Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Yes, but it could be a debit card instead of a credit card. That way you are using your own money and the bank has a bit less control.
Sometimes. I use debit for most things, but in some circumstances it can cause problems:

Swipe that debit card carefully: Hotel holds can tie up your money - USATODAY.com

http://banktime.com/auto/the-top-ten...-secrets/1244/

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-23-2010 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:34 AM

100 posts, read 223,949 times
Default This is an interesting thread--have had some experience

about 6-7 years ago was working in the Gulf of Mexico-flew home through Atlanta, New Orleans and Seattle-- Grabbed a snack first thing in the morning. Swiped the card to rent a little wagon for my heavy bag than had a meal in Seattle. Got home to Ketchikan and the next day bought a new laptop--well was on the phone for quite some time trying to explain my travels and convincing the person that the only highway into K-town is the Marine Highway.
Have traveled in Asia and Europe and forgot to report, never had a problem.
Five years ago was on Guam getting a ship ready for a job. It was totally striped, had to purchase linens and everything for the galley. When I am buying for a job I use my card--love those miles.
Anyway, went shopping every day often spending four figures in the morning and afternoon. Kept think at some point there would be a flag, never happened?
The Captain and Chief were doing the same for their departments.
Side note here, later that year I was on a job in and out of Iceland, realized that there really is "island mentality". Guam, to my little island, to Iceland
Nan

Old 05-24-2010, 03:44 PM

15 posts, read 32,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Bad analogy. Quite a few people do pay off their cards. And try traveling without one sometime...we can't even fly off this island without paying with a card.
Not really, I work for a Credit Company and people complain all the time... But if you think about it, you should just use your own money. Like a debit card, prepaid Visa Card or something else. If not, you should be willing to let the company lending YOU money know that you might be out of the state or country.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota_Love View Post
Not really, I work for a Credit Company and people complain all the time... But if you think about it, you should just use your own money. Like a debit card, prepaid Visa Card or something else. If not, you should be willing to let the company lending YOU money know that you might be out of the state or country.
My point, one more time, was that some companies treat debit cards differently from credit cards and that can cause quite a hassle for travelers. Hotels don't seem to like taking cash and one of the links I posted describes the problems that can occur when people use a debit card with them.

Of course travelers should let their card companies know when they are going to be off their normal beaten track; that's only common sense. We see it happen quite often here in Alaska where people get cut off.

Personally, I'd be happy if everyone "used their own money"; it would put a lot of people like yourself out of work though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-24-2010 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska