U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2010, 09:46 AM
 
89 posts, read 151,745 times
Reputation: 77

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I want to do this after watching it on the Food Network...

Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives: A North Pole Christmas : Diners, Drive-ins and Dives : Food Network

I'm heading in next month!
Since I moved here 2 weeks ago I've been to two of these restaurants on this show and on sunday going to the Elfs Den. When you come to fairbanks get in touch with me and we can go to some of these restaurants if you want,that is if you want someone to hang out with...LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2010, 09:52 AM
 
Location: on top of a mountain
6,992 posts, read 11,422,419 times
Reputation: 3264
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I want to do this after watching it on the Food Network...

Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives: A North Pole Christmas : Diners, Drive-ins and Dives : Food Network

I'm heading in next month!
JoeJoe...I think you are ignoring your future calling!! Ultimate Road Foodie....you could travel all the time and write everything off on taxes....take pictures of everything....somebody would publish you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,368 posts, read 34,965,744 times
Reputation: 13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoistoFairbanks View Post
Since I moved here 2 weeks ago I've been to two of these restaurants on this show and on sunday going to the Elfs Den. When you come to fairbanks get in touch with me and we can go to some of these restaurants if you want,that is if you want someone to hang out with...LOL
I'll keep that in mind!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
2,726 posts, read 4,829,227 times
Reputation: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardson59 View Post
What are some ideas for us? I'm not even sure where to begin when it comes to a visit to alaska, i've checked around some websites, but wanted some personal opinions if you can spare the moment!
So many options... But, to keep it simple, but to get a good overview of where 80% of Alaskans live: Fly into Anchorage and rent a car. Plan 2 days to drive to Seward, Kenai/Soldotna & Homer. You can find hotel in any of those three places.
In Seward see the Exit Glacier. In Homer go out on the Spit. On the way down stop off at the Russian River Ferry. Also make the detour to Portage Glacier and do the 1 hour cruise. A trip through the Whittier tunnel is good too.

Plan 4 days to drive up the Parks Hwy to Fairbanks. Coming back to Anchorage, take the Richardson to the Glenn. On the way up, stop in at Talkeetna. At mile 147 is the Veteran's Memorial with a great view of the Denali, if it's not covered by clouds.

This is just a start... Order a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner.

Random list of good things to do (pardon some spelling errors):
Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage
Portage Glacier
Exit Glacier
Russian River
Homer Spit
Kenai's North Beach
Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage
Tony Knowles Coastal Trail in Anchorage
Anchorage Museum
Anything on the Alaska Railroad
Katami National Park
Flight seeing out of Anchorage, Talkeetna or Denali National Park
Pioneer Park in Fairbanks
The Trans Alaska Pipeline in either Fox or Glenallen or along the road to Valdez
Keystone Canyon outside of Valdez
Talkeetna, especially the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge. Go into the foyer and then out onto the deck.
Mile 147 Parks Hwy.
Ruth Glacier Overlook on the Parks Highway
Matanuska Glacier
Ship Creek Dam in Anchorage
Alaska Wildberry/Sourdough Mining Company in Anchorage
Pt. Worozoff in Anchorage
Drive over Hatcher's Pass (June through September in a good car)
Fishing Charters out of Seward, Homer, Anchor Point, Ninlchick, etc...

There's a ton more, but this should get you started...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
11,838 posts, read 26,768,610 times
Reputation: 2798
Great find warpt!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Northeast Ohio
20 posts, read 33,399 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Up between Canada and Russia, or if you watch national -48 weather it is down south of Texas somewhere....
are you saying that it's NOT south of texas..screw it.. i'm not coming!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Northeast Ohio
20 posts, read 33,399 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
So many options... But, to keep it simple, but to get a good overview of where 80% of Alaskans live: Fly into Anchorage and rent a car. Plan 2 days to drive to Seward, Kenai/Soldotna & Homer. You can find hotel in any of those three places.
In Seward see the Exit Glacier. In Homer go out on the Spit. On the way down stop off at the Russian River Ferry. Also make the detour to Portage Glacier and do the 1 hour cruise. A trip through the Whittier tunnel is good too.

Plan 4 days to drive up the Parks Hwy to Fairbanks. Coming back to Anchorage, take the Richardson to the Glenn. On the way up, stop in at Talkeetna. At mile 147 is the Veteran's Memorial with a great view of the Denali, if it's not covered by clouds.

This is just a start... Order a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner.

Random list of good things to do (pardon some spelling errors):
Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage
Portage Glacier
Exit Glacier
Russian River
Homer Spit
Kenai's North Beach
Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage
Tony Knowles Coastal Trail in Anchorage
Anchorage Museum
Anything on the Alaska Railroad
Katami National Park
Flight seeing out of Anchorage, Talkeetna or Denali National Park
Pioneer Park in Fairbanks
The Trans Alaska Pipeline in either Fox or Glenallen or along the road to Valdez
Keystone Canyon outside of Valdez
Talkeetna, especially the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge. Go into the foyer and then out onto the deck.
Mile 147 Parks Hwy.
Ruth Glacier Overlook on the Parks Highway
Matanuska Glacier
Ship Creek Dam in Anchorage
Alaska Wildberry/Sourdough Mining Company in Anchorage
Pt. Worozoff in Anchorage
Drive over Hatcher's Pass (June through September in a good car)
Fishing Charters out of Seward, Homer, Anchor Point, Ninlchick, etc...

There's a ton more, but this should get you started...
Excellent. Thanks for the help and humerous comments everyone
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top