Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:28 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the potential is there due to the location of the Capital Region and there are some great institutions of higher learning in the area too.

With that said, I do think there are other areas of the state that would be better suited for similar reasons, but also due to having such institutions in higher volume close by. Take a look at NY's Creative Core website as an example of an area that could be that new hot spot, if that area can think outside of the box enough.

thats like everything from ithaca and syracuse to the st lawrence river, yes? Is that really a coherent region? Its like when folks add IBM in Duchess to make the case of the Capital Region, which also seems a tad silly to me. Maybe its even sillier? what the distance from Ithaca to the St Lawrence, as compared to from Duchess to Saratoga?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 03:05 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I believe that the neighborhoods around RPI are fine and there are parks and hospitals close by.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:32 PM

maybe I have written confusingly and people arent getting what I mean.

As an example - One of the schools DD looked at was Lehigh in Bethlehem. That area also wasn't say, Boston as a college town. But had parks, hospitals, restaurants, a few renovated neighborhoods, etc. Which we saw, the college told us about, etc, etc.

Right outside the motel we stayed in was, under construction, a rails to trails project, a brand new bike path linking the campus and S bethlehem to other trails around the region. Something NEW that would add to quality of life, but which was not yet on any list of amenities cause it was not completed. We just happened to see it, looked it up, etc.

THAT is what I am talking about. Not all the stuff I can look up, that RPI was quick to tell us about, etc. But new things happening in the region, maybe under construction, maybe in planning, maybe not certain to happen, that will (or may) make the area a better, or more happening, place. Could be a new arts venue. A neighborhood on the way up an outsider wouldnt realize. I piece of infrastructure, even something as small as that South Bethlehem bike trail.

Is this helicopter dad so unclear?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:28 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

As an example - One of the schools DD looked at was Lehigh in Bethlehem. That area also wasn't say, Boston as a college town. But had parks, hospitals, restaurants, a few renovated neighborhoods, etc. Which we saw, the college told us about, etc, etc.

Right outside the motel we stayed in was, under construction, a rails to trails project, a brand new bike path linking the campus and S bethlehem to other trails around the region. Something NEW that would add to quality of life, but which was not yet on any list of amenities cause it was not completed. We just happened to see it, looked it up, etc.

THAT is what I am talking about. Not all the stuff I can look up, that RPI was quick to tell us about, etc. But new things happening in the region, maybe under construction, maybe in planning, maybe not certain to happen, that will (or may) make the area a better, or more happening, place. Could be a new arts venue. A neighborhood on the way up an outsider wouldnt realize. I piece of infrastructure, even something as small as that South Bethlehem bike trail.

This might help: Troy NY Neighborhoods (http://www.troyny.gov/neighborhoods.html - broken link)

Look at the areas in the Hill neighborhood/section of town.

TROY.NY :: Neighborhoods & Associations

TROY.NY :: Schools & Colleges

Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 16,355 times
If you haven't taken a ride into Global Foundries and all the new roads leading to it your in for a large surprise. Brand new 4 lane road lead in from Rt 67, new roads from cold spring road and rt 9. They are recreational areas planned - walking/bike trails are already laid out and utilized.
This project is enormous - it has been quoted as the largest project ever in NYS
Not only will Global Foundries be there but there will be many support companies which have been planned for as well.
People are coming into this area from all over to work for GloFo. It is not reliant on the local population with that said there will be much more diversity in population entertainment and things to do.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 AM

150 posts, read 300,647 times
Default helicopter

Hi- There have been many replies that address your questions. Its great you are such a caring Dad ... your daughter is lucky to have you. She will be busy with school work, making new friends, campus activities.. she will be OK!!!

Quote:

Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 PM

83 posts, read 185,866 times
Quote:

Hi helicopter dad!

I live in the area and went to RPI as an adult student a few years ago - I also work on campus. I'm very familiar with the campus and the surroundings. Unfortunately, I think you haven't received any responses on the topic that you are looking for simply because the types of amenities that you mention aren't really present in this area. Not in Troy, at least. There is somewhat of an arts scene in downtown Troy, but I wouldn't particularly call it a "walkable" city except for small parts. The campus is quite nice and the security is very present. Some funky shows happening at EMPAC, though I still don't understand that building entirely (nor do most around here).

My personal opinion regarding RPI is that the academics are more than adequate enough to keep one busy and the extracurricular activities that RPI offers fill the remainder of the schedule. While I lived off campus, my classmates mostly lived in campus and spent their free time socializing and I didn't hear many complaints of boredom. Everyone was quite busy with schoolwork.

If she has a car, there are things to do here and there, outdoorsy stuff. The only thing that I can think of that is upcoming, is the Dinosaur Barbecue restaurant that is opening in Troy. That's a HUGE thing!

RPI is a great school. Just tell her to watch out for that freshman 15 - the food is excellent in the dining halls! Too excellent

Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 AM

507 posts, read 878,901 times
Quote:
I am mainly investing in my DD's education I am looking mainly for things to help us all feel better about her being in Troy for her college years not for the next silicon valley.

The Capitol area in general is one of the best places to live in the USA,most underated area in country.
That said, Troy,although not all that bad, is worst place in it, RPI is best place in Troy.

Unless you are well connected , ARCH is not exactly a blue chip investment.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
The Capitol area in general is one of the best places to live in the USA,most underated area in country.
That said, Troy,although not all that bad, is worst place in it, RPI is best place in Troy.

Unless you are well connected , ARCH is not exactly a blue chip investment.

I didn't mean an investment in terms of getting a huge financial return. We are quite realistic about that.

Can we keep this thread focused on the capital area, troy, etc and not my DD's educational goals, please?

Old 08-29-2010, 07:13 PM

291 posts, read 958,129 times
I am not sure if this helps but a friend of mine grew up in the area and then left after college. When she came back 10 years later the area still much the same. I would not expect much change in the 4 years your daughter attends college in Troy. There is simply not much going in the area. The main ones already have been mentioned and the GF event is HUGE!

Also, the Albany nanotech funding is mainly coming from NYS and when the funds run out the companies will go elsewhere. There have been talks within Albany nanotech about companies leaving when the NYS incentives go away, which is just a matter of time. That's why we haven't seem much growth in the region. The companies are simply not investing for the long run. Just my two cents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area