U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 05:44 PM

83 posts, read 172,510 times

Advertisements

Oh, and look at Hudson Valley Community College for nursing. If you find it interesting, apply now! Very long waiting list. I considered nursing school myself and looked into Samaritan Hospital in Troy, they had a decent program.... but HVCC is top notch. Great college, great price.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 05:51 PM

7,558 posts, read 6,414,467 times
Glenmont would be a good bet for you guys, it's part of the Bethlehem school district, and 787 isn't far either, for info about the town google Glenmont or 12077. Good Luck

Old 07-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Yes, Saratoga High is big. Too many drug/gang issues, I just didn't want the kids there. There were there for a couple years of elementary school, but that was my max for them. We're in a "cozier" district now.

I'd look at the suggestions mentioned, though I'm not a fan of Ballston Spa so much. I'd bump to the next town past Schuylerville and look at Greenwich also. Nice town and district... just a bit of a hike if you aren't a fan of driving.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 PM

74 posts, read 316,000 times
We have 3 kids, we live in the Ballston Spa school district and have been very happy. There's always something to do (though more in the summer). Our children are thriving here.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:04 PM

17 posts, read 38,015 times
Thank you all
I found out a couple high school classmates in the ballston spa area

I have been using greatschools.org and the school in clifton park look decent, little bit closer then ballston spa.. how is it there?

After moving out of sacramento, I can't imagine the crime and everything is worse then the looting, gangs and crap going on here these days..

Old 08-01-2010, 08:01 PM

74 posts, read 316,000 times
Clifton Park (Shenendehowa) is much bigger than Ballston Spa. Athletics good though perhaps more difficult to make varsity.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:35 PM

My kids are only 6, 3 & 2 so I am not to worried about that at this time
I am more worried about academics

Old 08-02-2010, 10:23 AM

No, the crime is nowhere close to what you are used to I am sure!

Shen may even be bigger than Saratoga, actually. Not 100% sure on that but from what I understand they are on par with each other. Competitors, if you will. Given the choice, I'd choose Saratoga or even BS over Clifton Park. CP is essentially suburbia. If you are looking for a quick route to shopping, CP will give you that - but after growing up in Saratoga I have a hard time finding many redeeming qualities in CP. When you are spoiled by walkability and a community feeling, suburbia tends to look quite bland! But for some, it's a great place to be. Closer to Albany and the metro area than Saratoga is.

My mother works just past Shen, passes it every day on her way to work. If you have any questions about particular areas, feel free to ask!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 AM

BTW - I honestly think that unless you are looking for something specific, you'll be pleased with nearly all of the schools academically. The schools really are pretty darn great here and as long as you stay away from the "city" districts (which are easy to spot on greatschools as they have ratings of 3 and 4) you'll be pleased.

I love, love, love Brittonkill - I feel that it's a bubble sort of school and the children aren't as mature as in other areas. My 5th grader has many friends and they knit and play chess at sleepovers. I just think that's so cool LOL. But like I said, you are going to find many good schools within a decent commute. Maybe too many to choose from! Find the town that you like and start poking around.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:40 AM

this might sound dumb but when you say "shen" are you referring to Schenectady.. ? hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area