Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,509,291 times

Advertisements

My DD will be attending RPI in fall of 2011 (she is taking a gap year first). She has lived all her life in greater DC, and while she has spent most of her time on academics and friends, she is to some degree used to big city living. As an Arch major at RPI, who is interested in several on campus activities, I do not expect she will have lots of time for off campus stuff, but it would be nice to know that the area is at least somewhat lively, and more on the upswing than Troy looked when we visited (we did drive around several of the central city Troy areas on our second visit, and had dinner at a restaurant in the restored area near the river)

I am not looking so much for things like theaters and concert venues (thats easy to find) but broader economic, demographic and social trends, that sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 11:52 AM

267 posts, read 968,050 times
There are lots of bars & restaurants to try in the area, a lot of music & art venues, festivals, outdoorsy things, like hiking, skiing, etc. After she's done w/looking around Troy & Albany, she'll have Schenectady, Ballston Spa, Saratoga to check out. On longer weekends it's not too far to check out Vermont, Boston, Lake George, NY and even Montreal. There will be plenty to explore on weekends. She'll be busy w/her studies, RPI is a great school, & architecture is a demanding program in general, she should have a good time there and end up w/a good job when she graduates.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:10 PM

thank you, there are certainly many things to do in the capital area, and it is well located for outdoors recreation (the outdoors rec club seems to be one of the largest and most active student groups at RPI) and also for trips to larger cities (DD is quite excited about Montreal, and we have family in NYC)

I was however, hoping more for something about the future of the area - new venues, new developments, things that will improve the area in the next few years.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 PM

150 posts, read 298,925 times
Global Foundaries in building a very large plant in Malta NY - this will change the area.. Google it..

Old 06-18-2010, 11:34 AM

thanks, that looks like a big deal. I will look into it.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:19 PM

48 posts, read 167,825 times
Howe Caverns is working on plans to build a water park. Still in the planning stage, but in five years or so, they're expecting to have dinosaurs a la Jurassic Park. Designed and built by the same people who made them for the movie, in fact.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,483 times
In addition to the chip fab plant, the College of Nanoscience Engineering on the University of Albany campus is expanding. Not really sure how much either of these are truly going to change the area. There has been this push for the last twelve years to redefine the Hudson Valley and Capital Region as the new Silicon Valley. Having lived in the real Silicon Valley for a very long time I can tell you it won't happen here. There isn't a core of intellectual ferment here that can compare to the Bay Area, the Research Triangle, Boston, or Austin. There are many interesting individuals but they are geographical disperse and there remains a paternalistic, archaic and inward focus here that is not stimulating of new ideas and energy. In other words, if you are looking to invest in a dynamic region with lots of promise, this isn't it.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:33 PM

207 posts, read 640,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln365 View Post
IHaving lived in the real Silicon Valley for a very long time I can tell you it won't happen here. There isn't a core of intellectual ferment here that can compare to the Bay Area, the Research Triangle, Boston, or Austin. There are many interesting individuals but they are geographical disperse and there remains a paternalistic, archaic and inward focus here that is not stimulating of new ideas and energy. In other words, if you are looking to invest in a dynamic region with lots of promise, this isn't it.
I completely agree. The country is replete with "technology corridors" and areas wanting to be the next Silicon Valley, but they are missing the most important ingredient: the people. Richard Florida has written a few related books coining the term Creative Class to describing the type of people that live in tech-rich and tech-emergent areas:

Richard Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-25-2010, 09:10 AM

92,130 posts, read 122,355,529 times
I think the potential is there due to the location of the Capital Region and there are some great institutions of higher learning in the area too.

With that said, I do think there are other areas of the state that would be better suited for similar reasons, but also due to having such institutions in higher volume close by. Take a look at NY's Creative Core website as an example of an area that could be that new hot spot, if that area can think outside of the box enough.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln365 View Post
In other words, if you are looking to invest in a dynamic region with lots of promise, this isn't it.
I am mainly investing in my DD's education I am looking mainly for things to help us all feel better about her being in Troy for her college years not for the next silicon valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area