Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:50 PM

251 posts, read 679,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I think there are many accounting jobs for experienced professionals in Alaska, I see ads all the time.
Be careful though as the pay may be lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 01:05 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
Be careful though as the pay may be lacking.
not everyone EXPECTS 100K job! you are a broken record with you negative points on wages, job and the economy.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
not everyone EXPECTS 100K job! you are a broken record with you negative points on wages, job and the economy.
They obviously have not put in the hard work to build there resume then.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Looks like this thread is still going on :P, more of a debate than advise tho...

If I do decide to head into college I will major in Accounting and do not know if that is a good thing over here in Alaska. Some company's might even be hiring people with just a high school diploma for entry level jobs.

My brother in law got a job at a local small accounting firm that helps vets with just a HS education and no experience in the field. Pay for the job was $25/hour for payroll and transactions and such but because he had no experience it wen't down to $17/hour. They told him the reason they hired him over around 50 other applicants who had B.S. to M.S in accounting with years in the field was because they could pay him less. They just needed to train him on what type of transactions go where in the ledger and that was all. They saw no reason to hire a college grad that would cost more when they could hire a HS grad who could do the same amount of work for less.
With computerized accounting now, it is hard to make mistakes or at least ones that don't get caught, but once your BIL learns the basics and why you do what you do, and gains some experience, he will be in a more desirable market in the field. Experience says a lot in accounting. I would say $17 for entry level is pretty decent pay...

Old 02-09-2010, 02:32 PM

Thats pretty standard entry level but what you want to do is look and see if experienced hires are getting fatty offers, because you dont want to be 5 years in and be making a whole 22$ lol. Everyone knows entry level is low but the key is what are experienced hires going for, if they are getting shafted you might want to question going into that field before you have 5 years of sunk time. Carrer fields that have solid over seas potential (engineering, medical, etc) would be good to look at as the US economy is spiraling the drain.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Thats pretty standard entry level but what you want to do is look and see if experienced hires are getting fatty offers, because you dont want to be 5 years in and be making a whole 22$ lol. Everyone knows entry level is low but the key is what are experienced hires going for, if they are getting shafted you might want to question going into that field before you have 5 years of sunk time. Carrer fields that have solid over seas potential (engineering, medical, etc) would be good to look at as the US economy is spiraling the drain.
run away...run away....go to a foreign country why don't you instead of your incessant whining of how bad it is getting!! an what a Carrer???

Old 02-09-2010, 03:24 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
That is not standard entry level with no experience or formal education or training, just high school...$17/hr to get into an established field just out of high school is pretty darn good...When I got my first job out of high school in the dark ages, I was paid about $4/hr to do payroll for a large company...plus right now the BIL does not have education loans to pay back either....

Old 02-09-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
4$hr if your an illegal immigrant, minimum wage is 7 something. Also we are talking about accounting and getting a CPA which requries a degree so 17$ actually is pretty low and if he becomes an experienced CPA and cant pull down at least 60$/hr then its probably not worth all the time to get the degree and the years to get the experience. I dont know if you have heard of something called inflation, you might want to google it. it takes about 13-15/hr just to meet basic living expenses if you have NO debt, no mooses tooth pizza no nothing, 40$/hr gets a few extras a little nicer place but 60+ is what you need to make to really enjoy the finer things in life (air planes, snowmachines, etc), if you want to live your life on 17$/hr and become a nasty bitter person who had to slave for peanuts and badgers people online then go for it but thats not how I choose to live my life.
no one here except you is complaining or bitter about how much they make or how their life is except you!! you are being badger but no one is complaining except you!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Many corporations are having to hire contract accountants just to fill open jobs in Anchorage, in my experience, accounting is a very good field to be in right now in Alaska.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Many corporations are having to hire contract accountants just to fill open jobs in Anchorage, in my experience, accounting is a very good field to be in right now in Alaska.
Sweet, I think the bottom line is you need to do something you love doing because by the time you get your 4 year accounting degree and test for your CPA the market could be up down left right or sideways. Right now CPA's may be in demand but that could change literally overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska