can just say eh I will just go to the beach and chill out and can forget about your problems for a few min but in alaska the miserable weather conditions and darkness will amplify any issues you have.

Everyone is saying January a bunch of work is going to be starting, I will believe it when I see it, BP just had a bunch of slope workers quit because of drama from London and CPA is capping oil producing wells so thats not a good start.

Another worthless post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 10:59 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Where did the OP ask about the slope? She needs to make a trip up to Anchorage and stop in for the wonderful food and beverages at the Moose's Tooth!

Old 12-26-2009, 11:02 AM

140 posts, read 470,889 times
i like it here. haven't been on this board in months...

Old 12-26-2009, 11:58 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Last I heard Parker Drilling is still hiring. On a 28 on 28 off schedule. Doyon Drilling is fixing to fire up rig 141 and rig 15. Inlet Drilling Alaska is firing up the Glacier Rig this next month on the Kenai. CPA/Peak will be building the iceroad to Alpine field from Kuparuk. BP has some spills to clean up yet. CPA is firing up the Nordic rig 3 as I speak in Kuparuk.

All these have offices in town, weather in Anch or Kenai.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:35 PM

251 posts, read 680,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Last I heard Parker Drilling is still hiring. On a 28 on 28 off schedule. Doyon Drilling is fixing to fire up rig 141 and rig 15. Inlet Drilling Alaska is firing up the Glacier Rig this next month on the Kenai. CPA/Peak will be building the iceroad to Alpine field from Kuparuk. BP has some spills to clean up yet. CPA is firing up the Nordic rig 3 as I speak in Kuparuk.

All these have offices in town, weather in Anch or Kenai.
Cool we will see if this activitiy translates into new jobs in 2010, it would be nice.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,218 times
also, it's vitamin D that people need to supplement with lack of sunlight, not vitamin E.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:59 PM

251 posts, read 680,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
also, it's vitamin D that people need to supplement with lack of sunlight, not vitamin E.
Oh ok vit E must be what helps vit C to absorb better to prevent illness, im sure there is vit D in my multi vit though. So yea you probably want a healthy dose of all three every day.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
Oh ok vit E must be what helps vit C to absorb better to prevent illness, im sure there is vit D in my multi vit though. So yea you probably want a healthy dose of all three every day.
Folic Acid helps absorption. Vitamin E assists blood flow and healing. Vitamin C scientifically gives one expensive urine however people swear by it.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:38 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Folic Acid helps absorption. Vitamin E assists blood flow and healing. Vitamin C scientifically gives one expensive urine however people swear by it.
And "Super B-Complex" supplements will help you to really pee a rainbow...

Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
It appears that some of the posters here are suffering as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska