U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 05:18 AM

219 posts, read 513,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Suggest you rent for a few months before moving. We take RV to FL for a couple of months in winter from upstate and always are happy to return to NY.
I agree. Some of my experience includes a condo cooling system that frequently "froze" during the months of May through September - when the inside coils literally caked with ice at night when it got relatively cooler but high humidity. It ends up blowing 'warm' air and I've had to go without (or turn on the HEATER) to melt the ice before morning. Not a good night's sleep for a working dude.

Also I've routinely "squeegeed" my windows before sun rise and driven 45 minutes to an hour or so in traffic (to go 13 to 23 miles) daily. That's ok in the morning but in the afternoon, it's brutal especially if you wear a tie or similar work apparel. You'll have to think about tinting for the windows.

Also one should always consider exposure to the sun. Building a good resistance is counter productive, considering what the sun can do to the body on a daily basis. The earlier analogy about living inside an A/C bunker wasn't too far off, even for those with good sun conditioned skin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 09:54 AM

275 posts, read 729,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersied View Post
Also one should always consider exposure to the sun. Building a good resistance is counter productive, considering what the sun can do to the body on a daily basis. The earlier analogy about living inside an A/C bunker wasn't too far off, even for those with good sun conditioned skin.
The UV index in the Orlando area routinely hits between 11 and 12 (out of 16) every day from about May till September at least. There's no conditioning your skin to that. That magnitude of UV index is downright dangerous without some pretty intensive protection measures. It is even recommended that you pretty much avoid outdoor exposure during this period altogether. And even if you are at the beach under an umbrella, the sand and water reflect the UV rays right at you anyway.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,961 times
awwww... I must say I lived in the Capitol District Area... I moved to Florida and I love it!!! Its absolutely beautiful. Its now three and a half years and... believe it or not we as New Yorkers are spoiled. Anyhow, i am struggling with the idea of going back home. Ultimately, I am not completed with my career and Florida is not the place to progress. If I was done and set .. then maybe. But there really isnt any incentives or thrives out here. It truly is a retirement state. I love it but... I must go home, I still have goals to reach.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 PM

12 posts, read 36,642 times
I'd like to hear more stories....

Old 07-23-2011, 01:22 PM

205 posts, read 356,882 times
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by llong View Post
Half of my family live in Florida and every year around holiday time I toy with the idea of moving there. I really like Saratoga Springs though miss the comfort of family. Anyone out there move to Florida and then back to NY?
I'm planning to move next summer to Plattsburgh,ny... my mom moved us to south florida from the north east when i was around 9yrs old...and i moved up to northern florida for college a few years ago... I hated both spots...still do... so my fiancee is going to get his associates here and then next summer (hopefully) we're out of here... I miss the cooler weather and the outdoor activities like balloon festivals, craft shows... tubing in a river/lake that doesn't have gators in them!!!!

I think the choice of moving from the south to the north... or vice versa is all about what you want for yourself...if you like areas that are rapidly developing then staying down here is good... but if you like things old and just the way they are then the north is better...

anyways thats how I made my decision... ill be able to tell you by next year if i made the right one or not LOL

***edit***as for moving away from family... you can always fly them up there or fly back down here anytime southwest airlines has some good prices!

**edit again*** forgot to mention I LOVE HIKING and well........ Florida is flat..... you can't have that amazing accomplished feeling of reaching the top of the summit and looking out around you... and I agree with everyone else about it being boring here/ lack of arts& entertainment... im a dork I love war reenactments and history related stuff...the only place that gets me through here for history/arts etc... is St Augustine... I LOVE that town so much... but im willing to leave it to be able to have more towns like it up north... if that makes sense

Last edited by theeclipsedheart; 07-23-2011 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 01:31 PM

205 posts, read 356,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-BG View Post
I visit Florida every year for the month of July and have not had this happen, so maybe you need to adjust your thermostat and stop exagerating.
LOL sorry but I have to agree with what apriljem said about the sweat... ive lived here for 13 years and they're right... you're always sweaty and the AC just doesn't cut it sometimes... also some parts of Florida are hotter than others... ironically where I live now is hotter (North Florida) than where I lived in southern Florida

I would recommend visiting here for longer than a month to see if you enjoy it still

Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 AM

508 posts, read 766,107 times
The City of Albany itself is decent during the Fall and Spring months. Both Summer and certainly Winters are rough. Naturally, Winters are best spent in Florida. Oh, and to be clear that is the only season I will ever spend in Florida. I'll never do another Summer in Florida.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:46 AM

26,589 posts, read 58,212,360 times
I grew up int he Albany/Saratoga region, lived in Syracuse and NJ for a total of about 14 years before ending up in Florida. Most of my immediate family is still in the Albany Saratoga area, and I have many friends and a large customer there, so I'm in the area regularly.

I love it here. Contrary to public opinion, we do have four seasons. Our summers are oppressive, I'm not going to lie. The leaves do change on some of the trees in the fall, and our falls and springs are glorious. This past winter was tough all over, and Florida was no different. While we didn't get snow, we had unseasonably cold weather for an extended period. I had icicles hanging off my palm trees. I have seen it snow in Orlando. Only once. The flurries were really tiny and melted as soon as they hit the ground, but still, it was pretty neat.

There is a lot to do here. I live in the greater Orlando area. I seldom visit the tourist attractions (Disney, Universal, Sea World, etc.) but there is so much more to do. We have great museums, performing arts, art galleries, wine bars, restaurants, not to mention 1001 things to do outside. Tourists don't know about the best things to do in Orlando, you don't find out about a lot of the great stuff until you live here and learn through word of mouth.

Our job market is challenging. If you are in certain fields you'll be able to find a job, but not all. If you are an experienced BSRN, physical therapist, or a handful of other medical specialties, you'll easily find work. Same thing with a few other fields, including special ed or ESL education. There is definitely room for career growth in some industries, and we have a handful of major corporations headquartered here, including Amway (yes, I know), Tupperware, and Darden Restaurants (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Capital Grill). We also have a new medical college and medical city being built.

Pay scales seem to be pretty on par with what they are in the Albany area, housing costs are similar as well. You can buy a $10K mobile home or a multi-million dollar home in a gated community. I live in an area very much like Clifton Park in demographic composition. Lot's of subdivisions with 1800-3400 s/f homes, overall pretty much middle income. A few higher end neighborhoods, a few lower end ones. We also have rolling hills here, just like CP. Lot's of bicycle teams train here, and there are Iron man events here.

Winter Park will remind you of Saratoga, and Orlando and Albany have a lot of similarities, except that overall Orlando is cleaner and overall has a more vibrant downtown area.

Some of the schools are pretty bad, some are exceptional. We don't have districts like NY does, but rather schools are run by the counties.

Anyhow, if you want specific information, please ask away. I think I have a pretty unique perspective as I have lived in both areas and continue to have close ties to Albany/Saratoga and visit it regularly.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:55 AM

26,589 posts, read 58,212,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeclipsedheart View Post
**edit again*** forgot to mention I LOVE HIKING and well........ Florida is flat..... you can't have that amazing accomplished feeling of reaching the top of the summit and looking out around you... and I agree with everyone else about it being boring here/ lack of arts& entertainment... im a dork I love war reenactments and history related stuff...the only place that gets me through here for history/arts etc... is St Augustine... I LOVE that town so much... but im willing to leave it to be able to have more towns like it up north... if that makes sense
Come down to Lake County and hike. You'd love the view from the top of Sugarloaf Mountain! We also have a ton of arts and entertainment in the Orlando area. You could go see a live band every night of the week (and not some smarmy Holiday Inn lounge band, either!)

Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 AM

69,680 posts, read 96,502,564 times
It is tough to compare Orlando and Albany due to Albany being much older in terms of growth, Orlando is much bigger land wise than Albany to the point that Colonie and say Guilderland would have to be in eluded/annexed into the city of Albany and Albany in turn is more dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area