Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 05:48 PM

187 posts, read 346,267 times

Advertisements

My husband is visiting Juneau this week. He is staying downtown and at this point, doesn't have a rental car. What are some awesome things he should go and look at while he's there?

I'm thinking of getting him a rental car for 1-2 days so he can drive around and see the rest of the town (and go to Costco, hahaha!). If there's anything that's a can't-miss, please mention it!

We've been to Juneau many times but only as a stopover to points further southeast, and usually at night in the dark!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 PM

6,243 posts, read 5,032,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeboo View Post
My husband is visiting Juneau this week. He is staying downtown and at this point, doesn't have a rental car. What are some awesome things he should go and look at while he's there?

I'm thinking of getting him a rental car for 1-2 days so he can drive around and see the rest of the town (and go to Costco, hahaha!). If there's anything that's a can't-miss, please mention it!

We've been to Juneau many times but only as a stopover to points further southeast, and usually at night in the dark!
Creeboo, I've only been in Juneau for 6 weeks so haven't seen a whole lot myself yet. But if your husband will be renting a car I would definately tell him to go out to see Mendenhall Glacier. If he skis, he can go up to Eaglecrest (the snow is not great right now, but still doable if he likes to ski).

There's trails close by if he likes to hike (some within walking distance of downtown like Mt Roberts - he can walk as far as where the tramway goes this time of year). And the boardwalk downtown is a great place to see Douglas Island, take pictures of downtown and the mountains around the area. There are two museaums downtown. And if he wants to work out in a fitness club he can either go to the Alaska Club ($15.25 for a one day visit or sit through the sales pitch and get a free pass - guess which one I did? ). Or he can work out at Zach Gordon Youth Center (only one rowing machine, one elliptical, one treadmill, some weight equipment) but it's very quiet and it only costs $5.25 for a visit. Governors Mansion is downtown, as is the state capital.

There's a good link here: Juneau, Alaska -- Travel Information -- Official Travel Resource for Alaska's Capital City that gives better info than I can give, on events going on in Juneau each month, restaurants, sites, tourist sites etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska