Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with a large multinational corporation knowing my movements on the planet?
Doesn't bother me much. I travel a lot, fly a lot, and of course there are going to be several different multinational corps knowing my movements. What does bother me though is call-center peons trying to play god with my money. I do understand why they put an initial hold on things due to "unusual" activity; I certainly don't want some idjit playing fast and loose with a stolen card. But when a simple phone call can't fix it, well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:42 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
maybe it;s me. Ive gone remote and liked the feeling of disconnection from the grid so to speak. motor vehicles is typically the one that requires a physical address. no cell no credit no loans....goin indian in the navajo that was refreshing

Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,778,242 times
You would think that with such high unemployment cc companies (or in fact any business with cust service) would have best staff they could get. It is bad everywhere. I had a cashier at Home Depot mumble loudly "*******" at me just because I asked her to handle some stuff carefully. I did confront her, but just briefly as I could see she had a bad menopause day. She does recognize me every time and I think she owes me her job.
Today I saw another one flip out at a customer in a different store. Upset at nothing throwing the merchandise back in the cart and going away pissed off. And the guy was nice and just asking nothing special. I could understand this if jobs were plentiful but right now?
Going back to credit cards, they have you in catch 22. You use the card-they lower your limit and *********r score that way. You don't use your card they charge you special fees. I really hope that when these practices became well publicized laws will be passed curbing this rip off practice.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:40 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
You don't use your card they charge you special fees. I really hope that when these practices became well publicized laws will be passed curbing this rip off practice.
Here's the problem. No one is forcing you or anyone else to use these credit cards. This is a choice we freely make everytime we swipe it. Having a credit card is not a constitutionally protected right.

Not much different then going into a resturant that has a sign posted that says "No shirt, no shoes, no service". If you wanna eat you gotta abide by the rules.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
My card was just bumped up another 2 grand last month. I guess they like me. It started out as one of those 300 dollar jobs with no money up front about 5 years ago. But I use it little as possible...and pay the balance every month.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,778,242 times
My understanding is that is also not welcome these days. No balance, no intrest so extra fees

Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Here's the problem. No one is forcing you or anyone else to use these credit cards. This is a choice we freely make everytime we swipe it. Having a credit card is not a constitutionally protected right.

Not much different then going into a resturant that has a sign posted that says "No shirt, no shoes, no service". If you wanna eat you gotta abide by the rules.
Loan sharking is also not a constitutionally protected practice.

It's a bit tough these days to do much of anything without a card or two of some kind. You can't buy an airline ticket or even a glass of wine on Alaska Airlines without plastic of some sort.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:28 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times
we were lucky enough to have a young store clerk relate his story of not notifying his credit card company of his trip to Italy...he found himself in the middle of the night unable to check into the hotel he had reservations at, spent 1 wk trying to straighten it out long distance. I phone our credit card company even for going several states from home....I call several times to double check it is on record when we are leaving the US into other countries. for those who have great credit the Simmons card is 9.25% with rewards points....7.25% student rate
Credit Cards

Old 04-03-2010, 09:29 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Seems like everytime I call to tell them I'm traveling to Sweden...I'm talking to some guy in India...and they always say, in an Indian voice, ok...so you are going to travel to Switzerland on such and such date...and you would like to use your card anywhere...and I have to tell them Sweden about 4 times. Apparently they don't know that Sweden and Switzerland are 2 different countries.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:55 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Seems like everytime I call to tell them I'm traveling to Sweden...I'm talking to some guy in India...and they always say, in an Indian voice, ok...so you are going to travel to Switzerland on such and such date...and you would like to use your card anywhere...and I have to tell them Sweden about 4 times. Apparently they don't know that Sweden and Switzerland are 2 different countries.
LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska