Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
oh, not very big. i'd just like to think that if you're the right size in the right place, they might just leave you alone. alaska definitely offers the best chances for that...

then there's another issue: if there's a SHTF situation and alaska attempted independence, do you think the mainland would try to keep it, or focus on problems closer to home? would their resources already be stretched so thin as to make it less feasible?
I don't know; what do you think?

I do think that in catastrophic times, the people of Alaska would be more likely to be looking out for themselves and their neighbors rather than trying to secede. And we rely so heavily on our communications networks and they weren't functioning properly we'd lack the organizational tools to be able to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't know; what do you think?

I do think that in catastrophic times, the people of Alaska would be more likely to be looking out for themselves and their neighbors rather than trying to secede. And we rely so heavily on our communications networks and they weren't functioning properly we'd lack the organizational tools to be able to do so.
And though some food could be grown, I doubt it would be enough, so hence the food and supply train from the -48 or elsewhere.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:19 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We definitely have all the raw materials, but none of the skills. We have 16 acres, a pond, woods and fields, so could grow crops, hunt deer and fish, and have plenty of firewood. We stink at manual labor, but I suppose survival is a huge motivator.
You would never get to see your crops come to fruit. They would be stolen by others either at night or gunpoint. The deer would be hunted to almost extintion overnight by others doing the same survival mode.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
......., so hence the food and supply train from the -48 or elsewhere.
no way in hell...we're too busy "saving" other 3rd world countries than to take any thought of helping our own.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
well, one thing I know....2 things will survive a major disaster...cochroaches and polititians....
wait a minute..that was just one....I'll come up with the second soon.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Currently, whether it was on my land in AK or at a rural spot here in Vermont or my relatives' hunting cabin in Northern Maine: yes.

But, the big unknown factor that could change everything for anyone is: people.

The biggest danger is people from cities flooding into the rural areas and stripping them of game and other resources, or getting violent. It's hard to predict in any scenario what will happen. If you look at hurricane Katrina, New Orleans was full of looting, etc., but in nearby areas everything was fine, people worked together to get through it. Up here in Vermont you'd never see rioting or looting, generally, during any disaster, yet, if people flood the state from MA or NYC, that may change. In Alaska, Fairbanks and Anchorage are the biggest problems. Juneau too I suppose but its residents will have a harder time invading another area given its lack of road connection to the outside. I do believe Southeast Alaska might be the best area of AK to be for such a bad situation. A pity land is so expensive there, and then rain is another issue.

For guns, I do have flintlocks. Blackpowder can be made. The sulfur is the hardest part unless you're near a source of it. It can be made without sulfur but is harder to ignite. In that case I'd have to improvise a matchlock for igniting the powder. Charcoal can be made, and saltpeter, while a long process, can be made. Lead bullets can be made. I've come across natural deposits of lead before in the mountains here, but I have a lot of lead already too.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:36 PM

228 posts, read 483,290 times
I always here the same arguments about people from the city fleeing to the country and ruining everything, especially areas on the east coast that are relatively close to NYC, Boston, etc. But people are forgetting a few things about the masses in the city:

1. Gas stations would be out of gas and diesel before most people even had time to react. That means that the people who already had, or somehow acquired a full tank of gas will have just that...a full tank to get them wherever they thought they should go. The average car gets somewhere around 400 miles per tank, many get less than that. People from areas such as upstate Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine would not have issues with masses from NYC because they would run out of gas long before they got there.

2. Another thing to take in consideration is your general location from a large city. Arctichomesteader expressed concern about being in maine, but how many people from NYC are going to think "Hmmm, lets try and go hundreds of miles north where it is an even colder and harsher environment." Most people from the large metro areas on the east coast will try and go south to the relatively mild areas of virginia, tenessee, etc. This goes for anywhere in the country. How many people from Anchorage are going to try and flee to the desolate interior of Alaska? Not many.

3. Let's say that I am dead wrong on number 1 and 2. People are able to obtain gas and are deciding to head towards your area even if it seems irrational. The roads would be absolutely and utterly clogged to the point where no one would be able to get anywhere. If anyone has an accident, runs out of gas, or their car breaks down, there isn't going to be emergency services on hand to take care of that situation. That means that the highway/interstate is essentially closed and impassable. The hardcore people might be able to make it to your area on foot, but the sad fact is that most urban and suburban dwellers would die of starvation, exhaustion, dehydration, exposure, etc. before getting far from their city. How many people in the US (One of the fattest and most unhealthy countries in the world) have ever even walked 10 miles straight in their lives, let alone 20 miles for days at a time on minimul food and water.

I live an hour and a half north of NYC, and while some people would make it up here (the few that chose to go north), most would not. The freeways would be a mess and a majority of people would perish on foot.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:37 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Currently, whether it was on my land in AK or at a rural spot here in Vermont or my relatives' hunting cabin in Northern Maine: yes.

But, the big unknown factor that could change everything for anyone is: people.

The biggest danger is people from cities flooding into the rural areas and stripping them of game and other resources, or getting violent. It's hard to predict in any scenario what will happen. If you look at hurricane Katrina, New Orleans was full of looting, etc., but in nearby areas everything was fine, people worked together to get through it. Up here in Vermont you'd never see rioting or looting, generally, during any disaster, yet, if people flood the state from MA or NYC, that may change. In Alaska, Fairbanks and Anchorage are the biggest problems. Juneau too I suppose but its residents will have a harder time invading another area given its lack of road connection to the outside. I do believe Southeast Alaska might be the best area of AK to be for such a bad situation. A pity land is so expensive there, and then rain is another issue.

For guns, I do have flintlocks. Blackpowder can be made. The sulfur is the hardest part unless you're near a source of it. It can be made without sulfur but is harder to ignite. In that case I'd have to improvise a matchlock for igniting the powder. Charcoal can be made, and saltpeter, while a long process, can be made. Lead bullets can be made. I've come across natural deposits of lead before in the mountains here, but I have a lot of lead already too.
one old sailboat hull would give you a lots and lots of lead!!!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:30 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
one old sailboat hull would give you a lots and lots of lead!!!
Or old wheel weights, though the state just banned them here but there's still plenty around...I'm not exactly sure how much lead I have but I have hundreds of pounds here. That'll make a lot of bullets or roundballs!

One thing many overlook today is they can save the lead they use, especially if talking a muzzleloader or any gun using cast lead bullets. Hunters used to always recover their lead projectiles to melt down again later whenever possible from what they shot, when re-supply was more difficult. It's something many overlook today, though granted, with jacketed bullets it's not as simple as pulling out the lead ball to recover the lead in the bullet...

Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
No, I could not live off of my land here in Anchorage and let me tell ya, there are days when that really bothers me. We own a cabin in Delta Junction and have access to many hundred farmable acres there as well. I would head north ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska