Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,769 times

Advertisements

How much does a 5unit building go for in downtown historic troy? Is it still a good investment/ and live in?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 01:48 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Not only that, but the Troylettes are being given the honor of a 9.3% property tax increase next year for the privilege of living in their wonderful city. Of course, the city council that never lost an opportunity to spend money or award fat union contracts is now fulminating against it and pointing fingers in as many directions as they have fingers.

They'r also laughing at their own charade, secure in the knowledge that the morons that elected them the last time will re-elect them the next.
I don't make a habit of quoting myself, but: another year, another tax increase! (Above was for 2016. Below is for 2017.)

Troy Budget Update: Mayor Softens Tax Hike | WAMC

"...the (mayor's) 28.2 percent tax increase it came with drew groans from residents and has been the subject of intense scrutiny and debate ever since.

Friday, the first-term Democrat announced the tax hike has been modified, lowered to 25.3 percent, and he's calling on the GOP-led council to get on with business: override the cap and approve his spending plan."

From Mayor Rosemelia to Mayor Madden: Troylettes sure know how to pick 'em! (Although I understand the cops helped this process along somehow.)

Now, the Council (Republicans) have come up with a 9+% tax increase budget. So, the final will be between 9+% and 25.3%. Vs. 2014 taxes will have gone up a minimum of 20% compounded. Maybe as much as 36% or so.

They should fire the Business Improvement Director immediately because there's not going to be any business to improve at this rate.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:53 PM

93,258 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I have a question....Why does the city of Troy have 2 school districts that serve the city(and some adjacent areas outside the city)? Why not consolidate the Troy City and Lansingburgh Central school districts? That could possibly help in regards to lessening tax issues/burdens for city residents and businesses.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-02-2016 at 05:06 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I have a question....Why does the city of Troy have 2 school districts that serve the city(and some adjacent areas outside the city)? Why not consolidate the Troy City and Lansingburgh Central school districts? That could possibly help in regards to lessening tax issues/burdens for city residents and businesses.
Because 1 person might get laid off.

How do the do school taxes in cities. In towns we get 1 bill from the town and 1 from the school district. Mine come out to $13,000 on a $300,000 house.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Because 1 person might get laid off.

How do the do school taxes in cities. In towns we get 1 bill from the town and 1 from the school district. Mine come out to $13,000 on a $300,000 house.
I believe it is the same, but I was curious about why Troy is still served by 2 school districts.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I believe it is the same, but I was curious about why Troy is still served by 2 school districts.
Towns are too. Brunswick has Averill Park and Tamarac, North Greenbush has Columbia and Averill Park.

So it's only Troy's property taxes that are going up 20% - 25%. Still, that's a lot. Most of Troy is in government housing but the rest are mostly old people who are below average income if not poor. All the cops, teachers, RPI professors, etc. live out of town. It's going to be very tough on the people not on assistance.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Towns are too. Brunswick has Averill Park and Tamarac, North Greenbush has Columbia and Averill Park.

So it's only Troy's property taxes that are going up 20% - 25%. Still, that's a lot. Most of Troy is in government housing but the rest are mostly old people who are below average income if not poor. All the cops, teachers, RPI professors, etc. live out of town. It's going to be very tough on the people not on assistance.

Is this even true? While the city's poverty rate(like most cities in the country) is above the state figure, it isn't even the worst in the state and about 72% of the city and 76% of the city's families aren't in poverty. This isn't even considering the college students that contribute to the poverty rate: Troy, NY Income and Careers - USA.com™

There appears to be areas of the city that are or may be within the range of middle class: Census Tract 041100 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Tract 041200 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Tract 041300 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 041000-1 in Rensselaer County, New York
Census Block Group 041000-3 in Rensselaer County, New York
In this tract: Census Tract 041000 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Tract 041400 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 040200-4 in Rensselaer County, New York
Census Block Group 040200-6 in Rensselaer County, New York
In this tract: Census Tract 040200 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 040100-2 in Rensselaer County, New York
Tract: Census Tract 040100 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 040300-1 in Rensselaer County, New York
Tract: Census Tract 040300 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 040600-1 in Rensselaer County, New York
Tract: Census Tract 040600 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 040900-2 in Rensselaer County, New York
Tract: Census Tract 040900 in Rensselaer County, New York

Source: Are you in the US middle class? Try our income calculator | Pew Research Center

