U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:57 AM

3 posts, read 9,592 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this forum for a while and decided to pose a question as it appears we will be moving to the Albany area within a few months. My husbands job will be in Schnectady. We will have about $600k to spend on a house, but would rather spend less. I've been to Saratoga and was convinced that was where we would want to be, but Delmar is looking pretty good, too. The schools are better and you certainly get more for your house. However, we love all the parks, arts, restaurants, shopping and events that Saratoga would have to offer. What does Delmar have in the way of this? Do most people just go to Albany for things when they live in Delmar? Other than the cost and somewhat longer commute for my husband, what would be the downside to living in Saratoga?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:18 AM

65,499 posts, read 91,325,464 times
It seems like you can't go wrong either way. I would think that people in Delmar would go to Albany for cultural things. Saratoga Springs does have quite a bit to do for it's size.

Also, Saratoga Springs schools aren't bad by any means. You could go with the very good Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Schools instead. That way the commute for your husband would be shorter and going to Saratoga Springs wouldn't be so bad. Shenendehowa Schools in Clifton Park might be a good idea as well due to their location between Albany and Saratoga Springs. It also wouldn't be a bad trek to Schenectady either. Niskayuna Schools right next to Schenectady would be another very good option and arguably might be the "best" school district in the area.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 AM

263 posts, read 569,957 times
If we would have to do it again, we would have move just South of Saratoga Springs, like Burnt hills, Malta etc, would save me 20 minutes on travel to Albany, however we are 4 miles from the track and center of Town, going to the SPAC and see the Tom Petty /CSN concert next week (15 min away) its simply a great place to live, like a City in the Country, we have friends in Delmar, its simply a burb of Albany, nice town etc, but no comparaison with Toga. NYC ballet in July, Opera, concerts and close to the Adirondack Wilderness and lake George. Saratoga, Burnt Hills,Shen, are some of the best Schools. With 450K you can get a great home around here at this time, great home.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
If we would have to do it again, we would have move just South of Saratoga Springs, like Burnt hills, Malta etc, would save me 20 minutes on travel to Albany, however we are 4 miles from the track and center of Town, going to the SPAC and see the Tom Petty /CSN concert next week (15 min away) its simply a great place to live, like a City in the Country, we have friends in Delmar, its simply a burb of Albany, nice town etc, but no comparaison with Toga. NYC ballet in July, Opera, concerts and close to the Adirondack Wilderness and lake George. Saratoga, Burnt Hills,Shen, are some of the best Schools. With 450K you can get a great home around here at this time, great home.
One of my worries is that the track would shut down. It seems like that almost happened this year. If that did happen, what would it do to real estate prices? It'd be just our luck to buy high and then have the values all fall because the track closed. Is there enough going for Saratoga without horse racing?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:38 PM

65,499 posts, read 91,325,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastgal View Post
One of my worries is that the track would shut down. It seems like that almost happened this year. If that did happen, what would it do to real estate prices? It'd be just our luck to buy high and then have the values all fall because the track closed. Is there enough going for Saratoga without horse racing?
It seems like it, as it does have a good amount of nightlife for a city of its size. So, it might be fine without the track.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:33 PM

6,322 posts, read 14,149,758 times
Quote:
Take a ride around the horse farms and down Millionaire Row. There is a lot of wealth in Saratoga, including the ruler of Dubai. Also the foreclosure rate in this area is only 1 in 640, way below the national average. During the down turn in real estate, values upstate didn't fall as drastically as other places in the US.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:00 PM

Definitly agree with Ellwood, real estate did not go down much around here except for old crappy places. The track has been open for 135 years, 6 weeks in the summer, no worries, every year you hear the same stuff on TV, its a bit like the bird flu scare, pops up every now and then, besides the VLT's are now going into Aqueduc, a big boost to NYRA. Toga without the track? be a downer but there is so much more up here, we get revenues from the Racino all Year. Its a year round place with lots to do, not a bedroom community.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Just got back from driving around Delmar, and was not really impressed. The older neighborhood is cute but if we are going to live that far from my husband's job, it may as well be Saratoga. Despite what I'm reading here, though, common sense tells me that real estate values would fall if the racetrack did close.

I found this article about it. What does everyone think?

Imagine Saratoga without racing - Saratoga Seen - Saratoga Springs and Saratoga County news - timesunion.com - Albany NY

Old 08-22-2010, 10:32 AM

207 posts, read 587,365 times
Quote:
Despite what I'm reading here, though, common sense tells me that real estate values would fall if the racetrack did close.

I found this article about it. What does everyone think?

Imagine Saratoga without racing - Saratoga Seen - Saratoga Springs and Saratoga County news - timesunion.com - Albany NY
I'm sure it would have an impact if the track were to close. I generally avoid Saratoga during August because I'm not a big horse racing fan, but I visit often during the rest of the year. Saratoga is busy all summer (and any warm weekend). It is also one of the only lively areas in the winter, but it is not busy then - I'm sure that restaurants take a hit during winter.

However, if the track closure led to widespread closures of restaurants, etc. along the Broadway corridor, then the non-August crowds may disappear as well.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:14 PM

Slow news day at the Times Union.... housing prices have not much to do with the track, 5 hotels opened here in the past 4 Years with a gazillion beds, they came here for the summer traffic.( they would be hurting) People live here because their is stuff to do. SPAC, NYC ballet, many fundraising events, the city in the Country atmosphere,excellent cuisine, Winter and Summer. Winter carnivals etc. Great place to spoil kids! and best of all the one and only "First night" in the area, not to be missed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area