Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:32 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
Cool so you lived like a soviet 2ond worlder, im sure thats the better life that your family wanted for you and what we all take for granted. I must be taking my 5 figure debt for granted lol. I refused to live like that and have made it good but this nation defintily does not help facilitate higher learning and we are moving towards soviet style living thats why people are pissed.
She lived within her means, and didn't whine about "poor me", nor did she put her debt to blame on anything or anyone else, she paid it and did what she had to do that and get past it, like jump off the pedestal....no whining in her post about not affording to go out and not be able to afford to eat pizza or drink beer....or threads about trying to get free windows for her condo from the government that is so screwing you in your mind...but right she was an oldy moldy with ethics....try googling and not wikepedia...If you took the time to come out of yourself and read her story, she is still doing it the old-fashioned old way...on her own $$$ and not begging for anything in return....Welcome to the real world, and you will probably crash...actions speak louder than words...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Cool so you lived like a soviet 2ond worlder, im sure thats the better life that your family wanted for you and what we all take for granted. I must be taking my 5 figure debt for granted lol. I refused to live like that and have made it good but this nation defintily does not help facilitate higher learning and we are moving towards soviet style living thats why people are pissed.
No - people who busted their asses getting their education, working hard, earning their way, overcoming obstacles to achieve, buying their own STUFF (to you Ms Granny ) are pissed at whiners, lazy people who sit on their asses waiting for someone else to give them tangibles, hand them a job, provide them with free services and/or let them off the hook for inappropriate decisions that THEY willingly made.

They are pissed because they had to work hard for what they learned, what they earned and what they own. And because they earned all that sh*t through their own sweat, they are pissed when others (who are too lazy to do it for themselves) get a free ride.

They are pissed because young people so easily denigrate those of us who did it the hard way without whining. They are pissed because young people (in general) have almost zero adversity tolerance, zero patience for lack of immediately recognizable results, and zero understanding of what it is like to truly struggle. More appropriately, people like me are pissed at people like you, who want to blame people like me for your own screwups.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:59 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,995 times
Exactly, juneaubound. I paid for my three years of college myself, working full time as I attended. Many of my courses were taken in the evening, and I went to school during the summer, too. Rppearso has absolutely zero understanding of what it means to sacrifice, but apparently he's about to find out, as he's been complaining about the cost of cable, and the price of food and drinks at local watering holes. This would indicate that the financial noose he's set for himself is slowly tightening. Fortunately, for us, he can't just walk away from that debt in bankruptcy. He's going to have to pay the piper, or leave the country. If my memory serves, previous posts indicate he's already considering option number two. I guess sacrifice and hard work just aren't in certain people's vocabulary.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM

251 posts, read 680,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
Exactly, juneaubound. I paid for my three years of college myself, working full time as I attended. Many of my courses were taken in the evening, and I went to school during the summer, too. Rppearso has absolutely zero understanding of what it means to sacrifice, but apparently he's about to find out, as he's been complaining about the cost of cable, and the price of food and drinks at local watering holes. This would indicate that the financial noose he's set for himself is slowly tightening. Fortunately, for us, he can't just walk away from that debt in bankruptcy. He's going to have to pay the piper, or leave the country. If my memory serves, previous posts indicate he's already considering option number two. I guess sacrifice and hard work just aren't in certain people's vocabulary.
I actually plan on paying off my student loans this year the over seas decision is based on underemployment in this state. I have already put in the hard work and am still doing it I just like to complain, its almost therputic for me to complain/debate things like this, I still maintain top notch logic in my complaining and debating but yes I do like to complain, my complaining is independant and uncoupled with my actual actions. I get a little extreme sometimes but it is never the less entertaining. How boring would it be if we just sat here and said "yea I like bearstooth, good pizza" lol you need to stir up more controversy than that otherwise all the posts will be like a frontal lobodomy. Maybe instead of doing a PhD in my transitional retirement I should take over michael savages spot lol, I listened to that for years and probably would have had a heart attack if I kept listening, I dont know if I could keep up that intensity but it would be fun to try.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:15 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Quote:
I actually plan on paying off my student loans this year the over seas decision is based on underemployment in this state. I have already put in the hard work and am still doing it I just like to complain, its almost therputic for me to complain/debate things like this, I still maintain top notch logic in my complaining and debating but yes I do like to complain, my complaining is independant and uncoupled with my actual actions. I get a little extreme sometimes but it is never the less entertaining. How boring would it be if we just sat here and said "yea I like bearstooth, good pizza" lol you need to stir up more controversy than that otherwise all the posts will be like a frontal lobodomy. Maybe instead of doing a PhD in my transitional retirement I should take over michael savages spot lol, I listened to that for years and probably would have had a heart attack if I kept listening, I dont know if I could keep up that intensity but it would be fun to try.
Don't forget to pay your child support, don't be a bad dad. Breed them, feed them...

Old 02-08-2010, 05:38 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,876 times
Quote:
I actually plan on paying off my student loans this year the over seas decision is based on underemployment in this state.
Where are you working overseas?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Breed them, feed them...
LOL have not heard that one before!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:45 AM

713 posts, read 3,438,748 times
Looks like this thread is still going on :P, more of a debate than advise tho...

If I do decide to head into college I will major in Accounting and do not know if that is a good thing over here in Alaska. Some company's might even be hiring people with just a high school diploma for entry level jobs.

My brother in law got a job at a local small accounting firm that helps vets with just a HS education and no experience in the field. Pay for the job was $25/hour for payroll and transactions and such but because he had no experience it wen't down to $17/hour. They told him the reason they hired him over around 50 other applicants who had B.S. to M.S in accounting with years in the field was because they could pay him less. They just needed to train him on what type of transactions go where in the ledger and that was all. They saw no reason to hire a college grad that would cost more when they could hire a HS grad who could do the same amount of work for less.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:58 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Looks like this thread is still going on :P, more of a debate than advise tho...

If I do decide to head into college I will major in Accounting and do not know if that is a good thing over here in Alaska. Some company's might even be hiring people with just a high school diploma for entry level jobs.

My brother in law got a job at a local small accounting firm that helps vets with just a HS education and no experience in the field. Pay for the job was $25/hour for payroll and transactions and such but because he had no experience it wen't down to $17/hour. They told him the reason they hired him over around 50 other applicants who had B.S. to M.S in accounting with years in the field was because they could pay him less. They just needed to train him on what type of transactions go where in the ledger and that was all. They saw no reason to hire a college grad that would cost more when they could hire a HS grad who could do the same amount of work for less.
Yes, listen to everyone's advise but rrpearso's. He's mad at the world because he has to pay for his engineering degree, and he's higher and more knowledgeable than the rest of us, including you!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:58 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post

I think there are many accounting jobs for experienced professionals in Alaska, I see ads all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska