U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 03:23 PM

299 posts, read 934,654 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a possible move to Albany for a (possible) job. I'm trying to research housing options in prep for both the move and for salary negotiations.

Can anyone please provide rental information on the Center Square area? And/or neighborhoods directly surrounding it?

Specifically, I'm interested in general rental costs, personal experiences with a rental agency, building, etc., and whatever else you're able and willing to share.

I am looking at Center Square because that is where the job is located, so it's just a start point. I would consider a commute, however, so bring on the recommendations if there is another area I should be looking into.

(And yes, I'm aware of craigslist ... this post is for finding out some first-hand info.)

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 AM

724 posts, read 578,301 times
I live in Center Square and used Craigslist to find my apartment. You can also look up Hamel Real Estate, which is located in the neighborhood at Dove and Hamilton (note: I am not a real estate agent nor do I have any connection to them. I just know that they are in the neighborhood and a good resource). Immediately south of the neighborhood is Hudson Park, across Madison Ave. This is a slightly less nice neighborhood but one that I consider very charming and if I was going to buy in Albany, I'd buy there. You don't want to go north of the neighborhood, across Washington Ave, to Arbor Hill. In Center Square proper there are plenty of apartments that normally rent for app. $600-800 for a 1bd and $700-1000 for a 2bd. My partner and I pay $725 for our 2bd, but we also receive a discount for extremely basic upkeep (we're talking taking out the trash and shoveling).

If you work in the neighborhood you may even want to consider not owning a car. It's very walkable and probably the best connected to transit in Albany. I only recommend this because parking can be a pain. There is an Enterprise location on the other side of Empire State Plaza, which is about a 10-15 minute walk depending on where in the neighborhood you are. Some apartments provide off-street parking, but it is rare and there is usually a fee. It's not that big of a deal but it can involve driving around the block a few times. There is also the option of living on Willett or State St next to the park, which is an absolutely gorgeous neighborhood. I walk through there on my way to grad school classes and always take my time on the way back and enjoy it.

Sorry if I wandered around a bit there. If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to help!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 PM

Great - thanks for the feedback. I found a possible on State St. so it's good to hear something positive about it! I'll also look into Hamel.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 PM

724 posts, read 578,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasia View Post
Great - thanks for the feedback. I found a possible on State St. so it's good to hear something positive about it! I'll also look into Hamel.
Ohhh that's awesome, State St is my favorite in the area. The architecture is absolutely gorgeous!! I live a couple blocks over but still just love it. Good luck on your move!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Bumping in case anyone has other suggestions for rentals in the Center Square or oulaying areas ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area