Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:34 PM

355 posts, read 821,887 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to the wonderful folks in here. My name is Kyle Lening and I am 23 years old. My wife and I have just graduated college and are seriously considering a move to Alaska. She has a teaching degree, and I have mine in criminal justice. I have recently applied to the Alaska State Troopers and am awaiting my testing date in June. Given the oppurtunity to get selected to be a cadet we will be moving up to Alaska once I complete the academy. Your threads have been a wonderful tool in my research on your great state and I just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to come here and help those of us who are considering Alaska as a place to make our home. We have a son named Cash who just turned 6 months old. We feel that we are young enough and if given an oppurtunity to venture to Alaska that we will take advantage of it. Worst case scenario we can always come back to Oklahoma.

If things pan out, my family wouldn't be moving up there until after I completed the academy, so we have a little bit more than a year to plan our move. During that time I will be working as a pipeline inspector and plan to save all of our money to help with the move. The AST recruiters have been very helpful as well in getting us information on programs used to help transplants move up there, as well as real estate agents, etc. I have found that everyone from Alaska has been more than willing to give me as much information as possible and are super friendly. I pray I get a chance to raise my son there.

We are a very outdoorsy family. My wife and I hunt whitetails down here alot. We also chase stripers on Lake Texoma where we live. I'm not sure what it is that makes us seek Alaska out as I can become a state trooper and she can teach anywhere, but something has called us both to your state.

I have researched some things though and haven't found many answers and I as hoping I could ask in here.....but what are the typical energy costs in Alaska. By energy I mean a monthly cost for electricity and your heat source during the coldest times of the year. I realize groceries are going to be about 60$ a week more expensive.....we plan to purchase a home, but I do know that rent is going to be expensive while we search. How about auto insurance??? I currently pay 214$ a month for full coverage on two new vehicles. My electric bill averages 200$ a month and that includes my heating as my house is total electric. Rent runs around 1100$ a month.

And the final question I have is internet service. How hard is it to get a high speed internet service? I currently use verizon wireless and it runs 60$ a month.

I really have no control over what my post will be after completing the academy, so I can't pin point a location at this time. I know the first year will be sitka, soldotka ( I know it's spelled wrong ), or fairbanks, but after that its up to the AST.

To be honest, even if I do not get accepted the first time I apply we are seriously considering the move if I can find a decent paying job. We just really want the adventure, and feel it will bring us all close together in order to survive.

Thanks again for all the info.

Kyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,283,499 times
Keep in mind, they're not going to put you on the road system as a new hire. They'll place you off system for the first year or two. This means Bush Alaska anywhere from Kodiak to Barrow.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:51 PM

20,846 posts, read 17,193,348 times
I don't know much about this but is it more attractive for the Troopers to hire someone who has previously been a sworn officer for several years?

Old 12-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Keep in mind, they're not going to put you on the road system as a new hire. They'll place you off system for the first year or two. This means Bush Alaska anywhere from Kodiak to Barrow.
According to them I can bid for anywhere I want and most times you get your bid if they have an opening. But regardless I'll do whatever is asked of me. I have a buddy who went up there and he served his 1 year probabtion in sitka, and then was posted there too.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I don't know much about this but is it more attractive for the Troopers to hire someone who has previously been a sworn officer for several years?
You bet, any law enforcement experience you have it gonna be beneficial in the hiring process, but they are also seeking people without LEO experience as well. I have been in LE for 3 years, 2.5 as an officer.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:41 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,482,072 times
Welcome and best of luck!

Old 12-23-2009, 09:15 PM

6,273 posts, read 5,099,906 times
Some threads on Officer.Com re: AST
Alaska - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Welcome.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:34 PM

20,846 posts, read 17,193,348 times
Depending on your post there are many providers for internet. Hi Speed is not as high as you are used to I can bet. costs vary.

Your heating costs will vary widely as well. The best you can expect is company housing that subsidizes part of your rent and all the rest. Rents in Anchorage you can search for here and get an idea. It's not cheap. Purchasing a home is a much better idea when you do get to that point in time.

If you arrive let everyone know. I am sure people here will give you pointers. If it is your heart to be here than just show up.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Some threads on Officer.Com re: AST
Alaska - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Welcome.

I've been lurking there as well. Thanks for the link, I actually found it on here a few weeks ago. Like I said above, this site has been a great asset in my research. I'm due in Anchorage in June for a visit, and hopefully a testing week as well.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:24 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,752,013 times
You don't even need to worry about purchasing a home for the first 5 year. AST bids posts based on seniority. It will be sometime before you have enough to get into a permanent post. Even then promotions beyond Trooper rank could take you to other places in Alaska. Being retired from AST I'm very familiar with the bid and transfer process. In some remote village locations you couldn't even buy a house because there aren't any for sale.

Last edited by stiffnecked; 12-23-2009 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska