U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:37 AM

32 posts, read 93,341 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in NJ and are contemplating making the jump to upstate NY, specifically the Saratoga Springs region. While everyone else heads south, we have chosen to travel in the opposite direction of the masses. What we are looking for is a solid community, good schools and an area where sprawl is being limited. I'm guessing I could find someplace like this within 10-20 miles of Saratoga which my wife would like to be somewhat close to. Can anyone shed some light on the surrounding areas and what we should expect to find?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 01:24 PM

142 posts, read 754,092 times
Why not consider Saratoga Springs itself? My parents live there and love it. Great community, schools, unique and beautiful homes.
It is getting pricey though.
Joanne

Old 07-03-2007, 05:24 PM

I'm looking to be off the beaten path a bit. Looking to spend roughly 450k with a couple of acres minimum.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:58 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,593,058 times
Default Great call on the Spa

Nice call moving to Saratoga. Don't be a sheep and follow the flock to the boring, sterile Sunbaaaelt. Saratoga is a great town. One of the only places I would move to if the opportunity arose. The town is a horse lovers paradise.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:41 AM

6,345 posts, read 14,170,104 times
Default Headed North not South

We purchased our retirement home in Saratoga (Schuylerville). We are approximately 10 miles from town. We prefer the snow to the heat and humidity. Some of the areas you might consider: Queensbury, Stillwater, Schuylerville, Northunderland. The builder we used did a phenomenal job and is reliable and honest. If you're interested in his name you can PM me and I will provide it to you.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:33 AM

699 posts, read 2,065,907 times
With family in/near the Saratoga area, I have noticed a change in the overall attitude/friedliness of the area. My brother has given up saying hello/good morning/etc.. to people he doesn't know. Many of the newcomers from....er..let's just say...wherever..just give the look back(if they don't avert their gaze)as much as if to say.."What do you want from me?. Hey..but they move there w/$$$, so they must be okay, right?

Old 07-05-2007, 09:07 AM

6,345 posts, read 14,170,104 times
Default Saratoga "friendliness"

When looking into buying in Saratoga we were truly impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the people in the area. We wave to everyone, even when driving and when we closed on our home we stopped by the neighbors and introduced ourselves. We may be "newbees" but intend to adopt the hometown friendliness.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 9,773 times
There are many wonderful communities near saratoga. You are making a great choice moving there! If you are looking for a rural place with a lot of land my recommendation would be Stillwater or Schuylerville. Both are very beautiful and just east of saratoga. Milton is small but nice and is just west of Saratoga. If you are looking for something a little suburban, try Ballston Spa. It's about 5 miles south of Saratoga. Beautiful victorian houses and a really good school system. when I bought my house in Saratoga I found this site to be helpful. It updates every day around 10am. Good luck Albany, N.Y. : Timesunion.com : Classifieds : RESIDENTIAL REAL ESTATE Search (http://www.timesunion.com/classifieds/classsel.ASP?section=4&KeyWord1=&Connect1=OR&KeyWo rd2= - broken link)

Old 07-05-2007, 11:44 AM

Great, thanks for the help. I am originally from NYS and I cannot wait to get back!! Jersey is for the birds!!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:55 AM

18 posts, read 73,296 times
Although I love Long Island, I, too, was thinking of moving my family up to Saratoga Springs a few years back. I researched, and researched the area. We went upstate during the 4 seasons to see how life would be. It was beautiful up in Saratoga Springs! Wait til Christmas, when the main street has the tree lighting and santa greets the crowd, the snow, the atmosphere...all wonderful indeed. It is truly something out of the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life". Very pretty town, and about a mile away, you have the major shopping area, Wilton Mall and many affordable restaurants to dine in. Don't worry because the mall is far enough from the main street of SS to not spoil the classy appeal of the town. Still, that area of NYS is my favorite.

We never did move up there , but we still go up there and I still regret not being able to. My husbands job would not allow him to transfer so we are here on Long Island...I'm not complaining because I love it here, but Saratoga Springs was the place I wanted to go. I still would if things were different!

Good luck with your decisions...it's the right one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area