Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 10:26 PM

3 posts, read 30,590 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm a young professional who will be moving to Albany area after this summer to work in Nisyakuna. I am looking for a safe neighborhood to live, within 30 miles from work. I've heard some crazy things about gang activities near albany area. I know not all of albany is dangerous but i need some help pointing it out where's safe to live. it would also be helpful if you can point to me what areas to avoid.

also, what's the average cost for a one bedroom?

and what kind of car is good for the snow? I heard it snows a lot. should i look for a place with a garage?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Gangs are probably in the bigger cities, but I don't know if it is something that is widespread throughout the metro.

With that said, you might like the Upper Union Area of Schenectady. It's is close to Niskayuna and it seems to be a popular neighborhood:
YouTube - Upper Union St- Albany Schenectady Video Production NY New York

Upper Union Street Business Improvement District|Upper Union Street Business Improvement District

This might help you as well: MapsKrieg - Albany, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent

Renters Guide - Albany Apartments in New York and Albany, NY Apartment Complexes (http://www.rentersguidealbany.com/index.cfm?CFID=994690&CFTOKEN=48977733&page=browse - broken link)

Albany Apartments for Rent | Albany Apartment Finder

Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 11,003 times
I hope you will soon find it.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 PM

207 posts, read 643,106 times
The is an apartment guide here:

Renters Guide - Albany Apartments in New York and Albany, NY Apartment Complexes

As for winter, it can snow quite a bit. Not as much as in Western NY, but if you're not used to snow then it will probably seem like a lot. I drive a front wheel drive car and throw on snow tires in the winter. Roads here are cleared quickly, but it can be treacherous during and right after a big snow or on side roads that have not yet been cleared.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:34 AM

507 posts, read 878,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptra2011 View Post
Hi, i'm a young professional who will be moving to Albany area after this summer to work in Nisyakuna. I am looking for a safe neighborhood to live, within 30 miles from work. I've heard some crazy things about gang activities near albany area. I know not all of albany is dangerous but i need some help pointing it out where's safe to live. it would also be helpful if you can point to me what areas to avoid.

also, what's the average cost for a one bedroom?

and what kind of car is good for the snow? I heard it snows a lot. should i look for a place with a garage?

thanks
Every place in the Capitol area is among the safest in the US except the small ghetto areas in the 3 main cities.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Thank you so much! especially for the youtube videos and links! they are super helpful!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
Every place in the Capitol area is among the safest in the US except the small ghetto areas in the 3 main cities.
Pretty much, for the most part.....

Old 07-06-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Pretty much, for the most part.....
Which parts of the city is known as the ghetto area?

What kind of cars do people drive in the area? Is Honda CR-V a popular choice? for its ability to drive in the snow...

thanks

Old 07-07-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptra2011 View Post
Which parts of the city is known as the ghetto area?

What kind of cars do people drive in the area? Is Honda CR-V a popular choice? for its ability to drive in the snow...

thanks
Well, it seems like Arbor Hill, parts of West hill and parts of the south End are the roughest in Albany. In Schenectady, it seems like the Hamilton Hill and Vale area is the roughest. I'm so sure about Troy though.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 AM

315 posts, read 871,361 times
mY Wifes family > well her sister and 2 brothers, and thier families live in the Schenectady area. As a matter of fact, she has taken her vacation and gone up there from Northern NJ where we live for this week.. I decided to skip the trip this time.
I was layed off after 15 yrs in the production buisness, every postion I see that fits me is 50 plus miles south of here.- or in Korea ,where my job went to-----------
I was thinking about long commutes, or moving to central NJ- but honestly I just dont like central NJ
She makes OK money here, but we,re willing to give it up- and start over again (we,re in our early 50,s)
We would stay with, and have the help and support from her family for a little while until we got settled. We would move our 401K,s to the proper finicial instiutions , maybe borrowing a few grand from ourselves, and take the acura and little else.
It may sound crazy, but the cost of Northern NJ apartments, and overall living has gotten out of control. - Now , trying to get the salary I was used to making is seeming impossible.With near record unemployment and hiring freezes on , its very fustrating. Even if I get in the door Im offered a lowball salary, because they know they can get away with it. Experiance only goes so far.
This unemployment and job search has gone on for a year already, ,,,depressing ..I cant tell ya how much...As far as retireing in NJ - that is a whole other post******

I know the cost of Apt living is cheaper in the Albany/ Schenectady areas- and I do have a few companies that I used to deal with as our venders - that I could try my connections with- (after all I have established relationships with then over 15 yrs)- The best case scenerio would be that I get hired, I know that they dont pay NYC/Northern NJ salaries- but if everything is realitive ,maybe it could work out.
I guess the question is- what area around these 2 cities are best for my situation- Im talking about costs, traffic, business districts- -no worries about kids or schools of course, but safety of course should be a concern- not diversity

We like the option of public transportation ,as we only want 1 car- and prefer a moRe urban than rural area ( although small nieghboorhoods on the outskirts of A city would be OK)-
If a 80,000 dollar househould income here- turned into a 65,000 dollar household income- would it be possible to live relitively comfortable up there??
My wife is coming home tomorrow, and Im sure she,ll still be in vacation mode- Im sure Ill get biased answers from her at this point..

Just wondering

Last edited by tceffo; 07-13-2010 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: Keys are sticking -the spelling is a mess- but its readable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area