U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:48 PM

9 posts, read 26,736 times

Advertisements

My husband has received a job opportunity that will move us to the northeast. With such a broad area to choose from, we have looked outside of DC (Ashburn, Va) to the upstate NY area. We have found a lot of great info about Saratoga Springs. What can you tell me about the area? Is it worth a visit to check the area out? We have 3 children 11, 9, & 7. We are looking to spend approx. 600,000 on a home. The more you can tell me about the area/schools the better. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 PM

69,614 posts, read 96,441,591 times
Saratoga Springs is fine and the schools are good too. There are some areas just outside of the city limits in the SS school district too. You also have other good school districts nearby like Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, Ballston Spa, Shenendehowa(in Clifton Park) and Schuylerville. Niskayuna in Schenectady County isn't too far either.

With your price range, you can find something really nice. So, you don't have anything to worry about. Tax rates are pretty high, but you can also find a nice home for half of the price you mentioned too.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:24 AM

688 posts, read 1,155,781 times
you should visit Saratoga. Great place to raise a family, but also there is plenty of fun for a couple (or singles for that matter). We have lived just south of Albany for almost 3 years and are now leaving- if I had known how great Saratoga was when we first moved here, I would have insisted on living there- regardless of the terrible commute to Albany for work.
Go for it!

Old 11-12-2010, 05:34 AM

7,266 posts, read 14,689,258 times
We live 10 miles outside of SS and absolutely love the area. Definitely worth a visit. Schuylerville School District is very good.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Do a search on this thread for Saratoga, it should answer some of your questions.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:25 AM

For Saratoga County specifically, check here: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

and for some nearby SD's in Schenectady County like Niskayuna, you can search here: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

This is another good website to look at school info. in NY: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2009&county=Saratoga (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2009&county=Schenectady (broken link)

and for other area districts: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/Home.do?year=2009 (broken link)

Old 11-12-2010, 07:27 AM

9 posts, read 26,736 times
Thanks for your response! We are definitely keeping Saratoga Springs on our list! I do have a question you may be able to answer...my girls do competitive cheer...Do you know any gyms in the area? Also, my son does ice hockey...Do you know of any programs in the area? Thanks!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:06 AM

I believe that Saratoga Springs has a Hockey team and I'm sure there are youth programs in the area. I'm not sure about competitive cheer, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have in the area.

Also, to view homes, this is a great website for all of Upstate NY: Upstate New York Real Estate

Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 AM

This could in terms of youth hockey: Junior Phantoms Youth Hockey - Saratoga Springs, Glens Falls, NY and search Saratoga Cheerleading Program for possible information on competitive cheerleading.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 PM

220 posts, read 484,409 times
At the high school level hockey in Saratoga is quite popular - many of my classmates played and also participated in youth hockey before they reached high school. You could also check out Saratoga Youth Hockey: Saratoga Youth Hockey - Blue Knights (http://www.saratogahockey.org/index.php - broken link)

As for cheerleading, the high school team was not competitive, but a Google search might turn something up - it appears that there is now a stronger team that is running a competition at the high school. Your kids aren't that age yet, but it's something to keep in mind.

With your budget, you might take a look at some of the houses in Wilton (right next to Saratoga and within the school district). That's become a very desirable area in recent years, although it is fairly removed from the downtown area. With your budget I'd guess that the only thing you'd have trouble affording locally are the mansions and possibly some of the newer luxury condos on North Broadway.

Growing up in Saratoga Springs was great - as a kid, you tend to think it's boring, but as an adult, it's easy to appreciate it and I always look forward to going back to visit. I received a great education from the public schools and had plenty of things to do outside of school as well. The area is beautiful, and if you enjoy outdoor activities, there's plenty to do in both Saratoga and in surrounding areas. Good luck with your decision!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:22 AM

6 posts, read 31,542 times
Inetlom is a little misinformed about cheerleading at Saratoga High.In recent years they have been very competitive in national competitions,especially at Disney World.You can check with the school system.Also the high school hockey is currently 9-1 with a win over St.Joseph's Collegiate.St. Joes is always one of the top hockey schools in the state.The youth hockey program is also one of the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area