Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
I am guessing that ANY berries not commercially grown, while Alaskan wild berries are much superior to any others probably the long days, are nutritionally better than commercial ones. I know they taste better. Sort of like comparing a store tomato to a garden one, no comparison.
It isn't that simple, and not all Alaskan berries are superior in nutritional content to their Oregon and Washington grown commercial counterparts. Most of the time, the difference is marginal. There's one variety of blueberry, however, that's native to Alaska that's been found to have a significant nutritional punch compared to the same variety grown in cultivation in the -48.

On the other hand, SE Alaskan salmonberries aren't worth a damn nutritionally compared to Oregon commercial raspberry crops.

The thing with commercially grown tomatoes is that they're usually artificially ripened; berries never are. Commercial cane berry cultivation isn't all that different from what takes place when they grow in their natural state.

You're more than absolutely right, though, about how most fruits and vegetables lose quality when commercially produced.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-03-2012 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You make it sound like sitting in front of one's monitor 24/7 is a "bad thing."
That's probably because I just wrote a check to the IRS for my self-employment taxes. Somehow, it doesn't seem quite right that I've got to fork over about half my income so that able bodied urban liberals don't fall through the safety cracks or -- worse -- be compelled to get jobs in order to pay for their own cat litter rather than doing so on someone else's dime. God forbid anything such as work should tear them away from their monitors when the next guy in the chat room just might be their Prince Charming du jour.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-03-2012 at 11:53 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 PM

339 posts, read 588,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It isn't that simple, and not all Alaskan berries are superior in nutritional content to their Oregon and Washington grown commercial counterparts. Most of the time, the difference is marginal. There's one variety of blueberry, however, that's native to Alaska that's been found to have a significant nutritional punch compared to the same variety grown in cultivation in the -48.

On the other hand, SE Alaskan salmonberries aren't worth a damn nutritionally compared to Oregon commercial raspberry crops.

The thing with commercially grown tomatoes is that they're usually artificially ripened; berries never are. Commercial cane berry cultivation isn't all that different from what takes place when they grow in their natural state.

You're more than absolutely right, though, about how most fruits and vegetables lose quality when commercially produced.

I get an education every day! You are a weath of knowledge. Thanks for sharing.

As to taxes, it hurts doesn't it? I pay about half also and I am a tax consultant!! Just can't seem to find enough LEGITIMATE write-offs. Dang I can usually find enough so my clients get off fairly painless but not me. Of course they are retail and I am service, less to write-off. Then there's the couple I know who's daughter gets welfare for her two kids even though they all live with mom and dad and dad gets SSD for a "back injury" that left him, suppossedly, unable to drive. State comes out every now and then and threatens to cut her off but only did it once, she went to jail for 30 days for that time, and then ignores it for another year or two and the cycle repeats. Tell me why we are supporting adults who can work?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
I get an education every day! You are a weath of knowledge. Thanks for sharing.

As to taxes, it hurts doesn't it? I pay about half also and I am a tax consultant!! Just can't seem to find enough LEGITIMATE write-offs. Dang I can usually find enough so my clients get off fairly painless but not me. Of course they are retail and I am service, less to write-off. Then there's the couple I know who's daughter gets welfare for her two kids even though they all live with mom and dad and dad gets SSD for a "back injury" that left him, suppossedly, unable to drive. State comes out every now and then and threatens to cut her off but only did it once, she went to jail for 30 days for that time, and then ignores it for another year or two and the cycle repeats. Tell me why we are supporting adults who can work?
I can't give you any more rep just now, but yes, the taxes do hurt. Of course, social programs don't comprise the bulk of our federal income taxes -- infrastructure et al does that, but at least we actually get something in return. And then there's war, which takes a huge chunk. I'd rather pay for American citizens to have decent lives than for warmongering activities in other countries, but...yeah, there's something wrong with a system in which able bodied adults are laying up on the entitlement programs because they're too good to take available work while the rest of us work the equivalent of two jobs to support them.

Some cities have serious shortages of jobs of any kind, but Anchorage is not one of them. There is no excuse for being without work in Anchorage. I can think of a couple of deadbeats here who should do the rest of us a favor and deep six their computer activity until they have reliable employment, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 PM

Yeah, I've read most of that before. There's one blueberry variety specific to Alaska and northern Canada that's particularly high in nutrients; I always thought that making an elixir out of it would be a good business venture for someone (else) because the yuppie stores would eat it up.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:10 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, I've read most of that before. There's one blueberry variety specific to Alaska and northern Canada that's particularly high in nutrients; I always thought that making an elixir out of it would be a good business venture for someone (else) because the yuppie stores would eat it up.
That would be evidence that Alaskan blueberries are not brain food, would it not?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,145,934 times
Well Glitch, how's the wx in Wasilla? Anchorage is getting pounded now. Hope you have your flashlight ready!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Well Glitch, how's the wx in Wasilla? Anchorage is getting pounded now. Hope you have your flashlight ready!
No winds to speak of here. It is amazing what just 15 miles, as the crow flies, will do to the weather. Currently it is 48°F, with 8 mph winds from the east. It is overcast with a humidity of 71%.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
No winds to speak of here. It is amazing what just 15 miles, as the crow flies, will do to the weather. Currently it is 48°F, with 8 mph winds from the east. It is overcast with a humidity of 71%.
Was windy in Palmer last night. Lights flickered so we got out some candles but we didn't lose power. Anchorage schools are closed today...no power
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska