Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 PM

9 posts, read 28,549 times

Advertisements

Visiting Alaska has been one of my dreams since I was very young. My daughter and I want to come up and experience the culture. We want to see Mt. McKinley, the Sealife Center, Museums, and just experience Alaska the way the every-day, working-class person does because we are every-day, working-class people. We like the rural lifestyle better than the big city but we do want the conveniences of running water, electricity, and phone. From my research I have learned that some areas are not developed but are still beautiful. I would like to visit a Church of God while I'm there, but what other activities can we get into so that we get to socialize with more than other tourists? We are thinking about coming in the early Fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:40 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
What would you consider to be early fall, because fall in Alaska comes much sooner than in Arkansas and is pretty short up here in comparison. It usually snows by Halloween. I lived in Fayetteville for 14 years and loved the fall there.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Go hiking in Hatchers Pass. I've actually made a few friends hiking with my dog up there. I also suggest hiking on Mantanuska Glacier. Hatchers Pass is free and Mantanuska Glacier is only $15 to enter.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Default Trip Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by setapart View Post
Visiting Alaska has been one of my dreams since I was very young. My daughter and I want to come up and experience the culture. We want to see Mt. McKinley, the Sealife Center, Museums, and just experience Alaska the way the every-day, working-class person does because we are every-day, working-class people. We like the rural lifestyle better than the big city but we do want the conveniences of running water, electricity, and phone. From my research I have learned that some areas are not developed but are still beautiful. I would like to visit a Church of God while I'm there, but what other activities can we get into so that we get to socialize with more than other tourists? We are thinking about coming in the early Fall.
Another option is to read the Alaska travel forum of other people's itineraries- there are tons of ideas & helpful Alaska travel experts:

Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska - TripAdvisor

Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Random list of good things to do (pardon some spelling errors):
Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage
Portage Glacier
Exit Glacier
Russian River
Homer Spit
Kenai's North Beach
Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage
Tony Knowles Coastal Trail in Anchorage
Anchorage Museum
Anything on the Alaska Railroad
Katami National Park
Flight seeing out of Anchorage, Talkeetna or Denali National Park
Pioneer Park in Fairbanks
The Trans Alaska Pipeline in either Fox or Glenallen or along the road to Valdez
Keystone Canyon outside of Valdez
Talkeetna, especially the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge. Go into the foyer and then out onto the deck.
Mile 147 Parks Hwy.
Ruth Glacier Overlook on the Parks Highway
Matanuska Glacier
Ship Creek Dam in Anchorage
Alaska Wildberry/Sourdough Mining Company in Anchorage
Pt. Worozoff in Anchorage
Drive over Hatcher's Pass (June through September in a good car)
Fishing Charters out of Seward, Homer, Anchor Point, Ninlchick, etc...

There's a ton more, but this should get you started...

Old 01-08-2010, 06:34 PM

Hey, thanks alot. Sounds like interesting things to do and see.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:37 PM

By "early fall" I mean September-ish.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks. Very informative site.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setapart View Post
By "early fall" I mean September-ish.

Thought so, it's so nice in Arkansas that time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska