U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,008 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going to be closing on our first house soon- a 67 year old cape in Poestenkill. We were told during the structural inspection that the attic has a couple inches of vermiculite insulation up there. The vermiculite is:

a. A potential health hazard and therefore will affect resale
b. Not nearly as effective as some of today's insulation products and
c. Currently covering our soffit vents, which also hinders the attic ventilation

In an ideal world, we would love to get it all removed and replaced with fiberglass. But, we have asked around and no one seems to know who handles that kind of thing in the Albany area. So I came here, wondering if anyone here has had it done? Any names you'd like to drop?

Does anyone here have any idea what it would even cost for such a thing? I have heard it is expensive!

If we don't get it removed, our alternative would be to at least clear the soffit vents and lay fiberglass over the vermiculite. But, I don't know if contractors would even be willing to work up there, given the potential exposure to asbestos.

Any advice or referrals would be very much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 97 times
Hi I’ve always used Albany Asbestos.

They were great and a lot of help

There website is [url]www.Albanyasbestos.com[/url]
There contact is +1 (518) 964-2081

We needed extensive testing done in our single Family home. We were initially over our head with the whole asbestos removal process. Thankfully we found Albany asbestos for testing and i can’t think of the removal company that removed the asbestos after the testing was done but if I can remember i will post.

Additionally for mold we used Albany Mold
There info is
[url]www.Albanymold.com[/url]
+1 (800) 727-0806

We uses them for an mold assessment. Their assessors were great and were able to formulate a need ventilation plan that saved us a lot of money.

Jacob
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
View detailed profiles of: