U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 AM

30 posts, read 79,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j12308 View Post
If you are coming this way for a job at the chip plant and willing to leave your beloved city of Pittsburgh, I suggest you rethink your attitude
It's a 9 year lucrative contract and my brother's family lives up here. I've lived in in the four corners of the United States, so I have a point of comparison.
Pittsburgh - 20 years; SoCal - 4 years; Seattle - 4 years; Orlando - 3 years; Albany - 6 months

Quote:
Starting off by bashing the landscape, the homes, various cities in the region isn't gonna make you a lot of friends. Nobody wants to hear a boat load of negativity.
Even if it's true? I'm just comparing Albany to what I've experienced in other parts of the country. Albany has little to offer except for inflated home prices and high taxes, thanks to NY state corruption and the exodus of those from NYC. It sucks living in a valley that's more than 1 hour to any geographic diversity. And 6 months of Winter - what's up with that?

Anyway, just like any city in the U.S. (including Pittsburgh), there are outlying areas that are trashy and dilapidated -- Schenectady and Troy would be the ones applicable to Albany. Stop defending your home town... sheesh. My brother's family who lives in Albany will tell you that Schenectady is one of the first places a native Albanian will tell you to avoid moving to. In any case, when I move, I will continue to bash the overall area to everyone that thinks it's a great area to snap them out of their hypnotic dream and into reality. There's only so many times I can take my daughter to see the horse races. After a while she'll ask about other animals. Maybe I can take her to the Albany Aquarium (i.e., strolling along the polluted banks of the Hudson watching the mutated fish get swept downriver)

Quote:
There's little more that I could ask for honestly.
Seriously? In Schenectady?!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM

334 posts, read 778,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefromthecure View Post

Even if it's true? I'm just comparing Albany to what I've experienced in other parts of the country. Albany has little to offer except for inflated home prices and high taxes, thanks to NY state corruption and the exodus of those from NYC. It sucks living in a valley that's more than 1 hour to any geographic diversity. And 6 months of Winter - what's up with that?
Oh, gee, I think I have to agree with j12308. I moved here after living in other parts of the country, and, yes, I was a bit depressed about what I had left behind, but soon learned that there is lots to love about this area as well. With the attitude you are expressing, you may never find those things in your 9 years here.

Yes, we are not Pittsburgh with loads of hills and rivers, but there is way more geographic diversity here than lots of other places, including my hometown of Boston. And 6 months of winter, are you kidding me? You obviously haven't spent much time in the Upper Midwest. Albany ain't Florida, but it's not that different from Pittsburgh. I have been to P'burgh twice this month, so I have a teeny bit of knowledge.

Quote:
In any case, when I move, I will continue to bash the overall area to everyone that thinks it's a great area to snap them out of their hypnotic dream and into reality.
Actually I wish there were more residents here that do think it's a great area. One of my biggest gripes about the Albany area is how much natives complain about it. They have no idea what they have. Cost of living is low (I know, not compared to P'burgh according to you, but definitely compared to everyplace else I've lived.), friendly people, lots of accessible art, wonderful old brownstones with ornate details, great hiking, loads of kids camps and enrichment activities (My husband worked in Chicago in the summer, and was shocked to find, after spending weeks investigating day camps for our daughter, that there was a greater variety of interesting all-day camps in Albany than in Chicago.), a wonderful library system. . .

Quote:
Seriously? In Schenectady?!!!
I live in Albany, but Schenectay has lots of cool stuff too.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 AM

263 posts, read 581,723 times
You dont get it is all..... Prices here never declined like the rest of the places you lived in, analyze that for a while, people come back here from all over the Country, and especially the South. You dont really have to worry about reselling your home for 60 cents on the dollar, you wont like it anywhere, you have a high maintenance attitude, leave us, please.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:34 AM

7,273 posts, read 14,696,188 times
racefromthecureis certainly entitled to his/her opinion of the area. Like others on various forums someone reading an entire thread can see one person's negativity versus others positive experience.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:14 AM

688 posts, read 1,156,148 times
IMO, but who am I to say?
Albany- worst place I have ever lived
Schenectady- S**T hole. period.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:08 AM

30 posts, read 79,512 times
I here ya! Probably the worst place in the country to raise kids from what I hear.
Every other "city" I know of has at least a zoo/aquarium, a science center, or a children's museum (or all of them!). Albany has none of this. Do you think my kids will take up drugs due to the boredom of Albany or will they just hang out at the cultural mecca that is Crossgates?

Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM

263 posts, read 581,723 times
There is good and bad in all towns around here, like Schenectady bad might be better then good, Albany probably 60 good 40 bad, Clifton park 80/20 and so on. thats just me, I worked or lived in all of the above.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 PM

688 posts, read 1,156,148 times
Quote:
I here ya! Probably the worst place in the country to raise kids from what I hear.
Every other "city" I know of has at least a zoo/aquarium, a science center, or a children's museum (or all of them!). Albany has none of this. Do you think my kids will take up drugs due to the boredom of Albany or will they just hang out at the cultural mecca that is Crossgates?
Crossgates, definately

Last edited by marska; 03-29-2011 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-30-2011, 05:47 AM

334 posts, read 778,445 times
Quote:
Um, Albany is a lot smaller than Pittsburgh or Boston or Washington DC, so we don't have "big" stuff, but I can ALWAYS find something for my kids to do. Have you folks that are bashing it even look at the Parent Pages or the Metrolands Family Calendar or the parenting blogs on the Times-Union web page? For free this past month my kids have been to a Lego convention at UAlbany, Teen Japanese lessons at the public library, school club sponsored by NYSERDA helping the school save $$$ in energy, bike riding in Corning Preserve, and Police Athletic League Clubs (in Albany, PAL offers free and low cost lessons in all sorts of sports, chess, clubs, band, field trips, etc.)

For $$, there are tons of options. Arts Center of the Capital Region in Troy has great programs for kids, teens and adults - the recent schedule includes pottery, manga and anime, dance, jewelry making, cartooning - to name just a few. This past Friday was Kids Night Out at Troy Night Out where galleries and museums had specific family-friendly activties. However, I often take my family to Albany's First Friday and Troy Night Out, and they enjoy it. Albany Institute of History and Art has family studio days a couple of times a month, included with admission - my teen Girl Scout troop did a great activitiy a couple of months ago based on the museum's Shoes Exhibit where kids made their own decorative, arty shoes.

Outdoor activities abound - hiking, rock-climbing (there are indoor rock gyms in both Albany & Schenectady), bike trails, canoeing. For museums, try the Children's Museum of Science & Technology, the State Museum, Iroquois Indian Museum, Schenectady Museum, Saratoga Childrens Museum, Tang Museum at Skidmore (which also has great family programs). Local historic sites also have reenactments, old-fashioned games, storytelling, and other programs in the warmer weather. Start with Historic Cherry Hill, Schuyler Mansion, Ten Broeck Mansion. Ten Broeck Mansion offers a fabulous archeology camp, by the way, where kids are doing real archeology, on a real site, led by read archeologists.

YMCA has teen clubs, teen nights, Black & Latino Achievers group, teen community service groups, and Fun Days for days off of school which include trips to parks, Howes Cavern, laser tag, etc.

Well, I could go on and on, but I have to go to work. If you are looking for the Bronx Zoo or the Museum of Natural History, you won't find it here (although they are about 2.5 hours away). If you are willing to look around a bit, though, and look beyond the AAA guides, there is tons to do.

I grew up in Boston, and do miss big city life, but I don't think my kids are being deprived culturally by growing up here. And the great thing is, they can actually do more here because your money goes a lot further.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 AM

267 posts, read 905,990 times
sarchivist98, Wow great post! Lots of stuff I didn't know about. I agree there are lots of great things for families in this area. I hadn't heard about the Troy Night Out that was geared towards family. I missed that some how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area