Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 07:32 PM

220 posts, read 469,706 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting the Schenectady area the weekend of July 31st and are looking for a convenient, decent hotel recommendation. We'll be driving up from the shoreline in CT on Friday and spending the day in Adams, MA visiting my father-in-law. Saturday is a family reunion in the Schenectady area, not sure exactly where, and Sunday we plan to visit Howe Caverns. I'd like to choose a place with a convenient location for those 2 nights, with the most important criteria being a nice pool for our 5 year old daughter, nice safe area for a family, and kind of reasonable. Not sure what the going rates are, anything under $100 or $150 a night would be okay, even cheaper would be great just so long as the pool was nice. As we don't know the area at all, I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 PM

93 posts, read 242,716 times
I was just up there in June for a graduation...

The Hampton Inn on State Street (I think) in Schenectady has an indoor pool open later, hot breakfast, exercise room....
(See this page for some hotels in Schenectady http://realtravel.com/dh-4634-schenectady_hotels)

With that said, that hotel (as big as it was) was booked when we went. We stayed in a great boutique hotel just a few feet away...The Parker (adjacent to Proctors Theater)...But no indoor pool....They upgraded our room and it was really, really nice...(The day we arrived, there was a flyer offering $75 for that night...we were charged something like $125 so since we mentioned the flyer got discounted 2nd night). http://www.parkerinn.com/tour.htm

This area of Schenectady is really nice looking...Behind the Proctors Theater, we happened upon the live lotto drawing...view through windows...Didn't bring me any luck though, still lost.

Last edited by franaissance; 07-16-2010 at 10:55 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 PM

220 posts, read 469,706 times
Thanks so much for the helpful info and links. Maybe we'll get lucky and hit the lottery while we're up there.... might put in our own pool then!!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:16 AM

267 posts, read 971,245 times
Both of the places that franaissance mentioned were the ones I would have mentioned, both are gorgeous and in great locations. If you want something right in the city but both of those are booked, The Stockade Inn is beautiful, great food, awesome location right in the Stockade. On the cheaper end of the spectrum is the Holiday Inn, 10 years ago when I had family stay there, there was a pool and it was nice. Also 10 years ago some friends stayed at the Days Inn across the street from the Holiday Inn, and I would not recommend that place, it was musty smelling and was outdated. Just over the river in Glenville is the Lighthouse Restaurant & Inn, not as convenient, you can't walk to anything, but it's a pretty location right on the river and the food is really good. Also across the river in Scotia is the Glen Sanders, also beautiful, great food and on the river. Across the street is Jumping Jacks, and Collins Park, playground, pond for swimming. I don't recomend any of the small motels on upper State St. in Sch'dy. Good luck, let me know if places are booked up, I'll think of more places. Racing season in Saratoga can affect hotels all the way in Sch'dy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area