Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:10 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times

Advertisements

Become a banker!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 04:10 PM

251 posts, read 680,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
When I was at university in the 1970s, the big issue surrounding federally-insured student loans was in the non-repayment by a small portion of borrowers after they had secured work post-graduation. Occasionally on television, they would show sheriff's officers in some location jacking up a car behind a tow truck to haul away and sell at auction in forced repayment.

These days, you don't hear about students NOT repaying their loans, but rather the predatory lending practices of banks. Someone earlier said that everything is a wash. Loans were lower back then, but so were salaries. But the increase in wages has not kept up with the increase in average loan amounts. The university that my son attends has raised tuition 10% a year for the past five years. Have wages gone up that much?

Overwhelming Student Loan Debt Compared to Predatory Lending | Financial Aid Finder
This is true, I had a co worker that did the present worth calculations and we are making significantly less money as far as starting salery then engineers did years ago and our debt load is higher. This board is full of vipers who want to hold young peoples feet to the fire and they are just as evil as the lending institutions. Basicly the banks can get away with it becuase the gov allows it and they only alternative for a young person is to go back and live at home or live a poor quality of life because they do not have access to the funds for higher learning, this situation we are in is completely unsustainable, many more buisnesses will fail becuase no one (except old people who got there education back in teh day for pennies on the dollar and made way more out of school than we do now can take a heavy handed approach to young people) will be able to afford anything except basic living. You have one of 2 choices agree to the terms or live at home with mom and dad or work a slave job for peanuts, this is not the united states that it used to be and every year this goes on over seas looks better and better at least over seas engineers are seen as having high value not the sub 6 figure pitance they pay here.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
This is true, I had a co worker that did the present worth calculations and we are making significantly less money as far as starting salery then engineers did years ago and our debt load is higher. This board is full of vipers who want to hold young peoples feet to the fire and they are just as evil as the lending institutions. Basicly the banks can get away with it becuase the gov allows it and they only alternative for a young person is to go back and live at home or live a poor quality of life because they do not have access to the funds for higher learning, this situation we are in is completely unsustainable, many more buisnesses will fail becuase no one (except old people who got there education back in teh day for pennies on the dollar and made way more out of school than we do now can take a heavy handed approach to young people) will be able to afford anything except basic living. You have one of 2 choices agree to the terms or live at home with mom and dad or work a slave job for peanuts, this is not the united states that it used to be and every year this goes on over seas looks better and better at least over seas engineers are seen as having high value not the sub 6 figure pitance they pay here.
Well, at least my pennies on the dollar education actually was an education. Back in the stone age, a person had to be literate in order to graduate from high school, let alone college.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:27 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,270,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, at least my pennies on the dollar education actually was an education. Back in the stone age, a person had to be literate in order to graduate from high school, let alone college.
Nowadays you can get by by writing crib notes on your hand.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:30 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
This is true, I had a co worker that did the present worth calculations and we are making significantly less money as far as starting salery then engineers did years ago and our debt load is higher. This board is full of vipers who want to hold young peoples feet to the fire and they are just as evil as the lending institutions. Basicly the banks can get away with it becuase the gov allows it and they only alternative for a young person is to go back and live at home or live a poor quality of life because they do not have access to the funds for higher learning,
I chose the latter. I lived for years on ramen noodle soup (5 for a dollar, and on a good week 10 for a dollar), ham ($2 a pound), canned lemonade (3 for a dollar) and white bread (3 loaves for a dollar). That crap fed me for a week. Week in and week out. The only time I ate anything else was the odd time I dated some guy who wanted to buy me dinner (which wasn't often - girls with noses continually in books don't attract many dates). I slept on a bunch of couches at one point.

Had a friend who ran out of money part way through the year - he actually turned an interesting shade of yellow from eating so many mustard sandwiches. My son's college experience by comparison, was NOTHING like mine or my mustard-eating friend.

The whining of the young is partly my generations fault. We wanted better for you. We gave you better. And then we get pissed off because you take it all for granted.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:39 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Yup

Old 02-07-2010, 07:55 PM

46 posts, read 79,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I chose the latter. I lived for years on ramen noodle soup (5 for a dollar, and on a good week 10 for a dollar), ham ($2 a pound), canned lemonade (3 for a dollar) and white bread (3 loaves for a dollar). That crap fed me for a week. Week in and week out. The only time I ate anything else was the odd time I dated some guy who wanted to buy me dinner (which wasn't often - girls with noses continually in books don't attract many dates). I slept on a bunch of couches at one point.

Had a friend who ran out of money part way through the year - he actually turned an interesting shade of yellow from eating so many mustard sandwiches. My son's college experience by comparison, was NOTHING like mine or my mustard-eating friend.

The whining of the young is partly my generations fault. We wanted better for you. We gave you better. And then we get pissed off because you take it all for granted.
I agree. I guess I am one of the "old people" ...if you consider 50 old ( I sure don't!!). I have put my self through school several times in the last 30 years. ( I love learning) I have recently finished a degree and am debt free. I worked full time and went to school part time and gave up "the fun stuff". I saved, scrimped and went without and paid for my tuition as I went along. I took a cut in pay to start my new position since I am once again a neophyte. I am loving every moment!! This is what I chose for my life! I am grateful for having the opportunity to go to school in a wonderful country. If you want something bad enough you can make it happen. I agree with Met, any education is worth the effort and will come in handy no matter what you end up doing.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:48 PM

128 posts, read 295,265 times
Default Hope it's ok too throw my 2cents in

When I graduated high school in 86, i was told by my family to get a degree. I wanted to work in the local wood factory like the rest of the town...........and I did, whoa, that only lasted 3 years. Then I moved to the north and guided hunters, fishermen, and picture people and it was a blast..............then just this past June I became a dispatcher..............free learnin!!!!!!!!!! It's been hard a few times but, if you want it you have to go get it,and now i can do a lot of different things and I am living where I want to, "In this wonderful white world". just my 2 cents

Old 02-07-2010, 09:04 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehop View Post
When I graduated high school in 86, i was told by my family to get a degree. I wanted to work in the local wood factory like the rest of the town...........and I did, whoa, that only lasted 3 years. Then I moved to the north and guided hunters, fishermen, and picture people and it was a blast..............then just this past June I became a dispatcher..............free learnin!!!!!!!!!! It's been hard a few times but, if you want it you have to go get it,and now i can do a lot of different things and I am living where I want to, "In this wonderful white world". just my 2 cents
Good story and good attitude. Well done.

As an aside I saw in the Juneau Empire tonight that a place in Ketchikan has openings for both a maintenance shop foreman and a journeyman mechanic. I couldn't link to just that one post, but here's the Empire front page (click on the top jobs link over on the right of the page):
Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper

Old 02-07-2010, 10:18 PM

251 posts, read 680,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

Cool so you lived like a soviet 2ond worlder, im sure thats the better life that your family wanted for you and what we all take for granted. I must be taking my 5 figure debt for granted lol. I refused to live like that and have made it good but this nation defintily does not help facilitate higher learning and we are moving towards soviet style living thats why people are pissed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska