Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,367,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Alaska also has 16 federal military bases and numerous National Parks, Monuments, Preserves, and Refuges. The State of Alaska does not see the vast majority of the federal funding that you erroneously attribute to the State. Your ignorance about where that federal money goes is typical among lower-48ers. We have a surplus when revenues to the State exceed what was budgeted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
"KICKS" Boompa

Old 07-29-2009, 03:14 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Alaska gets more Federal Dollars than it gives(collecting $1.94 for every dollar paid), making it a Welfare State. So how can they say they have a "Surplus"?
With all the military, coast guard, national weather service up here, you get your money's worth.

One of the most annoying things about the election was the "google experts" on Alaska who posted the same erroneous talking points over and over; this was one of them. That and the helicopter hunting.

Boompa, have you even tried to learn anything about the state or are you just trolling here? You've made some comments in the political forum which would indicate that you're just extending your dislike of the ex governor to the entire state. If that's the case, I suggest you take your comments elsewhere.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:31 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,356,643 times
Well said Met!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,591,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
With all the military, coast guard, national weather service up here, you get your money's worth.

One of the most annoying things about the election was the "google experts" on Alaska who posted the same erroneous talking points over and over; this was one of them. That and the helicopter hunting.

Boompa, have you even tried to learn anything about the state or are you just trolling here? You've made some comments in the political forum which would indicate that you're just extending your dislike of the ex governor to the entire state. If that's the case, I suggest you take your comments elsewhere.
You mean you would rasther we take our Military and other American Forces home? I can't help it if you are embarrassed about your Ex Governor, I didn't mention her, you did. Alaska gets almost $2 back for every dollar it puts in and then gives it away. Palin didn't start that system but I find the feeling of entitlement offensive. I'll leave you to your secession talk, goodbye.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,591,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Well said Met!
and You're from?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,745,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You mean you would rasther we take our Military and other American Forces home? I can't help it if you are embarrassed about your Ex Governor, I didn't mention her, you did. Alaska gets almost $2 back for every dollar it puts in and then gives it away. Palin didn't start that system but I find the feeling of entitlement offensive. I'll leave you to your secession talk, goodbye.
I may be wrong, but I don't believe the PFD has anything to do with federal money. The federal money is alloted for the upkeep of national parks, military, or whatever federal lands. The PFD is profits left over from oil company fees, taxes paid to the state which are used to fund state programs and if an excess, then allotted out to AK residents...nothing to do with federal dollars whatsoever. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me...

Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
Oh come on now, The Simpson's movie was telling the truth, we do get paid to live here!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Oh come on now, The Simpson's movie was telling the truth, we do get paid to live here!
That certainly seems the mentality of most lower-48ers. With the average lower-48er no smarter than Homer, I am certainly glad I live in Alaska. Then again, with all the yellow journalists pervading the media, I can understand their confusion between "hard news" and the Simpsons. It is easy to get the two confused.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
I better go mush my huskies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska