Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times

Advertisements

what else can we find to get stupid over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 01:00 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
what else can we find to get stupid over?
the fact that Massachusetts is a Commonwealth and not a state!???

Old 06-19-2010, 04:29 AM

5 posts, read 12,084 times
I just baught my daughter that Tee, it is great and she gets lots of comments on it. Lots of chuckles too. Its worth the price. Oh, we are Alaskans.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
the fact that Massachusetts is a Commonwealth and not a state!???
lol Now hold up, you may just have something there, cause that's just not right.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:04 PM

941 posts, read 1,793,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
The United States is the "Union" (as in, union of states). That's why every year the President gives a "State of the Union" address. Texas was a Confederate State during the Civil War, at which time they were not part of the Union, having seceded from it. Once the war was over the Confederate States were (forcibly) brought back into the Union. Sheesh, indeed.
I think the Civil War was fought on the belief the Confederate States didn't have the right to secede from the Union. Under that scenario since the Northern States won that war wouldn't it be logical to say if the action wasn't possible then they were never separated from the Union? I can't recall there was ever a 'bringing the States back into the Union" but there was a requirement they take an oath of allegiance before certain things could occur. I can't exactly remember what conditions were imposed before they were allowed to form new governments following the capitulation.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:17 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
lol Now hold up, you may just have something there, cause that's just not right.
I stand corrected only 4 states are Commonwealths.....

Massachusetts, like Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Kentucky, is called a "Commonwealth". Commonwealths are states, but the reverse is not true. Legally, Massachusetts is a commonwealth because the term is contained in the Constitution. In the era leading to 1780, when the state Constitution was ratified, a popular term for a whole body of people constituting a nation or state was the word "Commonwealth." This term was the preferred usage of some political writers. There also may have been some anti-monarchic sentiment in using the word "Commonwealth." The name, which in the eighteenth century was used to mean "republic"......lots more on website
CIS: State Symbols

Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 AM

^Much of our states history may define us even today.

However, as for as the t-shirt I was like now what? As the statement does not make sense to me. Born in Houston and raised in East Texas, the only thing I think of when I think of Alaska is, it's cold there. Much too cold for my blood.

Response to previous posters:
Quote:
And Alaska isn't as hot as hell most of the year (maybe Texas is hell???).

You can always put more clothes on to get warmer, but you can't take enough off to get cool when you're in a furnace.
There is shade to cool one off, unlike hell, but not enough heat to keep one alive, in the freezing temps of some areas.

Besides, too many clothes is binding to my body, less is more.

We lived in Colorado Springs for a time. When I announced to our landlord we would be returning to Texas, he asked, why would anyone want to live in a state that it rains allot? I answered, if our car breaks down on the side of the road (it does happen even with the newest of vehicles) walking home in the rain, one only gets wet. Walking home in freezing temps, one turns into a human Popsicle.

Quote:
I am really surprised there aren't a lot more pissed off Texans in this thread. They are sensitive people, and way too proud of something they did not accomplish.
What did Texas set out to accomplished that they did not succeed doing? What would that possibly have to do with the people of Alaska?

My father came to Texas in the late 40's from North Dakota. He loved Texas and studied in his spare time Texas history. The more he read, the more he came to love Texas. So---I do not understand.

When I studied the history of Texas government in college, I came to appreciate the state a bit more. I tried hard to see, just what it was, that my father saw and came to love. I did not see 'proud and sensitive' yet a pride in hard work, labor intensive, with a set of values derived from such.

Quote:
I know a guy that says everything's big in Big Texas. He doesn't live there anymore.
That person did not see the raccoons I saw that inhabited the Colorado Springs area or the deer. Wow.

I took on a newspaper route that took me to the backside of a housing facility for the elderly. They were small apartments built in a circle. One morning I drove up to leave a paper on a doorstep, to see in front of me the unit's trash dumpster. I'm on the backside of the apartments and it is still dark out at that time, just before daybreak.

At that dumpster was a group of raccoons, that one was on its hind feet with its forefeet and head inside the dumpster from the side hole. At first I thought it was a bear cub. Not until it raised from its morning breakfast and looked at me, did I know it to be a raccoon.

No, not everything is Big in Texas. However, one must leave Texas to know that statement to be true.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:36 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
I think the Civil War was fought on the belief the Confederate States didn't have the right to secede from the Union.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness

Last edited by tigre79; 06-21-2010 at 11:47 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 11:17 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,937,599 times
I visited Alaska in 2002. I thought it was nice-looking and the people were friendly. I really liked the glaciers.

I just prefer Texas (the western part) because of its many sunny and clear days and for other reasons.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,800 times
I love Alaska. Our goal as Texans was never to pi** you off. Conversely, what have you done for the great state of Alaska?

You seem to be kind of hateful. That attitude is nothing I ever experienced in Alaska and I know you wouldn't experience it in Austin. I think your a transplant who is just outright hateful. If so, push you CAPLOC button so I know your an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska