Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:52 PM

119 posts, read 1,027,944 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I didn't wan't to go up there, and have nothing to do. I just didn't know how 'shut down' the towns are. I'm not too worried about where I go. Just want to relax, and not worry about being somewhere at some time, other than getting home. Might go to Juneau, and just enjoy, or upto Fairbanks, and see the northern lights.

Vancouver was another decent idea. Hell, I could even drive there. But I was looking to just get on a plane and going somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 01:56 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
I worked the ramp for AS for six years in KTN. Unless you just plan on relaxing in a hotel room there really isn't much to do during your time frame. Hike in the rain? Watch the drunks stumble out of the bars in the evening? Go down to Safeway and listen to everyone complain about the high prices?

I'd probably make a trip to PHX or LAS for a couple of days. At least you'd have a chance of some sunshine or a cheap buffet in Vegas.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I thought about south, but I just enjoy Alaska.

Ok, so when DO the towns start to liven up? When would be a good time to fly in, when they are living up, but also not over run with cruise ships, or tourists our the yin yang?

Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Last few weeks in April and the first week in May. Things are starting to wake up but the masses of tourists haven't started arriving.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas AG View Post
Yeah, I thought about south, but I just enjoy Alaska.

Ok, so when DO the towns start to liven up? When would be a good time to fly in, when they are living up, but also not over run with cruise ships, or tourists our the yin yang?
I really think that you could have an enjoyable visit to Craig any time of the year--just have a back up plan if weather conditions don't allow you to fly. We have had some beautiful weather here in Jan/Feb, but there really is no predicting it.

It sounds like you only have 3 days; that time of year, I'd spend the 3 days in the same place rather than attempting side trips. But if I were going to do one, I'd take the ferry from Ketchikan to Prince of Wales, spend the night, and go back the next morning. The ferry ride is an experience in it's own right.

One of the best things about these small Alaskan towns is that during the off season, the locals come out of hiding.

You might consider going farther North though...fly into Fairbanks and spend some time at Chena Hot Springs.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 PM

471 posts, read 1,062,313 times
There is a hotel up in barrow:
The hotel is called the airport inn, apparently its a very nice clean hotel, the price is like 110 a night (very low for barrow) ... and if you want to see an aurora Barrow is the place to be.

I don't know your budget... but right now there seems to be a bit of hussle and bustle over there, and even if you don't get to do much... there are nice things to see around barrow. I can give you the name of some people up there who you can talk to about relaxing things to do.

Sorry that your initial plans are kinda crumbling. :P Thats what we are good at doing here at CD, ruining dreams of Alaska

Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Nah, its alright. I'm thinking of rather than doing a 3 day trip, of doing shorter 2 day, overnight trips to the different little spots Alaska Air flies to. Would be more economical to just fly in in the morning, and fly out the next night. That way, if the town is a total bust, I'm not spending 3 days there.

Thanks for all the info and advice so far. I really do appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska