Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 PM

20 posts, read 103,513 times

Advertisements

"Anyone move from Ny to FL and regret it"

Every. single. minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:52 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I despised Florida, moved there from NY state. Hubby's idea. We lived more rural too. Double whammy. I liked Ft. Lauderdale--only city I could stand and nice for vacations...only. I can't even remember 1 nice thing about it except driving out with the U-Haul. Remember that day well.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:29 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
FL does not have four seasons as one poster alluded to. It will be 80 degrees on Christmas Day in Orlando. And that is what it will be throughout most of the state.

Every once in awhile an artic cold snap might come through for a couple of days, but that is about it.

At least the humidity has gone away.

But there is no such thing as four seasons in FL, and everything is one color GREEN. You don't have the beauty of flowers blooming in the spring that other states have.

The state is as flat as a pancake for the most part with the exception of of some very small hills(you can't even call them hills).

There is a poster on the board now who had to leave NY because it was too cold....sigh.

Well they have themselves in a bad part of South FL in a rented townhome with their kids. They have been there for two months and have seen drug exchanges and the police were called due to a attempted stabbing in another unit.

They signed a year's lease and don't know what to do.

What is scary is children are involved. It's one thing when adults don't plan a move well, it's another thing when children are involved.

FL seems to attract a lot of people who don't plan well. It amazes me how many people think they will be just be able to find jobs.

It's funny people move to FL to get out of the cold and then spend more time indoors due to the oppressive heat and humidity for at least 6 months.

It is very pleasant in the winter, but 7 or 8 months of horrific heat isn't worth it for 4 or 5 months of moderate weather.

Last edited by seain dublin; 12-23-2011 at 12:48 AM..

Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 AM

20 posts, read 103,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is very pleasant in the winter, but 7 or 8 months of horrific heat isn't worth it for 4 or 5 months of moderate weather.
Every year I have to remain here, I look forward to December for its dip into the 50s, 40s and 30s in the middle of the night... but like you mentioned earlier in the post, this blasted year was nothing but 80s. I've spent the entire month sitting inside my apartment with the AC down to 60. Thank god it's an energy efficient device.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 10,173 times
I regret it too. Can't stand it. Every single day, I bang my head against the wall.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:38 PM

49 posts, read 180,110 times
Yes. I was dragged here. the homesickness for the north gets worse and worse. As others have pointed out, there isn't much to do but shop and eat. I miss seasons, terrain and culture. And weather..even snow. Four kids later it is not easy but maybe the door will open.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:49 PM

370 posts, read 1,366,003 times
Default I would NEVER live in Florida

No way...I have relatives down there and as we know it's the playground of NYers or snowbirds but not while I have children!!

I do not think Florida is family friendly unless you have lots of money to live in the best places.

I have family friends who love to 'na-na' our weather in NY but who cares? I was in Fl. one time in July and it was TERRIBLE.

I don't do well in heat.

Forget it. These days Florida is 'not cheap' either.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 PM

188 posts, read 276,859 times
Bunch of bitter folks in here that didnt plan well, I'm 33 and moved to fla from queens, ny a few years ago and doing well in my own house living in windermere. Looks like a bitter bunch that didnt do enough planning and will be miserable anywhere they move. Take my advice, plan first, post last

Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyanese View Post
Bunch of bitter folks in here that didnt plan well, I'm 33 and moved to fla from queens, ny a few years ago and doing well in my own house living in windermere. Looks like a bitter bunch that didnt do enough planning and will be miserable anywhere they move. Take my advice, plan first, post last
You may be correct in that some people didn't make better plans, but there are somethings that you cannot plan ahead i.e. missing family and friends, culture, things to do that interest you, illness. You are a young person and many posters are older and possibly more set in their ways. They may not have been able to handle the heat, as they thought they could either.

Before you make a broad statement about being bitter and miserable, I think you should show a little understanding.

The unemployment rate in FL is one of the highest in the nation. We travel through FL every year to the Keys and the amount of closed businesses, empty stores, foreclosures and houses for sale, does not make moving there very appealing. We are snowbirds and leave when it starts to get hot and return to the beautiful north country.

In your case, you made a plan and are happy with it. Great! But FL is NOT for everyone.

Last edited by Ellwood; 06-14-2012 at 07:06 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If you like heat and humidity for most of the year then Florida is the place to be, if you dont like heat and humidity then stay away from the Sunshine state as its going to relegate you to an air conditioned environment for the best part of 8 months a year..
We moved there (St Pete)from England when i was young, didnt take long to discover i couldnt handle the heat after working for many of my earlier years outdoors in construction i finally got a break and my Uncle sponsored me on a move to Montreal where i've been for the last 40 years,Yeah we get a few hot days up here but the heat doesnt last long and as for winter? for some strange reason i love the cold
For me Florida is a nice place to visit once in a while..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area