U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 AM

65,537 posts, read 91,343,363 times

Advertisements

Shenendehowa School District, the SD that Clifton Park children generally go to, is also very good. There is plenty of shopping there, but I believe the traffic into Albany can be ridiculous. Scotia might be another area to look at too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 AM

8 posts, read 28,126 times
I grew up in Kinderhook/Valatie/Chatham area. It's beautiful, rural & is a easy half hour to both Albany and Hudson. The schools are smaller than the suburbs you are looking at but offer less in the way of extracirricular. The towns are small & have a nice sense of community, especially if you become involved in local events, clubs, volunteer at the kids' schools. The Berkshires are also a half hour away (full of culture & nice walkable towns).

Clifton Park's schools have a great reputation. It's considered, locally to be a big school district (A few hunded kids in each grade level) and offers a lot of sports and activities for the kids. CP tends to be middle/upper middle class people who are family-centered.

I don't know much about Niskayuna Schools but I'd say they're about equal giving similarities in the populations. Both schools have great local reputations.

Clifton Park has no walkable downtown. It's simply a few highways surrounded by shopping malls, more "upscale" chain restaurants. It does however, offer great access to local lakes.

Niskayuna is an an older community whereas CP has begun growing considerably since, say the early 1990s?

For sailing (!!!) check out Saratoga Lake (they have a great little sailing club if you like to race), Sacandaga Lake or Lake Champlain.

Sailing on the Hudson River is great too, especially once you get south of Hudson, although river traffic can be pretty busy and the water quality is questionable. There are some nice marinas to wander about in Kingston, although I agree, parts of the city are sketchy.

Lake George is beautiful but the southern part of the lake is full partiers and idiots who are ignorant of navigational rules. Northern Lake George (Bolton Landing & north) aka "the islands" or "the narrows" is much more mellow.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 AM

8 posts, read 28,126 times
Saugerties would be excellent too (on the water, beautiful little town..)

Old 12-22-2010, 07:51 PM

74 posts, read 315,774 times
I just put this on another post but I thought this might be helpful info. on this thread....
Saratoga Springs/Ballston Spa/Malta are incredible places to raise kids. If you go on the chamber, go to the libraries, join the YMCA and school programs you can be overloaded with winter, spring, summer, fall activities to abudance. Winter is grayer, can have more ice/rain/sleet but the snow tends to stick around. There's an amazing bike path linkage "ZIm Smith Trail" which you can bike, xcountry ski, run etc... With young kids we go to Moreau State Park, Saratoga State Park and the Battlefield for outdoor adventure. Saratoga and Malta are thriving, not dieing. The Global Foundaries chip plant in Malta is making Saratoga the new "tech valley". The education system is preparing for the new market and amazing. I strongly recommend Saratoga, Ballston SPa, and Malta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area