U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 12,051 times

Advertisements

My family is done with city living! My husband is exploring some opportunities in the Saratoga Springs area, and I'm curious about lifestyle up there. We've been living in Chicago for the last 12 years, and before that it was Atlanta, GA. I grew up in small town Ohio, and he in western Illinois. We're ready to reject the urban lifestyle, and we're attracted to the good school districts and beautiful scenery of Upstate New York. What are the pros and cons of living in the area? Do you love it? Do you hate it? Is there anyone out there who used to live in the Chicago area and have any compare/contrast information?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 02:56 PM

65,774 posts, read 91,670,437 times
I'd say pros are proximity to Albany and the Adirondacks, as well as being not too far from NYC, Montreal or Boston. Good schools in the area. It's generally pretty safe. Has a lot going on for a small city for it's size. It's an area/county that has been growing at a steady pace.

Cons might be the tourist traffic during the summer. Saratoga Springs High is pretty big, but it's not the biggest high school and there are other options in the county that vary in size and are of high quality. Taxes will be high relative to housing cost.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 14,177,789 times
We moved to the area from NJ. We love everything about the area including the people. There is so much to do in all seasons. You might explore areas outside Saratoga Springs (Northunderland, Moreau, Wilton, Schuylerville, Quaker Springs, Gansevoort, etc.). We don't experience the lake effect snow and have rarely been unable to go out because of a storm. The only thing I miss about NJ is Costco!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:28 PM

688 posts, read 1,131,049 times
We lived in the area for about 3 years (Albany) and absolutely LOVED Saratoga. If we had it to do over again, we would have found a place to live in Saratoga. It is like a mini- NYC, or mini Chicago- OK, VERY mini- but sophisticated, lots to do, great nightlife, educated community, active arts & culture, great food & drink, etc. The weather in the summer is beautiful- very little humidity and nice and cool in the eves. Fall is spectacular.
You might get a little annoyed with the tourist traffic during Race Season (July & Aug) but there are ways to avoid most of the bad stuff- and there are some good things with that- very lively streets!!! The worst thing about it is that it is in NY. HIgh taxes, corrupt politicians, crazy laws, and police that live to catch speeders.
Actually- Saratoga is one of my "most favorite" places, and I have lived all over the USA. Love it.
Have fun!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 12,051 times
Thanks so much for the replies! I have no idea what you mean by Race Season. It actually sounds exciting. I grew up in a college town, so some of these characteristics sound familiar, and welcome. I am concerned about property taxes and property values in the area. The workplace that my husband is thinking about is actually in Argyle. How is that area? Maybe Glens Fall?

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 AM

6,351 posts, read 14,177,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lella27 View Post
Thanks so much for the replies! I have no idea what you mean by Race Season. It actually sounds exciting. I grew up in a college town, so some of these characteristics sound familiar, and welcome. I am concerned about property taxes and property values in the area. The workplace that my husband is thinking about is actually in Argyle. How is that area? Maybe Glens Fall?

Thanks!
Saratoga Racing Season is about five weeks long. Horses and their owners come from all over the US and the world. We even have the rulers of some countries that have horse farms in the area. During Racing season, once you know the area, it is easy to avoid downtown, should you choose.

Argyle is a small town, like most of them in the area outside Saratoga. It is mainly agricultural. Glen Falls is a nice area, more built up than Saratoga. Property taxes are cheaper than SS.

There is a database for Saratoga, which could give you an idea of taxes. We are in the town of Saratoga, Quaker Springs area. With property of approximately 3 acreas, 2000 sq. home, workshop, in ground pool, two storage sheds $8000 (school and town).

Old 11-11-2010, 07:29 AM

I think Queensbury and Lake George might have relatively lower taxes on average than some of the other communities in the area. They would be good options too.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think Queensbury and Lake George might have relatively lower taxes on average than some of the other communities in the area. They would be good options too.
You can check that right here: Tax Rates (http://php.democratandchronicle.com/tax_rates/ - broken link)

Old 11-12-2010, 11:33 AM

263 posts, read 570,954 times
Health, History, Horses. That is the town's motto, we have been living here 7 Years now, love it, moved from NYC. However we do miss the big City, people are ver nice, Its a slower pace, Summers are great, racing season is a 5 week partyyyy! Adirondacks are great. its also VERY Republican, if you are wondering. Only caveat for us is the high taxes, if you want to live in a nice size home, we will not stay here to retire, School taxes are very High. Lots of Jewelry stores and High End buildings going up, its loosing its City in the Country appeal, trying to be a "Hamptons" (as in LIsland) resort type town. Jobs? do you need them? get ready to take a rather large pay cut from Big City type salaries.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 PM

3 posts, read 11,061 times
Do it! You won't look back.

I grew up in New York City, have friends who live in Chicago. I know all about big city living. In 1981, we bought a "camp" (summer house) on Saratoga Lake (part of it is actually in Saratoga Springs; the rest in surrounding towns). In 1999, we bought a year-round house 2 houses down from our original one.

If you need your "big city" fix, you can drive to NYC or Boston in about 3 1/2 hours. Otherwise, you will never need to leave. Trust me.

We bought our house up there because of thoroughbred horse racing. It's one of the most beautiful tracks in the world, and even the locals usually go to the track at least once or twice during the season. Yes, there are lots of people in town, and parking is brutal, but the tourist industry is what sustains many of the local businesses - small stores and wonderful restaurants, in all price ranges. So you might want to avoid the center of town during the season (now up to 40 race days, ending on Labor Day, racing 6 days a week, so it starts around July 23rd or so).

There are many places to live in and around Saratoga. You can live in the city or outside. We are outside, but it's only 4 1/2 miles to the track and 6 to the center of town.

If you have any questions, just ask! I love to talk about Saratoga.

Valerie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area