Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,941 times

Advertisements

I wondered for years about that radioactive poisoning in the Capital District in the spring of 1953. New York Times reported on it many years ago. I suffered from cancer in the 1960's and then again with Lymphoma many years later. Just a thought and wonder about others. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 06:57 AM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siestabuck View Post
I wondered for years about that radioactive poisoning in the Capital District in the spring of 1953. New York Times reported on it many years ago. I suffered from cancer in the 1960's and then again with Lymphoma many years later. Just a thought and wonder about others. Thank you
Was this in Troy or in a nearby community?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:56 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Was this in Troy or in a nearby community?
Actually, I heard about this many, many years ago. The story I heard was that a professor and his students had radiation detectors that were registering off the charts anytime they walked near water. A day or two before, the government set off nukes in the desert that due to the jetstream, directly hit the capital of NY. Supposedly the government classified their findings and never told the truth to the population. There may be some truth to the story: The Troy Incident / Nuclear Fallout

Also, on a related note, it seems pretty probable that John Wayne died of radiation exposure while working on a movie set in Utah due to the nuclear tests nearby. It was that same explosion that was the one that affected the Capital region: https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ood-john-wayne

Old 02-03-2017, 02:03 PM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Actually, I heard about this many, many years ago. The story I heard was that a professor and his students had radiation detectors that were registering off the charts anytime they walked near water. A day or two before, the government set off nukes in the desert that due to the jetstream, directly hit the capital of NY. Supposedly the government classified their findings and never told the truth to the population. There may be some truth to the story: The Troy Incident / Nuclear Fallout

Also, on a related note, it seems pretty probable that John Wayne died of radiation exposure while working on a movie set in Utah due to the nuclear tests nearby. It was that same explosion that was the one that affected the Capital region: https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ood-john-wayne
Interesting....Good info, VS!

Old 06-30-2017, 07:32 AM

4 posts, read 4,764 times
This OP posted 10 years ago so I am sure this is no longer relevant to him/her but to anyone considering. Do not move to Troy. It is not a good place for ANY family.

I grew up in Troy, spent most of my life there but moved away in my early 20's. I have been to every area in Troy and have spent a lot of time in all of them. I have seen the absolute worst Troy has to offer (hidden crack houses that nobody knows about) To the absolute best of Troy (beautiful downtown homes, great colleges and many landscapes).

It is a VERY unique and interesting place for sure. The people who live there (most) will defend it to their death. They have more pride for their home than anyone in the world I would bet money on. There are great things like that. But...It really is a bad place. There is a lot of crime, lots of bad people. Gangs, drugs, corrupt police who do and sell those drugs and it is just getting worse.

There used to be places I would hang out in South Troy as a young hoodlum that I would never go to now. I went back to visit a few years after I left (10 years ago) and it was starting to get worse and it was already bad to begin with. I read a few pages here but not all, if you see the comment from the girl of the co worker friend who was "proud" of his criminal history then there you go, it was funny but that is the typical person from Troy.

If you are a college kid, want to experience some crazy times and see a really cool place then sure go to Troy. If you want to raise a family then you are pretty much an idiot if you move to Troy. You will not be doing right by your child. The schools are very rough, and the streets are even rougher. The one comment I read where the guy said he wants his son to relive the same memories even if his son gets "roughed up" was ridiculous.

It is definitely not the worst place in the world and there are some nice parts of Troy if you go way up the Hill but it would be a hard pass if you care for your families safety and well being.

You could avoid half of the City and stay inside all day but if you have kids and they are curious they may grow up into some pretty bad things.

Just my advice as someone who was born in raised in Troy. Thankfully got out.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:07 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Wow!

Old 05-12-2019, 01:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,814 times
Troy was cool back in the day now it's crack and herion infested, hello mayor, do something your road ,does not have potholes , but every other road in troy does, and open the pools 4 the kids scumbag.

Last edited by Scottyrockny; 05-12-2019 at 01:28 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 01:58 PM

19 posts, read 15,805 times
I go to Troy on a semi regular basis and I am always on guard when I walk around the streets of downtown. I bowl at Uncle Sam Lanes and have walked from there to the bus stop to get home late at night. The term "The freaks come out at night" rings true for this area. I have had drunks try to assault me, I've had to carefully step around the drug users dancing in the side streets, Etc.

I realize downtown Troy isn't much different from Downtown Albany, but the area looks and feels run down and slummy.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:52 PM

34 posts, read 70,182 times
I'm one of the early enthusiasts on this thread that started in 2007 and would like to hear more updates. My people on the ground in Troy tell me it's much improved since I lived there. It's now "hip".

Improvements were made to the waterfront park to make it more safe and beautiful. The farmers market now operates there in the summer. The farmers market can draw in 15k people on Saturdays.
https://www.facebook.com/TroyWaterfrontFarmersMarket/

There are more great restaurants than before. I tried these last time I was there. YUM. But there are many more:
https://www.sunhees.com/order-online
Troy Kitchen

The Center of Gravity is a makerspace right downtown with all sorts of stuff going on and helps build community.
https://www.tvcog.net/

Looks like bike rescue is still in operation. God I love Troy lol.
https://www.facebook.com/troybikerescue/

Troy pops up in national new nowadays too. Kirsten Gillibrand opened her presidential campaign headquarters downtown:
https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispa...ten-gillibrand

Also one of the Washington Park homes in Troy was featured in this article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/24/r...ype=collection

Okay, still pro-Troy. It doesn't mean it's for everyone. Also I'm not sure what's going on there right now, but it does appear to have made progress since I lived there. I actually plan to move back when I'm ready to leave the Bay Area, maybe in 5 years.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,814 times
Default Potholes

Ok Troy was a good City back in the day, but now it's, a drug infected, joke. Crack and heorion, the cops or mayor, don't do anything because it keeps. Them imployed. Open the pools for the kids, mayor scumbag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area