Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 06:56 AM

189 posts, read 327,721 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Akiak in August and so in thinking of Father's day this year for my husband I decided I would like to get him some tackle and gear for fishing the Kuskokwim River, I've been told there is Silver and King Salmon in the river, and believe the Silver salmon run will be happening in August or September. I would like to know what other fish can we expect to catch in the river, as well as what kind of rod and reel to buy him, and what other gear he would need for fishing, he loves fishing but all we have ever fished for is bass, catfish, blue gill, and crappie. Mostly lure or bobber/bait fishing. I would consider him a novice as well as myself, even though we both grew up with reels in hand, it was very basic fishing taught to us by our parents. So I come here hoping local experts can steer me in the right direction to make his father's day special, as he is pretty special to me and all 7 of our children!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:11 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
The King run will be done by the time you get here. The silvers will be running strong by then. I use a medium action rod with 12# test with a spinning reel and a 9' 9wt flyrod for fishing for silvers. We don't use bobbers here, the number one universal catch them all lure is the Pixie, this catches pretty much everything. Another great spoon would be the Crocodile and a spinner would be a Vibrax or a Mepps Agila. As for fly fishing, I use either a pink or orange streamer. You have to head downriver a little ways to catch salmon.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:21 AM

Thanks Warpt What else is fished for in the river? I know I saw whitefish hanging to dry in one pic...anything else to look forward to or fear (we have gar in MO nasty fish with teeth imo..although some love to fish for them..my dad was one of the crazies that did LOL)

Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
A lot of people fish off the river bank for whitefish in front of the village. A lot of people from Akiak go down to the Kisaralik or Little Kasigluk River for Salmon, Dolly's, Rainbow's, and Grayling. You and your family are going to love the area.

This is at the mouth of the Little Kasigluk, Silver fishing!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:15 PM

I love all your pics Warpt! We are so excited, Owen is leaving June 15th and will arrive in Akiak on June 17th I think (they aren't entirely sure of his itinerary yet) he will be staying 4 days in one of the other little villages for a class, and then the rest of the time in Akiak. He was told he needed 3 things for the 2 weeks, Food, Sleeping Bag, and mud boots LOL! We are really excited about the fishing and well honestly all of it LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska