U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,862 times

Advertisements

Hey lella,

I know I'll be the unpopular poster on here, and I totally get that Saratoga has a lot of positives. I haven't lived any other place, I was born and raised here and am on this site to hopefully find a fitting place in which to relocate. I'm 23 and ready for a change of pace. I know this town is beautiful, there's hardly ANY crime, which is awesome. You pretty much always feel safe in all areas of town, though some more than others, but still it's just about as safe as any town I can imagine. School district seems to get raves, but again I've never been anywhere else to compare. People are pretty good, definitely no southern hospitality, but friendly enough. Housing market is pretty solid. I would recommend investing in a house once you get to know the area, because the housing market is generally pretty stable here and houses seem to hold their value. A lot of people want to live here; Saratoga is a destination for many people, especially during the aforementioned track season. On the subject of track season, you might love it or loathe it, and I really think you have to experience it to see what I mean. I know people who want to get the hell out when tourists come, and others who eat it up just as much as those who travel across country for the races. If you think it sounds exciting, you might be one of the former (hopefully you are!). Personally, I don't like the congestion; there are a lot of crazy drivers, parking downtown is tough (but probably not worse than in a "big city"-- just MUCH more difficult than other times of the year). There are festivals, like Hats Off, and a lot of bands play out downtown, restaurants stay open later, etc. I know I'm in the minority when I say I find all of this kind of boring, but that's just because its novelty has worn off many years ago. I know it's a great place to raise a family. The shops downtown get old, they're pretty touristy (a lot of horse stuff). Wilton Mall is the closest mall, and shopping there is nothing compared to big cities. Abercrombie, American Eagle, Bon Ton, Sears, JCPenny, are some of the bigger stores...Not so great. Crossgates Mall is about 40 minutes south and that's much larger, way more stores, has a Macy's but still no really good high-end shopping, if that's at all a consideration for you. I went years without visiting a true Tiffany's or Louis Vuitton, but I know for many people that doesn't matter whatsoever. I'm not a huge shopaholic, but when you want a great shopping experience in this area, in my opinion, you really have to travel (or go online, but it's not the same!).

Summers are nice, but they can get really hot/humid. I'm fine with the heat, but winters are HORRIBLE. Winter is the reason I'm considering leaving my family and job because it's just that bad. This is very personal for me, and definitely not as difficult for everyone. But nearly everyone I know talks about moving south when by the time we hit February/March. You might think it's four seasons here, so three months for each season, oh how quaint. Well, it's not. Just in case there's any confusion, our winters begin in November and end in April (just check parking: you aren't allowed to park on the street in Wilton, for example from November-April, because snow is a possibility during that time). It's March 23 right now and we're expecting another 4-6 inches of snow tonight. If you like skiing and other winter activities, that's probably great! But if you need warm weather, just realize that we have 6 months of somewhat nice weather (October can get really cold, too and April is a toss-up) and 6 months of total crap, in my opinion. I know I’m biased, but these winters are totally killing me. I really am just about uprooting my life because of how long and freezing cold (We had a few mornings, or more, I stopped counting, that were –26 degrees. It’s obscene. ) I know quite a few people, myself included, who end up feeling stuck in their own homes because it’s too cold or there’s too much snow. Make sure you have a car with four wheel drive, at least one, to get around up here. I know some people can take it in stride, but if you can’t live without a certain amount of sunlight, or physical activity, or warmth (or happiness, or love, or puppies…just kidding), then I would very much question the move. I’m sure it’s nicer here than in Chicago if you’re raising a family and tired of city life, so for you it would probably be an upgrade. A lot of people pay extra to live here, my family included. I know my parents wouldn’t buy a house in any neighboring town. I know about 90% of people will tell you it’s a great place to live, and the only reason I hate it is because of the weather (and we all seem to get really, really, really bored around town because many of the attractions are exciting for tourists, but get rather old when you live here 12 months out of the year).

Whew I just ranted. Best of luck with your decision and move. You’ll probably love it here, believe it or not, after all of that...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM

6,334 posts, read 14,158,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily8ny View Post
Hey lella,

I know I'll be the unpopular poster on here, and I totally get that Saratoga has a lot of positives. I haven't lived any other place, I was born and raised here and am on this site to hopefully find a fitting place in which to relocate. I'm 23 and ready for a change of pace.
You're young and should try your wings outside the area. We moved here when we retired, but have lived all over the US and several countries outside the US. Interestingly we find many people who live here, especially in the outlying towns, have never lived anywhere else.

There is a world outside Saratoga that you should experience. Do it while you are young rather than have regrets. Enjoy the journey and don't worry about the destination.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:35 PM

267 posts, read 891,122 times
I love sitting on the lawn for concerts or the ballet at SPAC. It's a beautiful area, but expensive.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 31,240 times
Don't go by the taxes in the" Town of Saratoga" compared to the City of Saratoga Springs.My house is a 3bdrm,1 bath ranch with a 32'x16' inground pool, a 7'x10' shed and an attached garage.The lot is 100'x127'.My combined taxes ,school,city and county are $3000.00.The city has everything you may need and the public school is excellent,as are the private schools.We have a problem with the carpetbaggers from downstate who have moved up here,to get away from all the hassels and politics there.Once they have been here,they want to do things the way it was down where they previously lived.Saratoga Springs is not perfect but we have always managed to work things out no matter which political pursuasion you happen to be.The T/O Wilton and the T/O Greenfield border the city and are excellent places to live.The police and fire depts. are among the best, as is the county Sheriff's Dept.Come see for yourself and good luck !!!

Old 04-18-2016, 05:03 PM

64 posts, read 99,856 times
emily8ny, my darling, you don't know hot and humid until you've lived down South. I lived down South for 14 long summers and that was hot and humid.

Anyway, I agree with Ellwood. You are young and should spread your wings and fly. Enjoy!

Old 04-25-2016, 05:38 PM

15 posts, read 13,873 times
Do it. I grew up in Saratoga Springs and lived in Greenfield Center in the woods. It's beautiful year round, lots to do in the summer, good people. Winter is pretty boring. It's getting more built up around the central area these days, lots of rich people coming up and donating their money. Tourist towns in NY like Lake George, Saratoga Springs, Woodstock, etc... are all really amazing places to be if you have the money for it all. The surrounding areas are beautiful as well, lots of hiking to be had.

It's cheaper to live in the surrounding areas i.e Mechanicville, Ballston Spa (south), Galway (west), Glens Falls (north). As mentioned before Greenfield Center which is just north of Saratoga, basically like 'Saratoga Springs Woods' is a nice place to live if you'd like to go out into the country.

Heard a guy walking to the library telling his daughter "honey, this is Saratoga Springs, this is where all the yuppies live."

Unfortunately down route 50 you have Saratoga's shadow: Schenectady. Unless you're visiting Proctors Theater there's not much to really think about down there except maybe if you need to visit a rehab center or deal some drugs.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:51 PM

65,608 posts, read 91,435,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astracat111 View Post
Do it. I grew up in Saratoga Springs and lived in Greenfield Center in the woods. It's beautiful year round, lots to do in the summer, good people. Winter is pretty boring. It's getting more built up around the central area these days, lots of rich people coming up and donating their money. Tourist towns in NY like Lake George, Saratoga Springs, Woodstock, etc... are all really amazing places to be if you have the money for it all. The surrounding areas are beautiful as well, lots of hiking to be had.

It's cheaper to live in the surrounding areas i.e Mechanicville, Ballston Spa (south), Galway (west), Glens Falls (north). As mentioned before Greenfield Center which is just north of Saratoga, basically like 'Saratoga Springs Woods' is a nice place to live if you'd like to go out into the country.

Heard a guy walking to the library telling his daughter "honey, this is Saratoga Springs, this is where all the yuppies live."

Unfortunately down route 50 you have Saratoga's shadow: Schenectady. Unless you're visiting Proctors Theater there's not much to really think about down there except maybe if you need to visit a rehab center or deal some drugs.
No Upper Union Street, Union College Hockey or Jay Street in Downtown Schenectady?

Old 04-26-2016, 10:15 AM

150 posts, read 257,387 times
This might be of interest, Saratoga Springs was ranked in the top 100 small towns/cities to live in the United States.

Saratoga Springs ranks No. 75 on Money Magazine's 2011 top 100 'Best Places to Live'

Old 04-26-2016, 07:19 PM

112 posts, read 207,400 times
The first post in this thread was in 2010. I assume the original poster doesn't need our help anymore, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area