U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 AM
 
17 posts, read 38,029 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Oh and I am not comfortable in applying yet because we don't 100% know if we are moving, we need to see if my husband's company wins the contract.
I already have a bachelors and would like to get towards my BSN too.. I don't see many 2nd Bach programs in the capital area (Sage was the only one google has turned up so far) BUT it looked like plenty of RN programs around
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2010, 02:08 PM
 
65,690 posts, read 91,569,867 times
Reputation: 14386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnbound View Post
this might sound dumb but when you say "shen" are you referring to Schenectady.. ? hehe
No, that is in reference to the Shenendehowa School District, which is based primarily in Clifton Park.

Also, Saratoga High has legit gangs?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 05:41 PM
 
83 posts, read 172,576 times
Reputation: 22
Whether they are gang or gang want-to-be's, I don't know. I have heard it to be an issue there, though.

There was nothing of the sort when I went to school there, but my the time my siblings started trickling through (I'm a good bit older than they) there were issues that still exist today.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 PM
 
27 posts, read 65,219 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnbound View Post
this might sound dumb but when you say "shen" are you referring to Schenectady.. ? hehe
Shenendehowa
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
220 posts, read 475,685 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandytab View Post
Whether they are gang or gang want-to-be's, I don't know. I have heard it to be an issue there, though.

There was nothing of the sort when I went to school there, but my the time my siblings started trickling through (I'm a good bit older than they) there were issues that still exist today.
I went to Saratoga High. In either 10th or 11th grade (this is in 1999-2000) the administration made all students take a test in gym class which would supposedly determine whether or not we were in a gang or at risk for joining a gang. No one took it seriously, because if there really were gangs, they were certainly not prominent or causing trouble at the school.

I now live in New Haven, CT, where there actually ARE serious gangs and gang-related crime and shootings. If anything really is going on with gangs at SSHS, which I sincerely doubt, it is nowhere near what it is in other parts of the country. As for drugs, people did drugs when I was there, and I'm sure they still do drugs now, but that should not be surprising, really, since this seems to go on everywhere.

I received a good education at SSHS, graduated in the top 25 of my class, and went to an excellent university. I do agree that most of the school districts in the area are fine. As for size comparison, my graduating class was close to 500. Shenendehowa was between 700 and 800. The two schools are indeed rivals - they are also two of the larger high schools in the area (some surrounding districts had as few as 70 students graduating, according to friends who went there).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 AM
 
291 posts, read 883,628 times
Reputation: 113
Have you been to the Capital region area before? I recommend you check out the area first to make sure you want to live there. It might a shock coming from California. It is quite different! I strongly suggest you visit first and then make your decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM
 
12,787 posts, read 18,636,551 times
Reputation: 6776
Quote:
Originally Posted by inetlom View Post
I went to Saratoga High. In either 10th or 11th grade (this is in 1999-2000) the administration made all students take a test in gym class which would supposedly determine whether or not we were in a gang or at risk for joining a gang. No one took it seriously, because if there really were gangs, they were certainly not prominent or causing trouble at the school.

I now live in New Haven, CT, where there actually ARE serious gangs and gang-related crime and shootings. If anything really is going on with gangs at SSHS, which I sincerely doubt, it is nowhere near what it is in other parts of the country. As for drugs, people did drugs when I was there, and I'm sure they still do drugs now, but that should not be surprising, really, since this seems to go on everywhere.

I received a good education at SSHS, graduated in the top 25 of my class, and went to an excellent university. I do agree that most of the school districts in the area are fine. As for size comparison, my graduating class was close to 500. Shenendehowa was between 700 and 800. The two schools are indeed rivals - they are also two of the larger high schools in the area (some surrounding districts had as few as 70 students graduating, according to friends who went there).
Yea I was suprised to see the reference to gangs in Saratoga HS. What does that mean? Crips/Bloods? Sharks and the Jets? The Outsiders? Keystone Cops?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2010, 10:18 PM
 
17 posts, read 38,029 times
Reputation: 10
@OrangeSunset

I am originally from the Northeast, until 2003 when I moved to California, I had always lived in Mass and NH. I spent a lot of time in Lake george but have only been to the capital city a handful of times.

I do not like California and have managed to live here for 7 years because of the job opportunity for my husband. The same reason we would go back east. At least in Albany I am only 4 hours from home and can go see my friends..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2010, 02:25 PM
 
65,690 posts, read 91,569,867 times
Reputation: 14386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnbound View Post
@OrangeSunset

I am originally from the Northeast, until 2003 when I moved to California, I had always lived in Mass and NH. I spent a lot of time in Lake george but have only been to the capital city a handful of times.

I do not like California and have managed to live here for 7 years because of the job opportunity for my husband. The same reason we would go back east. At least in Albany I am only 4 hours from home and can go see my friends..
Maybe this would help: Capital Region Jobs
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2010, 11:01 PM
 
17 posts, read 38,029 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you but if we moved to Albany it would be a company transfer He was transferred to California but now the contract is over and if they win the bid we'd be transferred to NY..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top