Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:06 PM

31 posts, read 55,754 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been reading through the forums here quite a bit and it has just made me more determined that this would be the right place for me.

A friend and I are wanting to move from Indiana to Alaska - perhaps somewhere near Anchorage?

We'd both like to leave as soon as the school year ends, which is at the end of the first week of May. We both would be finishing our first year of college and want to try to survive somewhere in Alaska.

Plan: work through our first summer nonstop. If the job isn't just a summer job, keep working, but hopefully have time to take a couple classes. I have pondered medical school but I'm just not ready to be in school that long, so I have been considering getting EMT certification and working my way up from that.

I'd really like to find an outdoorsy summer job, but I've been having trouble looking since I am in Indiana. I've followed a lot of the job links posted here, but rarely see anything for someone with no experience.

I have no fantasy that we would be living on anything but the bare minimum nor that the work would be glamorous. We'd have enough initial cash to stay a couple months to get started and also for an escape route. And we'd be able to split some living costs, which should help.

Any information would be beyond appreciated -- especially if anyone knows about what EMT certification could help me get in Alaska, or how to get involved in park jobs. My main interests are currently medicine, working toward environmental protection, or whatever could get me to Alaska with the highest chance of success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 06:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Go here and look for summer jobs in Alaska:

http://www.coolworks.com/alaska-jobs/

Mostly resort work; most of them offer room and board opportunities and an online application process. You'd most likely find something if you get started now; good luck. I'd advise you and your friend to apply for work as bussers at a few of the resorts--that is how you'll make the most money and I don't think that lack of experience matters much. It's not exactly what you're interested in but could be a start for you.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-25-2010 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 PM

Thank you for the link! Found over five that I plan to read more about and apply. I think they would be a good start, and a means of getting here, but are there any jobs that have more of a lead up to bigger and better? Like starting in the dirt and working your way up types of jobs?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 PM

310 posts, read 777,860 times
Kub,
You are saying all the right words. If you can keep your work ethic up and your spending down, you might have a good chance where ever you move. Just don't get too comfortable until you get through your first year, anywhere.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubwill View Post
Thank you for the link! Found over five that I plan to read more about and apply. I think they would be a good start, and a means of getting here, but are there any jobs that have more of a lead up to bigger and better? Like starting in the dirt and working your way up types of jobs?
Sometimes that can happen but I don't think it's as prevalent as it was at one time. And it seems like for that type of job...working for the Marine Highway or something--require Alaska residency. Staying in school is probably your best option and the EMT idea sounds like a good one.

Once you get up here though, it'll be easier for you to network locally.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 PM

Yeah, I'm talking to my advisor here in Indiana to see if she has any information on funding in the case that I were to transfer to a college in Alaska (looking at UA - Anchorage) and get certified for something quickly.

Also found information to contact EMS office in Anchorage to find out about training opportunities and hopefully more information about the job market.

Thank you again for the info! Keep it coming Disclaimer: I think I am in love with the forums. The stories on here are really addicting, which makes for little competition when I need to be reading cell biology...

Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubwill View Post
Yeah, I'm talking to my advisor here in Indiana to see if she has any information on funding in the case that I were to transfer to a college in Alaska (looking at UA - Anchorage) and get certified for something quickly.

Also found information to contact EMS office in Anchorage to find out about training opportunities and hopefully more information about the job market.

Thank you again for the info! Keep it coming Disclaimer: I think I am in love with the forums. The stories on here are really addicting, which makes for little competition when I need to be reading cell biology...
Damn it. A nineteen year old who's literate, intelligent, motivated....come up to Alaska and we most likely won't let you escape.

What happens so often in Alaska is that our best and brightest young people more often than not end up leaving and though many of them intend to return after college et al, most times life gets in the way of that.

Hell, I'm ready to offer you a job myself based on your posts (and that's unheard of for me), but I really think that you can do better than seafood processing, and we're nowhere near Anchorage. But what the hell. If nothing else comes up for you, give me a shout.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 PM

I appreciate the vote of confidence! Trust me, I'd definitely prefer to do better than seafood processing, but I don't think I'm too good for it, and if it gets me there that is great!

If you are serious about giving you a shout, I'd love to hear what the opportunity would entail. Feel free to message me or I could send you my email, whichever would be preferable.

Thank you again, the moving-to-Alaska-hope has grown considerably!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,814 times
I agree with Met. GL on getting up here and landing your dream job!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 PM

355 posts, read 818,668 times
Best of luck to you. I agree that ya sound like you have what it takes to make it, not just in AK, but anywhere. Sounds like ya already have a job too.....thats better than I can say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska