Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,455 times

Advertisements

My husband may take a position for the state of New York in Albany. Is the Albany Academy a good choice of school and what is the most, upscal, white collar, desirable-kid friendly neighborhood nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 08:15 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msoran View Post
My husband may take a position for the state of New York in Albany. Is the Albany Academy a good choice of school and what is the most, upscal, white collar, desirable-kid friendly neighborhood nearby?

Albany Academy is a good choice, but pricy. I dunno what you consider to be a kid friendly neighboorhood.... personally I looooove the neighborhood around Albany Academy but I have a feeling you mean something more suburban, in which case any suburb is more or less interchangeable around here. Bethlehem, Guilderland, the the Saratoga County suburbs are the most upscale I guess.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 13,973 times
Loudinville and North Colonie are both very nice. Start your searches there. Where are you reloctaing from?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 PM

8 posts, read 29,197 times
This post will probably be too late for you. Good luck wherever you settle. There aren't really any genuinely upscale kid friendly neighborhoods within walking distance of Albany Academy. There are some world class suburban public schools within easy driving distance of Albany, if that's where your husband will be working. Only two families I know personally who've sent their kids to Albany Academy lived in Albany. Both of them had kids who got beat up repeatedly in the public schools. Over the last few years unfortunately Albany has become a genuinely dangerous place for school age kids, particularly if they're out on the streets on their own. I'd look at the North Colonie Schools district, Niskyuna, Vourheesville, Bethlehem, and Clifton Park(Shenendahoa school district).

Old 11-18-2008, 04:11 PM

93,262 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I think the Bethlehem area might be the best choice, as that is the closest suburban area to Albany Academy. What the area around the school though? How are the neighborhoods around Hackett Boulevard/Whitehall Rd. and New Scotland Rd?

Old 11-18-2008, 04:20 PM

93,262 posts, read 123,898,066 times
also, some other choices might be Doane Stuart, Holy Names for girls and Christian Brothers Academy for boys. I think Doane Stuart is Pre K-12, Holy Names has a Lower and Upper School and CBA goes from grades 6-12, I believe.

Here's information on each of the schools named:Welcome to the Doane Stuart School | Doane Stuart

Academy of the Holy Names, Albany New York

Christian Brothers Academy

Here's another one:Bishop Maginn High School - Bishop Maginn High School

and some more:Faith in our Future - Our Schools

Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 AM

59 posts, read 287,918 times
Doane Stuart will be moving across the river to Rensselaer in the Fall of 2009, so maybe the Academies (boys and girls) would be a better choice. If you didn't mind public schools the North Colonie School District is a great place. It is were kids from Loudonville go, and the area is big enough that you could find a great place to live. Off of Route 9, near Siena College or off of Albany-Shaker Road are some very nice places to live and shop. Let me know if you need anything else.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,687 times
We have been at the Albany Academy for five years. All my childs classmates including basically all of the school, boys and girls, live everywhere but Albany. The kids come from all over, as far north as Queensbury NY, Saratoga, Ballston Spa, Clifton Park, Bethlehem, Delmar and further sourth. The Academy kids get together and mingle with their friends from school for plays, birthday parties and occasional sleep overs. It is "common" to travel, eat in the car etc for many of these students. It is pricy however; they offer scholorships "financial aid" with payment plans to assist families if needed. Excellent school, better then any in the area. One on one teaching, all the help you need, top notch education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area