U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 02:34 PM

47 posts, read 83,303 times

Advertisements

I guess I am cross posting: Changing my mind and posting here... I guess I am interested in the area a little south and east of Albany - Countyside. Looking for a small village with U-pic farms and artist life.

I have been looking at some maps on factory farming and organic hot spots in the country. I have also looked at housing and some has popped up on country festivals and the Renaissance Fairs. Life style is way more important than job and I am lucky to be able to buy a house almost out right for up to 200k. I hate cleaning big homes but love to garden. My husband is very handy and can build a house. I am hoping to travel to see my southern family in the worst of the winter or even go to CA.. but I also love to do lots of hobbies and lay low during those months and can make lots of soups if I can have a freezer full of veggies to draw from. (I would probably go all raw during the summer!)

My biggest draw is the organic food. Also I saw a number of artist on Etsy that I would buy things from and feel very inspired to make. I love going to festivals.. but I would also be attracted to traveling all over the NE come spring and take on the whole region's museums and parks with my kids. When it isn't about the school system - I think it is about the nature and the beauty of the area and the relativity of 400 miles to other interesting things to do - as a classroom.

This region has very few factory farms (only one for beef cattle) and the rest are dairy.. I think I could live with that... Tons of Organic food here.

Also there is a Waldorf College and I am very interested in the art classes that I could form with other fellow homeschoolers that might be inspired by the regions feel. I am hoping to find a very crunchy vibe that is also a bit indie, gay friendly or open, but could totally be a little "Bedford Falls" ... Have I found the Hudson Valley?

Where else? Should we go North of Albany?

My mother and 2 sisters are in TN and NC.. I was raised in TN. It is a two sided mind set there. The people there are sweet and kind and so very welcoming, but I think they are in the majority of what I can't agree on.. It kind of hurts their feelings I think. They want to be free and be them, loudly, with passion, as they should!!! I think it is like personal space I have to respect... I know I will have to collect and find my own group but... I want my kids to grow up in the majority of my blue views and that to be more of the normal.. the vibe is different and I want it for them. I don't want strip malls or big box stores to be in site if I can help it... More artists please.. and what inspires them. Music is also a great one! A beer or bowling alley doesn't hurt or even a hole in the wall dinner... It doesn't have to be fancy.. but I don't want to have to explain a ... I guess a "anti-liberal" .. well.. I guess a crowd of them.. I know a few are here and there... but up North.. the strong Bible peeps can be almost hippie and mellow - that one please (I love you guys!)

Thank you so much for any clues!!! MUh!

My husband was raised in the Finger Lakes. We both have a feeling about being closer into the New England Area to be more of a lifestyle of country beauty with artist, nature lovers, small music friends, libraries to be the main focus and then three hours away to get a "super learning" exploring by paying attention to what is going on in the area's museums and visiting then as well as festivals that are more green and natural.

I really don't want to explain to my children early on the type of mainstream people that are unhealthy even though they are wealthy enough to make better choices -don't. I really don't know how to explain this one... But it seems to be a clash and sensitivity that ****I***** find in places that are anti gay because of a religion that is big in the town, strong presence of military training and housing, large pro-lifer populations. I want a strong liberal place but that is totally country, I want to walk to the library, to a play ground (are at least a park) and feel a stream or running water near by. See wild animals!!! Not just farms, but be near some real animals still making their own homes.

My husband and I also think making a point each year to participate in the Renaissance Festival would be an excellent learning opportunity and great fun for our own playfulness!

I want to be as green and cheap as I can - walking a great deal and driving once or twice a week. We will not need much until High school age and if we can cover the arts locally, we could do the sciences and math all on the internet by then! I am not much for sports, but I could encourage one season of all ages sports if enough kids were around bored enough to play Baseball or Soccer!

I want a community!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area