My point about the school districts is because most cities have only 1 school district that serves that city, not 2 like Troy does. That is very rare and may be the only city in the state that is served by 2 school districts. I would think consolidating to one Greater Troy City SD would help in terms of property taxes within the city. I agree that this is going to be a pain for tax paying residents though.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-05-2016 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Is this even true? While the city's poverty rate(like most cities in the country) is above the state figure, it isn't even the worst in the state and about 72% of the city and 76% of the city's families aren't in poverty. This isn't even considering the college students that contribute to the poverty rate: Troy, NY Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

There appears to be areas of the city that are or may be within the range of middle class: Census Tract 041100 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Tract 041200 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Tract 041300 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 041000-1 in Rensselaer County, New York
Census Block Group 041000-3 in Rensselaer County, New York
In this tract: Census Tract 041000 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Tract 041400 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 040200-4 in Rensselaer County, New York
Census Block Group 040200-6 in Rensselaer County, New York
In this tract: Census Tract 040200 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 040100-2 in Rensselaer County, New York
Tract: Census Tract 040100 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 040300-1 in Rensselaer County, New York
Tract: Census Tract 040300 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 040600-1 in Rensselaer County, New York
Tract: Census Tract 040600 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 040900-2 in Rensselaer County, New York
Tract: Census Tract 040900 in Rensselaer County, New York

Source: Are you in the US middle class? Try our income calculator | Pew Research Center

My point about the school districts is because most cities have only 1 school district that serves that city, not 2 like Troy does. That is very rare and may be the only city in the state that is served by 2 school districts. I would think consolidating to one SD would help in terms of property taxes within the city.
If it hasn't helped in the towns why should it help in the city? I don't think school taxes as especially low in Albany or Schenectady. Do they have 1 or 2 school districts.

I didn't look at your articles. But if you drive around Troy you see very little middle-middle class or better. Maybe the Crossroads. There are new townhouses on Oakwood, too. But South Troy, Lansingburgh, Sycaway, Beman Park, Albia all must be lower-middle class or worse. The houses are pretty beat and getting more so year by year. I can see a difference just in the last five years.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
If it hasn't helped in the towns why should it help in the city? I don't think school taxes as especially low in Albany or Schenectady. Do they have 1 or 2 school districts.

I didn't look at your articles. But if you drive around Troy you see very little middle-middle class or better. Maybe the Crossroads. There are new townhouses on Oakwood, too. But South Troy, Lansingburgh, Sycaway, Beman Park, Albia all must be lower-middle class or worse. The houses are pretty beat and getting more so year by year. I can see a difference just in the last five years.
It applies for towns as well, which may or may not have help from an industry presence and why County school districts should be something residents should consider. What hurts cities is that there is quite a few tax exempt properties like colleges and churches as well. This doesn't get into other layers of government. Both of those cities have only 1 district, which I believe that you know is the case.

As for the information, it is relatively recent information(2010-2014) that was retrieved from the census. It is the result of an average of census information from each year of that time period. So, it does includes information from within the past 5 years. Albia appears to still be straight/solidly middle class and the most relatively affluent area of the city: Census Tract 041200 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 041100-1 in Rensselaer County, New York
Census Block Group 041100-3 in Rensselaer County, New York
In same tract adjacent to the tract above and within the neighborhood.

The other tracts/block groups listed are more lower to straight middle class(metro median household income is $61,841 for this time period).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-05-2016 at 07:56 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
It applies for towns as well, which may or may not have help from an industry presence and why County school districts should be something residents should consider. What hurts cities is that there is quite a few tax exempt properties like colleges and churches as well. This doesn't get into other layers of government. Both of those cities have only 1 district, which I believe that you know is the case.

As for the information, it is relatively recent information(2010-2014) that was retrieved from the census. It is the result of an average of census information from each year of that time period. So, it does includes information from within the past 5 years. Albia appears to still be straight/solidly middle class and the most relatively affluent area of the city: Census Tract 041200 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 041100-1 in Rensselaer County, New York
Census Block Group 041100-3 in Rensselaer County, New York
In same tract adjacent to the tract above and within the neighborhood.

The other tracts/block groups listed are more lower to straight middle class(metro median household income is $61,841 for this time period).
Drive out Pawling Ave. and tell me it's middle class. They were moaning about all the tax exempt property in Troy when I was a teenager. 50 years of this. The neighborhoods weren't bad then. Now they are. It's simply that they got old along with their people and taxes when from high to extortionary. Cluetts is gone. Marshall Ray is gone. There isn't 1 new car dealer, just a bunch of 3rd hand car lots. It seems the only thing there are more of is bars and I can understand why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area