U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 01:19 PM

43 posts, read 126,529 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am looking to relocate to upstate NY from Long Island. I am familiar with some area's but non mentioned.
I am moving with my husband and 3 small children. Jobs are not important. Schools are VERY important. I prefer smaller schools to big ones, but with a good education. Also, is safety!!
I am looking for a small town, with a downtown/Main St. I want to live on 10+ acres preferably with a view of mountains, or rolling land. (don't we all want that) lol
I like this area I think because of it's proximity to Vermont, Saratoga, and Albany as well as an easy drive to NYC/Long Island.
Our housing budget can go into the 600k range, but we would prefer to keep it below the 400/500k range. From what I read, this shouldn't be an issue, now it is just finding a few places to check out.
Anyone have any info on these area's or other areas?? I'd like a community, with different events going on throughout the year. Near good restaurants and food stores would be good. any idea's?? Tell me what you know about these towns too!
Thanks so much!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 04:15 PM

7,281 posts, read 14,702,728 times
Both Cambridge and Greenwich have a nice walkable downtown, although Greenwich has a Hannaford grocery store while Cambridge is limited to a IGA. Both areas have house within your budget and acreage. Greenwich is also a little closer to the shopping in Wilton and Saratoga area. There isn't much in the way of shopping in Cambridge. From Cambridge you might go to Bennington, VT, although shopping is limited there.

You might look into Schuylerville/Quaker Springs, Northunderland, Moreau, Stillwater areas. It is a 10 miles drive to the shopping area and Schuylerville School District is very good. A few more miles and you are in Saratoga Springs where there are plenty of restaurants, cultural, etc. From Wilton/Saratoga, it is a little less than an hour to Albany, 45 minutes to airport.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 AM

69,772 posts, read 96,595,779 times
Something outside of Glens Falls, like maybe Hudson Falls or Fort Edward might work too.

What does Hoosick Falls have in the way of shopping? It does have a historic district as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosick...toric_District

Also, couldn't people that live in Cambridge or Hoosick Falls go to Troy for more shopping?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Something outside of Glens Falls, like maybe Hudson Falls or Fort Edward might work too.

What does Hoosick Falls have in the way of shopping? It does have a historic district as well: Hoosick Falls Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, couldn't people that live in Cambridge or Hoosick Falls go to Troy for more shopping?
Haven't noticed any shopping in Hoosick. Quite a ong way from Cambridge to Troy. Greenwich to Troy is about 25 miles, so I would think Cambridge would be further.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:18 AM

22,363 posts, read 23,097,395 times
Hoosick Falls and many Cambridge residents do regular shopping in Bennington,Vt
A little less than an hour gives a much larger variety of stores in Saratoga, Albany, Clifton Park and even Pittsfield, Ma.
That housing allowance should get you almost anything you want with lots left over.
Cambridge and Greenwich have more of a 'downtown' area but there is no problem ever, finding a parking space in HF
Bennington, Vt might also be a considertion for you but housing is more.
Oh...the schools in any of the 3 should not displease you.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Hoosick Falls and many Cambridge residents do regular shopping in Bennington,Vt
Bennington has a Super Hannaford grocery store, but the smallest Wal-Mart I've ever seen.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:25 AM

43 posts, read 126,529 times
Thank You for all the great comments!! We are heading up for thanksgiving and are planning on taking a drive through the towns. I don't mind driving a little bit to shop. I need a grocery store to buy milk and bread and etc. But big stores if they are 30 minutes away that is ok. We are used to that now. our grocery store is 10 minutes and closest walmart is 40 minutes.
I can't wait to check it out!!
how are the schools for children with special needs?? We have a son who needs special services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area