Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 AM

45 posts, read 142,307 times

Advertisements

I've been in Alaska from California since fall. I loved fall, everything was so crisp and beautiful ...my camera got quite a workout. The anticipation of my very first winter was exciting. People told me about Cabin fever and SAD so I took vitiman D and got a SAD light to be on the safe side.

Winter came late, but I welcomed it with open arms. I throughly enjoyed every second of skiing, skating, playing in the snow, and simply sitting at the window watching it fall.

Practically the second it began to melt, I felt myself becoming sad and disappointed. Spring was just dreadful. Everything was so ugly and depressing. Everyone told me to hang on for summer and that was the best time of year.
Well I've hung and and I can't stand it, it's driving me nuts. The bald mountains, the weeds in the ground, the freezing(but not frozen) lakes, and all this daylight. All I do is sit around and wait for winter to return. I've gotten blackout curtains, but still can't seem to sleep.

It seems I have "cabin fever" or SAD, but yet everything I read says that happens only in winter when there is less daylight. Less daylight didn't bother me in the least, lots of daylight seems to...

Can anyone relate? What is going on? Any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:20 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linz98144 View Post
It seems I have "cabin fever" or SAD, but yet everything I read says that happens only in winter when there is less daylight. Less daylight didn't bother me in the least, lots of daylight seems to...

Can anyone relate? What is going on? Any advice.
I've never bothered to read up on SAD, so I have no idea what you might have read. But the fact is that in Northern areas such as Alaska we have a lot of psychological problems in the spring, not during the dark hours of winter. "Cabin Fever" is also called "Spring Fever". The actual problem is adapting to increasing intervals of daylight.

The trick to preventing it is to avoid adapting well to longer periods without daylight. Hence if you use a lot of lights in the winter months, and put blackout curtains on your windows the effect is to reduce the change that happens when the days get longer.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
Maybe the daylight is messing with your internal clock, many people report "feverish" activity" in our light months. All I can suggest is maybe looking into melatonin, it helps with that. Also, maybe what with all the cozy darkness, you maybe haven't found activities you might like in the warmer months, perhaps develop some new interests and find a way to utilize all this daylight. Melatonin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-24-2010, 09:55 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
gosh. where are you living. it's been really pretty this spring. is there anything else going on ?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 AM

72,977 posts, read 62,563,721 times
I would just go further north, perhaps to Barrow.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:09 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,023 times
I think what you're complaining of would bother me more than the short winter days, too. Insomnia is a killer.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I think what you're complaining of would bother me more than the short winter days, too. Insomnia is a killer.
Short winter days can be interesting. For some reason, I find alot of excitement in thinking about the sun setting in the middle of the afternoon or earlier.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,120,522 times
Fishing season has arrived, take advantage... go out and get busy. Enjoy being able to fish all night long and be able to see what you are doing. Sounds like you were really active during the winter months and you have been idle doing nothing. Well, spring is over, summer is here so now there are things to do once again. The running/biking trails are in great condition now. Hiking is a go. Fishing season is about to start and comping season has arrived as well. I am not one to swim in Alaska Lakes.... too cold for me, plus definitely too early to try. I am not sure why people have such a hard time sleeping when the sun is still up. Haven't these people ever taken a nap during the day or fallen asleep with lights on?

I agree with an earlier poster. If you were trying to sit in the dark as much as possible during the winter... then yeah..... that probably compounded the issue. Also, get away from only using incadescent light bulbs in your house during the winter. The yellow light they make is very unnatural and nowhere near the same light spectrum of the sun.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:12 PM

45 posts, read 142,307 times
Let me clarify, I spent most of winter outdoors even in the dark. I found tons of stuff to do then and loved every second of it.
Maybe I do need more activity now that the snow is gone? I just can't seem to find anything to do that interests me. I feel so blah, so down in the dumps.
In doing further online searches it appears I my have something called "summertime blues" which is a form of SAD. I'm going to contact an MD to see what she may have to say.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linz98144 View Post
Let me clarify, I spent most of winter outdoors even in the dark. I found tons of stuff to do then and loved every second of it.
Maybe I do need more activity now that the snow is gone? I just can't seem to find anything to do that interests me. I feel so blah, so down in the dumps.
In doing further online searches it appears I my have something called "summertime blues" which is a form of SAD. I'm going to contact an MD to see what she may have to say.
Go buy yourself a mountain bike and enjoy all the trails in Anchorage, well, all over the place for that matter. You can bike all the way out to Eagle River on a bike. Get a camera and go on mini-road trips, anything to keep you busy. This is a excellent time of year to go and explore. Not many tourists as of yet. I was in town last weekend and drove over to Glennallen and Fairbanks, had a blast. It's amazing how everything on the road system is green, and it's still a ugly brown out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska