U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,146 times

Advertisements

We will arrive in Albany homeless sometime next week. We are fleeing Arkansas and a violent school district that beats children with wooden boards on a daily basis. We are a single mother and 3 children ages 7,8, and 9. Any advice on where to go or where to reach out for help? Or how we might be received?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 PM

6,322 posts, read 14,151,283 times
Capital City Rescue Mission - Homepage

Old 12-31-2010, 01:13 AM

6 posts, read 31,236 times
I think that you should probably try going to Saratoga Springs,then ,as soon as possible go to Social Srevices in Ballston Spa for any kind of assistance.The school district is excellent and soc. serv. also. Good Luck!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 PM

263 posts, read 570,036 times
A School District that beats Children? public School? really? not sure if Albany is the answer.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:50 PM

13,818 posts, read 26,203,689 times
just curious...why Albany?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,146 times
Albany is home to one of the only democratic "free schools" that is actually accessible to low-income families. We are in Albany now, have been since the night of January 6th. Haitus has been
helping us and we have been to social services twice now but still no food stamps. No sure why but that is becoming a real burden for the children. A food van came today and brought some free food but I can not go with out milk so I have to buy that out of the little cash I have left that I was saving for bus fare to get to job interviews and such. I did get a few bus tokens as well. The children were finally able to start school today after a long process. I just got back to the room after walking a mile in the cold. I was sorry I forgot my hat but it was managable. We are for the most part comfortable being housed in a motel with a great working heater, cable TV (the kids love that) and even free wifi which is an unbelievable bonus given I have a laptop.

The process of being homeless is incredibly difficult though especially being all alone as a single mom not knowing a soul and I can see that it will take an iron will to get through this. But what I can tell you is this. People in general seem very friendly and helpful. There is a refreshingly different attitude towards children that allows them to be just that..children. New Yorkers have a way about them, I think, they are tough on the outside (not everyone but a lot) but once you get past that (you are tested and have to pass) what you find is a genuinely decent human being.

All in all, I'd have to give Albany a thumbs up but there are still mountains to scale and just when
you think you've lost your footing or the next ledge is out of reach, out of no where someone gives
you a hands up. So it's been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area