Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:11 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever heard the saying, "The U.S. cannot survive without Texas but Texas can survive without the U.S."?

When you think about it.... it's probably somewhat true. Texas hold a lot of vital industries.. not just one or two. Meanwhile, Texas could sustain itself because of its diverese industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 12:39 PM

432 posts, read 760,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
First, white-tails range all the way to Arizona. Second, Texas was still part of Spain when Louisiana became a state. We won what is now central and eastern Texas in the Texas Revolution (and that was the entirety of Texas, as far as Mexico was concerned, until the Mexican-American War in 1846-48). I've never in my life heard anyone say that eastern Texas "isn't really Texas." Pretty funny stuff.
How about this one: "If Fort Worth is where the West begins, then Dallas is definitely where the East peters out."

I'm from west Texas. I think the east is sort of a lost zone - can't quite decide whether it's southern or western or coastal or Branch Davidian or what. When in Texas, I prefer to have my toes in the sand out in Fort Hancock or thereabouts, playing with scorpions and drinking all the water I can hold. That being said, though, I'd rather be humping the boonies in western AK than in western TX.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Is Alaska even relevant?

For some place so big to have a population so miniscule.

Houston has more people than Alaska

Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenman View Post
In TX I have an 8" dick.
Let us see

Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 PM

432 posts, read 760,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Let us see
Let us not.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
I'm from west Texas. I think the east is sort of a lost zone - can't quite decide whether it's southern or western or coastal or Branch Davidian or what.
Maybe if you'd have actually gotten to know the Piney Woods or Hill Country you'd think differently. Who knows? Seems like everyone down there knows exactly where they're at to me. I actually like having a diverse state and think that's one of the best things about Texas. It'd be pretty boring if it was all the same.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Is Alaska even relevant?

For some place so big to have a population so miniscule.

Houston has more people than Alaska
About six times the population, I think.

I'd forgotten all about the relative size of the state until I moved there and saw the t-shirts in the airport. It was kinda stunning. Just MHO, but Alaska's fascination with being larger than Texas is one-sided.

I lived in Anchorage and loved it, but have an auto-immune disorder that is exacerbated by freezing temps. I was too sick to enjoy it. The majority of people were wonderful. Sure, there were some born-and-bred Alaskans who loathed Texans, but I avoided them. These were typically the people who started conversations about the size of the state compared to Texas. Um ... so? I'm not about to get in a pissing match about state size, for crying out loud.

I made friends from many states when I was there, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, Florida. Most of my work colleagues were from Texas, though (Big Oil).

But population and personal considerations aside, Alaska and Texas have more things in common than they have things that set them apart. I agree with the poster who said that we should band together and pick on the littler states.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenman View Post
I was born in Tyler, Texas but lived much of my life in Louisiana and Mississippi. Spent some years in Austin but that place is now too crowded and I hate the traffic. I've also spent 4 years in Bangladesh and 1 year in Thailand. I'm back in Jacksonville, TX for a year or so and the wife and I would like to consider Alaska.

I do have a couple questions. In TX I have an 8" dick. Will I be 4" in the cold in Alaska? In Colorado Springs I had to stop on the side of the road to pee in a near whiteout. It was so cold I couldn't tell whether I'd stopped peeing or not. Unfortunately, when I repacked my package I hadn't quite stopped.

Also, every time we spend more than a few days in cold, dry areas such as Colorado or New Mexico our skin dries out as well as our mucous membranes and it's miserable. Is it different in Alaska?
Hello fellow tylerite. You missed your call 'en. You should be a stand up comedian. There is a part of you that's there already.

I'm living in Longview now. I have spent 10 years in Dallas. That was fun, not. You should see my car! I wanted to have a bumper sticker put on it that said, Dallas did this to my car....but then some one took the bumper off for me, so I never got the chance.

Spent 4 years in Colorado Springs and now that wasn't bad. I thought the cold would get to me, but it didn't. I guess it was the dry cold, way below temps and I didn't feel cold, unless I stayed outside long time.

When we first got there we stayed in a 4-plex just out side of Ft. Carson. It was early Oct that year and there was snow. I had to take out the trash and I was in shorts in the house and didn't want to re-dress for such a short task. So...out the door I went, down the sidewalk to the dumpster then back in again. I expected to feel very chilled, cold to heat, but no, I wasn't bothered by it one bit. So, I was like, cool.

The people are nice too as long as one does not flash an army ID. Do that and then we're back to the 8" this post started with. I never understood that as the military and the retirees brings much revenue to the area. A person would think they would be happy to see the money, but, guess not.

Good luck if you move to Alaska. I'm sure it's pretty in places as I have seen pictures people have taken that have been there. However, when I think of Alaska, I think of dry ice. And I shudder to think.

Brave people of Alaska. Very, very Brave.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:07 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Alaska is definitely one of the most, if not the most, beautiful states. Each state has its own beauty and uniqueness which I appreciate. But there is not state that has the variance of geography that Alaska has, nor the amount of wilderness and wild life. One thing I noticed, is I can easily travel 6 hours in a day in Alaska because we do not have interstates and the beauty makes the trip much more enjoyable. 6 hours on an interstate is much, much more difficult and exhausting IMO.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
About six times the population, I think.

I'd forgotten all about the relative size of the state until I moved there and saw the t-shirts in the airport. It was kinda stunning. Just MHO, but Alaska's fascination with being larger than Texas is one-sided.

I lived in Anchorage and loved it, but have an auto-immune disorder that is exacerbated by freezing temps. I was too sick to enjoy it. The majority of people were wonderful. Sure, there were some born-and-bred Alaskans who loathed Texans, but I avoided them. These were typically the people who started conversations about the size of the state compared to Texas. Um ... so? I'm not about to get in a pissing match about state size, for crying out loud.

I made friends from many states when I was there, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, Florida. Most of my work colleagues were from Texas, though (Big Oil).

But population and personal considerations aside, Alaska and Texas have more things in common than they have things that set them apart. I agree with the poster who said that we should band together and pick on the littler states.
one of my dormmates in SAn Antonio was from Fairbanks. he was really nice but also really odd.

Actually he was born in Galveston and moved with family to Alaska as an infant. I think he was a military brat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska