Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 PM

8 posts, read 10,829 times

Advertisements

According to Tim Whitman, director of the airport, Winder-Barrow Airport (WDR) began mid-1940 as a public works project. The "explosive growth" that the airport has begun in the late 80's, he said.

Currently, the airport is in the midst of revising its master plan. "We evaluate everything from facilities to the business practices of the forecast and look at the big picture," said Whitman.

Barrow County Airport Authority Board of Directors consists of seven members, one representing all provincial districts and one-to-large Member States. The authority to appoint members of the county superintendent of each district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 02:34 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsmith0 View Post
According to Tim Whitman, director of the airport, Winder-Barrow Airport (WDR) began mid-1940 as a public works project. The "explosive growth" that the airport has begun in the late 80's, he said.

Currently, the airport is in the midst of revising its master plan. "We evaluate everything from facilities to the business practices of the forecast and look at the big picture," said Whitman.

Barrow County Airport Authority Board of Directors consists of seven members, one representing all provincial districts and one-to-large Member States. The authority to appoint members of the county superintendent of each district.
The airport that is being discussed is Barrow, an Airport on the Northern most tip of Alaska above the Arctic Circle... I think you have mistaken it for someplace else.

There is no Counties in Alaska, they are call Boroughs.

The Barrow you are refering to is in Georgia, I think that the giveaway is that there was a lot of ice and snow in the photos... unlike the ones that you would see in Georgia.

But thanks for the info anyway.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:21 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsmith0 View Post

Barrow is in the North Slope Borough and the airport code is BRW. Its full name is the Wiley Post - Will Rogers Memorial Airport. Wrong Barrow!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 6,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
It was owned by the "Ball" brothers (or one like it) if I recall corectly, and used for years to haul fish. It is now being restored at the aviation museum at lake hood. It is worth the trip there to see it!
I'm uncertain what happened to NC711Y. For many years the only surviving Pilgrim has been NC709Y, originally an American Airways passenger "liner", brought to Alaska around 1936 with Alaska Express Airways, sold to Star Air Service by 1938 & kept by them through the next 2 company name changes, long enough to be photographed alongside the Boeing 707 prototype, still in Alaska Airlines livery. NC709Y then flew with Ball Brothers, hauling fish into the 1970's before retirement. I've heard a rumor that, while the frame was being overhauled in Montana for the museum, a new assembly *** was reverse-engineered off it to manufacture a couple replicas. Current status of that project unknown to me...

Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars_opland View Post
I'm uncertain what happened to NC711Y. For many years the only surviving Pilgrim has been NC709Y, originally an American Airways passenger "liner", brought to Alaska around 1936 with Alaska Express Airways, sold to Star Air Service by 1938 & kept by them through the next 2 company name changes, long enough to be photographed alongside the Boeing 707 prototype, still in Alaska Airlines livery. NC709Y then flew with Ball Brothers, hauling fish into the 1970's before retirement. I've heard a rumor that, while the frame was being overhauled in Montana for the museum, a new assembly *** was reverse-engineered off it to manufacture a couple replicas. Current status of that project unknown to me...

The last time I saw the Ball Brothers plane was in the 1980's and at that time it was support to be that last one flying.

Glad they may be making copies of it, was a true workhorse! Would be ashame to lose it to history!

But the one at the Lake Hood Museum is really neat to see as well!

Hey Lars, I got a few old Air Force sextants that were for in flight Navitation in the fifties/sixties if you want one, since you were a Quartermaster they are a tad different but still used for shooting stars! Let me know and I will drop one off on my way through.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Star, check out some of Lars' work.

Aviation History by Lars Opland

Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Lars Opland Collection

Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Thanks, those are nice! Seen them before, Lars has done a great job with his cataloging aircraft in Alaska.

First met him when we were stationed on the USCG Cutter Sorrel stationed out of Cordova, Alaska almost 40 years ago. We were two of three that were from Alaska on the ship.

Funny how we both got into Alaskan aviation and it's history.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 6,065 times
Hi Starlite9,

Just a note to say the airframe used in Montana as basis for new construction of Pilgrims (if & when...) was NC709Y, which you're probably already aware has been flying again this summer. How's things out there in "Into the Wild" land?

...& yes, I wouldn't mind a free sextant if you still have them...

Cheers, -Me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska