U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 PM

26 posts, read 84,479 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have an opportunity to relocate to the area. My wife and I are both in our late 30's. We have twin six year old boys, both need special education classes for developmental delays.

I have lived in Florida all my life so moving to upstate NY, the winters and the change in lifestyle will be a bit of a shock to us.

My office would be in Schenectady. Schools for the boys special needs would be our top priority. We would like to live in a walkable neighborhood in a house with a decent sized yard (kids love to go outside, they are used to Florida winters). I would prefer a commute in the 20-30 minute range.

I expect to be making around 80K per year. We will likely rent for the first year before we settle in to buy.

I would imagine that during the first year we would also be doing a lot a day trips to the city, Boston, Montreal, etc. to check out what the northeast has to offer.

I have not set foot in the area since we stopped there on a family trip when I was 10 years old, so I am not familiar at all (I will be heading up there to meet with my potential employer next week).

Any hints on not only good areas, but tips that someone should look for in a house (things like generators for when the power goes out in the winter). We only have generators around for when a hurricane comes through here in Florida.

I have spent the last couple of days scanning the forum, but would appreciate any help with my specific situation.

Thanks.

Jason
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 PM

83 posts, read 172,576 times
Hi there! I really don't know very much regarding the Schenectady side of things, except that it's not a great place to live. My brother lives there but will homeschool his daughter - the public schools are horrid. I can't think of any highly walkable town besides Saratoga, and that will be a bit of a commute to you.

I wanted to say welcome to the area! Generators can be a good thing, but we don't have one in our house and it's never been a huge deal.

For a home - energy efficiency will be your biggest factor. When we purchased our house we knew we'd need to change out our system; forced air with an oil furnace simply is way too expensive. We bought a pellet stove and have been happy as heck with it!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:13 PM

267 posts, read 891,652 times
You can always see some of my previous posts about Sch'dy but in short I really like it. My kids are in the public schools. We are in the neighborhood near Ellis Hospital. It's very walkable. My kids and I walk quite a bit. That was one thing I loved about this area the sidewalks and things to walk to. We walk to school, the hospital, several local stores, Union College. We are also near the bike path which is nice too. Other areas near Sch'dy that you should consider are Niskayuna, Scotia, Guilderland. There are lots of great areas around. I'd suggest visiting schools and asking about the support you may or may not receive for your kids. And then try and rent in the school zone that you are considering. My husband is from Florida too and honestly he didn't have a hard time getting use to the weather up here. We make sure to enjoy each season. To enjoy the winter try taking up a winter sport. I'm sure the kids will love the snow. Good luck on your search!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:34 PM

Thank you for the advice so far.

We are not tied to Schenectady. That is just where my office would be. I certainly would not mind a 20-30 minute commute.

We live in Florida in a run of the mill sub-division. I would like to live somewhere that "feels" like the northeast.

We are big hockey fans, so the winter sports won't be a problem. Heck...I might even build a backyard rink. It will be the temperatures that will take some getting used to.

Jason

Old 07-31-2010, 06:05 AM

267 posts, read 891,652 times
Well I love places w/sidewalks, trees, interesting architecture (no sub-divisions for me). When we moved here we looked in about a 30 mile radius around the capital district. I'm a stay at home mom, and my husband didn't make $80k so we were on a tighter budget. But the house we found in Sch'dy was by far the best deal. I realize you could live in lots of places, I'm just saying to consider it, it'd be nice not having much of a commute. But other towns/cities around here that we considered were Niskayuna (only the old section, Hillside or Craig Elementary Schools), Scotia (there is one walking elementary, near downtown, can't remember the name), Guilderland, Altamont (kind of far), Ballston Spa (again I'd say a bit far). There other areas that are nice, but not the charm I was looking for, but have great schools and are very convenient - Clifton Park & Colonie.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:11 AM

83 posts, read 172,576 times
My brother works in Ballston Spa and lives in Schenectady - it's about a half hour commute, not too bad for him. j12308 - you must be near my brother, he's close to Ellis also. I have a suspicion that you are on the "nicer" side of Ellis than he is. The greener side! You can take a walk around the block where he is, but the folks you come by are kinda creepy IMO.

Yes, I'd visit the schools. In my personal opinion, Schenectady is one of the districts that I flat out wouldn't put my kids in - I know a few kids in the district and hear what they have to say and what their parents have to say and it isn't pleasant.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:54 PM

6,345 posts, read 14,170,104 times
You might check out: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Schuylerville schools are very good so you might check into the various towns which it covers. Schnectedy is 45 minutes from Saratoga Springs. There are some really nice towns in the nearby vicinity which might meet your criteria.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:57 PM

74 posts, read 316,338 times
We live in Malta which is in between Saratoga and Ballston SPa (both with good charm and walkable streets). In Malta they are creating a "new" downtown. Global Foundaries is building a huge nanotech plant and going to make our area grow and state of the art. We have an awesome community center/library and amazing youth programs through BARC. We love the schools and our kids are thriving. Let me know if you need more info.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:16 PM

65,696 posts, read 91,569,867 times
What about communities like Scotia, the village of Colonie, Delmar in the very good Bethlehem SD, parts of Niskayuna closer to Schenectady, Altamont in the Guilderland SD and perhaps Westmere(which also might be in the Guilderland SD).

Also, this can give you an idea of what area school districts have hockey programs: Capital District High School Hockey League

Old 08-08-2010, 04:50 PM

Thanks for all of your help so far. I will be up there on Tuesday to visit on Tuesday. I will try to drive by a few of your suggestions in between meetings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area