Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times

Advertisements

I figured the Alaska forum was the best place to ask this, since you are probably experts.

I want to get a pair of the black military surplus waterproof "Mickey Mouse" bunny boots, which I hear are super-warm. (Yes I know the white ones are warmer, but I'm not in Alaska and I don't think I'll be in cold weather below -20F any time soon).

My problem is I am a woman with small feet, size 6 in women's shoes.

The sites I found say women should go down at least 2 sizes when ordering, so that gets me to a 4 in men's. But them the same sites say they run large and buyers should probably go down one size.
They don't make a size 3. I worry that the people runing the online stores will just tell me whatever their smallest size is will fit me, and then I'll be stuck.

Any women with size-6 feet who found bunny boots to fit? Would the 4R fit me or would they be way too huge? Do they even make a 4N? I noticed some of the sizes come in a Wide and a Narrow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 02:03 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
I wore the white ones for years, and a pair of blacks for a couple. The sizes ran right on for me at 9 men's. But I couldn't wear heavy socks in them. I'm normally size 9 1/2 and with bigger socks they were a tad tight.
There is a outdoor clothing store in Soldotna called Sweeney's Clothing. They cater in outdoor gear. You could call them at 907-262-5916 and see what they say. I know they have them.

They have no website.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:43 AM

6 posts, read 25,269 times
Hi, nice post with nice solutions i like that..i hope that you feel comfort with that.If your feet height is not so much then you can feel comfort in that ?

Old 11-28-2010, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 10,604 times
I am a small Alaskan woman who spends hours outside playing even when it is -20 or even colder.

I wear a size 2 1/2 in girls shoes. I was able to find bunny boots in a size 3 at the army surplas store in fairbanks. They are a little big but the extra space helps to keep the heat in. I only wear 1 pair of socks with them but think I will maybe try to double them from now on after i kicked my boot off while kicking on the dog sled

Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
In case anyone else is asking my original question, I wear women's size 6, and I ended up buying the "Mickey Mouse" boots in a 4R. They fit fine, with one pair of socks.

Though I'm not used to my feet being so big, so I trip over things!

I bought mine online from Billings Army-Navy in Montana.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:35 PM

206 posts, read 513,948 times
I purchased 2 pair of White Bunnies (moved to Barrow) and i found them just too large for everyday use. I work in subzero conditions and needed a serious cold weather shoe. A neighbor of mine told me to look into Bogs. I got a pair of boots (-40) that i wear in heavy snow outside, and a nice -20 below pair of shoes that i wear at work. Let me say i wish i had found Bogs when i was doing construction, they are so comfortable i don't have any fatigue in my feet like i have had with so many other shoes.

Just a suggestion for an alternate to the Bunny Boots, while those shoes are great for certain specific purposes, they are kind of a pain for long term wear. (at least in my opinion)

Bogs are not cheap, but they are very well made and extremely comfortable.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:04 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradiin View Post
A neighbor of mine told me to look into Bogs. I got a pair of boots (-40) that i wear in heavy snow outside, and a nice -20 below pair of shoes that i wear at work. Let me say i wish i had found Bogs when i was doing construction, they are so comfortable i don't have any fatigue in my feet like i have had with so many other shoes.
Bogs are not cheap, but they are very well made and extremely comfortable.
If you don't mind where did you find these Bogs to buy?? online or store?? thanks
Edit: I found them online...Amazon and a few other places now next question...are they true to size?? run narrow...can you give any info on that....tough buying online without knowing this!

Old 11-29-2010, 03:19 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
If you don't mind where did you find these Bogs to buy?? online or store??
Cabela's, Zappos, REI have them.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:50 PM

206 posts, read 513,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
If you don't mind where did you find these Bogs to buy?? online or store?? thanks
Edit: I found them online...Amazon and a few other places now next question...are they true to size?? run narrow...can you give any info on that....tough buying online without knowing this!
Sorry for not having more details. I found they fit to size, i actually bought a size larger on my boots and wished i hadn't, so on my shoes i got the correct size and they fit perfectly.

As for buying them, i got my boots online from Amazon, but i looked at the bogs website for what i wanted exactly, then did an Amazon search for them. for the shoes i actually found the exact pair i wanted at the local AC grocery store, i needed something quick and they were only $15.00 more then Amazon so i just grabbed them.

Of course, i live in Barrow and the AC might carry a different selection then other stores.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times
thanks everyone...hubby has trouble keeping his feet warm! have tried many types of boots so....will try these next!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska