Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:17 PM

355 posts, read 818,668 times

Advertisements

Read between the lines folks...the musicians was an attempt at sarcasm. I'm fully aware that different degrees hold different weight. My point obviously was taken wrong, so I'll try one more time for those who it skipped over.

Get into something that will always be needed. I also recommend doing something where you can be your own boss. Welders can usually quit a job and have one a day or two later. Electricians are always in demand for call out work as well as plumbers. Carpenters do have it a bit rougher than the above listed occupations. Engineers, true engineers, are not in that high demand as most of the jobs are taken. It's a very hard field to enter into.

Back to the welding field....I work with pipe welding only, and with all the welders I've spoken too they agree pipe is where the money is. Also underwater welding...but thats extremely hard to enter into as well.

For a young person seeking a chance to suceed in todays economy I feel a trade is the cheapest and best option. Sorry that some disagree. Thats coming from someone whose been to college, did all the things we were encouraged to do in high school by our counselors, parents, and school. The degree was a promise to a bright future....sadly that is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
A degree never hurts, but where your parents went wrong was in encouraging you to rack up student loan debt.

Oh tell me about it. But my family couldn't afford to send me to college and baseball only paid for my first two years. I didn't get a full ride offer my last two years so I used PELL grants to pay some, and had to get loans to live on, as well as finish paying my bill.

I'm far from the only one in this boat, and my boat is much smaller than most when it comes to student loan debt.

You can take me for an idiot on anything else I've said if you wish, but please take my warning on student loans seriously. Find any way possible to not use them. I seriously wonder how my friends with degree jobs paying 30k a year are going to pay off their 50k student loan debts while paying bills, etc.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
This is a VERY naive, and completely inaccurate statement. Carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and all tradesmen are out of work in record numbers.
Everyone is out of work in record numbers.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:26 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
Oh tell me about it. But my family couldn't afford to send me to college and baseball only paid for my first two years. I didn't get a full ride offer my last two years so I used PELL grants to pay some, and had to get loans to live on, as well as finish paying my bill.

I'm far from the only one in this boat, and my boat is much smaller than most when it comes to student loan debt.

You can take me for an idiot on anything else I've said if you wish, but please take my warning on student loans seriously. Find any way possible to not use them. I seriously wonder how my friends with degree jobs paying 30k a year are going to pay off their 50k student loan debts while paying bills, etc.
I hear that, wish I hadn't racked up student loan debt but I was a single parent going to college. My payments are almost as high as my rent.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:29 PM

Yup, I have a friend who was going to be a lawyer and changed his mind at the last moment and is now going to try to get a degree in accounting at OU. He has over 90k in student loans.

I whine over my debt which costs me 192$ a month, which is nothing compared to some, but the crappy thing is that it's close to 200$ outta my pocket each month. Also it's debt that I can't do anything about except payoff. Dead weight....

Old 02-05-2010, 08:39 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
Did you realize you don't want to be a teacher? Can you go back and get a different degree? I could go for another year and get a masters or go in a whole new direction but it's hard to do with a family. I have depleted my elgibility for student financial aid.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Did you realize you don't want to be a teacher? Can you go back and get a different degree? I could go for another year and get a masters or go in a whole new direction but it's hard to do with a family. I have depleted my elgibility for student financial aid.
Actually I love teaching.

I went to school to simply get my associates to become a state trooper in Oklahoma. The applcation requirements require 60 hours of college....so the plan was to go two years, get my degree and become a trooper.

Well I applied, and was rejected due to my age...two months to young at the start of the academy. So since i was still in school mode, I thought why not go ahead and keep going to school....a BA will help me in the long run plus I'll have a career to fall back on if need be. I finished up and now have my current job as a welding inspector...so taking a teachers salary is outta the question. My wife is student teaching and will graduate with her elem. ed degree in May...also loaded with a small student loan debt.

To make a long story short, Oklahoma's state budget is in the tank and so is my career as a state trooper there. I can't wait until they lift their hiring freeze
possibly" in 2012 or 13. That is why I have applied to AST and a few other departments.

What really stinks is I was accepted into the OHP academy during their last session on my second application. Then the econ tanked and the academy was canceled. Broke my heart.

As for more schooling....I'm done.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
Yup, I have a friend who was going to be a lawyer and changed his mind at the last moment and is now going to try to get a degree in accounting at OU. He has over 90k in student loans.

I whine over my debt which costs me 192$ a month, which is nothing compared to some, but the crappy thing is that it's close to 200$ outta my pocket each month. Also it's debt that I can't do anything about except payoff. Dead weight....
Hey...I'm sorry about that, but you took out the loans in the first place. You signed something at one point which amounted to a promissory note. It's not the lender's fault that you didn't choose a more lucrative educational path.

As far as your friend who changed his mind about being an attorney....what's the point? He changed his mind...how is that anyone's fault but his own?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Hey...I'm sorry about that, but you took out the loans in the first place. You signed something at one point which amounted to a promissory note. It's not the lender's fault that you didn't choose a more lucrative educational path.

As far as your friend who changed his mind about being an attorney....what's the point? He changed his mind...how is that anyone's fault but his own?

Point being Met that it sucks to be promised prosperity growing up only to be loaded with debt upon graduation. I don't feel like arguing so I will leave it at that. I did what I had to get the degree I thought I needed at the time. And guess what, I pay that loan every month on time. I just wish I had something to show for it....does that make sense? Yes I do have a piece of paper, but it's worthless really lol.

To add to your point...I have two friends who both just graduated as pharmacists last May...neither have found a job yet. I think a pharmacist is pretty lucrative no? They each owe over 100k for their degree.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
I would think you could get a job teaching Kyle. Teachers are needed just about everywhere I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska